Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 22,333 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on moving into a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment in the northern suburbs and we're trying to figure out how much monthly utilities will be. Specifically electric and heating, since most complexes cover water and trash.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,879 times
is it gas heat? apartments are cheaper than houses, and i paid about $130 in energy costs for my house during November -- and it was 7 DEGREES WARMER THAN NORMAL

Old 01-05-2010, 06:05 AM

292 posts, read 891,793 times
Heat is included in most complexes in the area that I've ever looked at. If heat isn't included see if the have a second or 3rd floor apt. for rent. In the place that we rented before we bought we lived on the 3rd floor and I doubt that we ever turned on our heat. As for electricity when we rented we paid right around 75/mo and that was with my wife and i working opposite shifts so someone was pretty much always in the house and awake.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:26 PM

174 posts, read 470,489 times
You can call the energy company and ask...they'll give you averages for both and also high and low over the last year. Just give them an address and unit #.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:16 AM

138 posts, read 370,710 times
I agree with 2nd and 3rd floor apartments. I don't pay for heat. But I don't have to turn it on until outside temp gets to about 20 degrees. And I have never paid more than $50/mo for electicity. And I have lights and tv on all the time.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:24 AM

71 posts, read 130,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBeanTM View Post
My husband and I are planning on moving into a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment in the northern suburbs and we're trying to figure out how much monthly utilities will be. Specifically electric and heating, since most complexes cover water and trash.

Thanks in advance!
Is there really an average? How much money you spend on heating depends on the square footage of your home, the efficiency of your heater, and how well insulated is the house. It also depends on how often someone opens the door, vent, or window. You can lower costs by using a geothermal heat pump instead of a natural gas heater. Build a house with thick walls with fiberglass and fiberglass in several layers in the attic with an insulated floor. Carpeting all round helps with heating but not for the allergies. Build a house with low ceilings. Not so low that tall people bump their heads walking through the doors but low enough so the heat won't go so high up, lower ceilings keep the heat closer to the floors where the people are living. Also use air ducts that are built inside the living space. Placing the heating ducts inside the attic so it is out of view is very inefficient.

You can also use big reservoirs of water that get heated by solar heat panels during the day and heat the house at night. Electric solar panels and solar water heaters for the pool and indoor plumbing are not a bad idea either. You can even use a gray water storage tank to store water from the showers and laundry to be used to flush the toilet and water plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul