Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,824 times

Advertisements

They are starting this next fall to protect the feelings of poor kids whose parents can't afford to buy treats for the class.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 10:07 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,223 times
You know what- for several years in elementary school, I attended a school where most of the students' parents had a lot more money than my own. A common practice after coming back from winter/ christmas break was for the teacher to have us all go around in a circle and tell the class what we got for Christmas. Not only was this unfair to any students whose families did not celebrate, it generally always made me feel the need to lie/ grossly exaggerate what I got in order to not be embarassed in front of the class for my lack of receiving a similar amount of gifts. I'm in favor of anything that prevents students from feeling like s*** in front of their entire class because their family might be struggling.

We were never allowed "treats" in our elementary school anyways, whether it to be candy, cake, other sweets, etc.- the faculty didn't want to promote or condone the eating of unhealthy foods in a classroom environment (or eating at all in a classroom for that matter- it's a pain in the ass for janitorial staff and teachers in keeping things clean)- somehow we managed to live. I say good for ISD 196.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:03 AM

418 posts, read 906,554 times
I live in this District and am COMPLETELY supportive of this. I'd support school uniforms too.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:32 PM

501 posts, read 1,945,904 times
We're not in that district but my daughter's teacher asks everyone to not provide treats for birthday celebrations. I don't know that it's a district thing, but it has nothing to do with "poor families"...she feels that everyone gets too focused on the treat and loses sight of the reason there's a celebration in the first place. The format for her celebrations are very wonderful and all the kids enjoy them and seem to survive perfectly without the treats.

We also have various classroom parties where there's always some kind of treat (and games and crafts, etc) plus kids bring crazy things for snacks or lunches...if it's THAT important to have a sweet in relation to a birthday celebration, then make a note to serve one at your kids home celebration.

I tend to think parents react more to everything while their children could really care less...and if the kids REALLY get bent out of shape over not having treats one day of the year...well, that's a moment for us as parents to reevaluate the priorities/values we teach our children.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:32 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
I agree with it. With the explosion of child obesity in America, eliminating junk food 25-35 times a year for children in the district is a positive counter-active step.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:36 PM

989 posts, read 2,961,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
They are starting this next fall to protect the feelings of poor kids whose parents can't afford to buy treats for the class.

Thoughts?
I mostly agree with everyone else who posted so far. Birthday parties are best in the home environment with the childs friends. School time is best spent on learning. 25 or so parties a year is a waste of time.

A slightly different approach - have birthday celebration once a month and everyone can bring a treat for themselves or not. Could also ask for a volunteer to bring a treat for everyone and rotate that. 8 or 9 months a year, so not everyone would have to step up.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:46 PM

54 posts, read 179,694 times
I live in ISD 196, and I am generally in support of it. I can imagine it being pretty ostracizing for a kid to bring in stickers or other "cheap" treats when some other kids bring in pizza, cupcakes, etc. on birthdays. There's no reason you can't celebrate a kid's birthday in other ways and keep people from feeling left out, and banning treats is a good step towards doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: