Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 07:15 PM

46 posts, read 125,773 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has recent experience with the following schools: Thomas Lake Elementary in Eagan, Black Hawk Middle School in Eagan, and Eastview High School in Apple Valley. I'm considering buying a home in the attendance area for these schools, and I'm looking for information since I can't visit them in summer. It looks like they have pretty good test scores, so I'm just wondering what the schools are like. (I don't have kids in school yet.) I'm interested in info about academics, extraurriculars, etc, and how satisfied parents have been with these schools. (Since I have daughters who probably won't be playing football or hockey, I don't really care how good the football or hockey teams are.) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 08:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Excellent schools, great extracurriculars. They are VERY strong in Debate, many, many national champions. Speech is also very good. Their girls sports teams are very successful. Girls Basketball has been very good lately. The buildings are fairly new and have all the "stuff" you would expect in schools today. Eastview has a reputation for being a but uppity but not everyone there is like that. Keep in mind that you also have the option of open enrollment so if you get down the road with the kids and they don't like it, you have the option for other schools in the area as well. We have several kids from the Eastview area open enroll in our high school for the band program.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Excellent schools, great extracurriculars. They are VERY strong in Debate, many, many national champions. Speech is also very good. Their girls sports teams are very successful. Girls Basketball has been very good lately. The buildings are fairly new and have all the "stuff" you would expect in schools today. Eastview has a reputation for being a but uppity but not everyone there is like that. Keep in mind that you also have the option of open enrollment so if you get down the road with the kids and they don't like it, you have the option for other schools in the area as well. We have several kids from the Eastview area open enroll in our high school for the band program.
By uppity do you mean snobbish or materialistic, like kids feel pressure to wear certain brands of clothes and that kind of thing? Ugh, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I'm also really interested in the School of Environmental Studies High School. That school looks amazing on their website. Do you have any experience with SES? Do you know if it's just for juniors and seniors?

Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm2010 View Post
By uppity do you mean snobbish or materialistic, like kids feel pressure to wear certain brands of clothes and that kind of thing? Ugh, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I'm also really interested in the School of Environmental Studies High School. That school looks amazing on their website. Do you have any experience with SES? Do you know if it's just for juniors and seniors?
Yes, that is what I mean. If you want more down to earth, look in the Roesmount area, especially in the Rosemount Elementary/Middle boundary. It's a good, solid, town, kids at the school are just solid, down to earth kids, jeans and t-shirts are the way to go, labels are not important the student parking lot looks like a student parking lot and not and executive parking lot .

Yes, SES is just for juniors and seniors. Our oldest looked into going to the school and several of our neighborhood kids have attended there for a while but switched back to Rosemount. If your child is and extreme environmentalist, it's a good place to be. If not, probably not a good option. It is very much a place where most of the work done is done independently and if your child isn't highly motivated and on top of things, probably not a good fit. All kids have the opportunity sophomore year to do a tour over there so when the time comes you can learn more about the school.

One thing with the 196 schools though, if there is a class or two that your child wants to take at another school, like SES, they can--they just need to get themselves there and back. Our son took a class at Eastview his junior and senior year, for example. The counselors worked his schedule at Rosemount so he could get back and forth easily. Several kids at Rosemount take a class over at SES, especially kids thinking about going into veterinary medicine. The district has set up foreign language classes so each school offers a few and if you want to take a different one, you can take it at that host school. It's a wonderful option.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:05 AM

464 posts, read 803,390 times
Regarding the SES, it is a great school if that's where a student's interests lie. A couple of friends of mine who work in animal care/veterinary medicine went there, and they loved it.

As for the materialism/snobbishness, every school will have that to some extent, but it will also have plenty of kids who couldn't care less about it. I wouldn't let that be a major factor in your decisionmaking and a reason to avoid an otherwise good school.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
Regarding the SES, it is a great school if that's where a student's interests lie. A couple of friends of mine who work in animal care/veterinary medicine went there, and they loved it.

As for the materialism/snobbishness, every school will have that to some extent, but it will also have plenty of kids who couldn't care less about it. I wouldn't let that be a major factor in your decisionmaking and a reason to avoid an otherwise good school.
That is true, but is is more prevalent at some schools and it does make it much more difficult to fit in if you do not live your life that way. I disagree that it shouldn't be a factor in your school choice though. We eliminated Eastview from consideration when we moved to town for that very reason. Our son ended up taking a class over there and we know we made the right decision. I agree, it is a great school, we just liked the overall feel and programs available at Rosemount.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That is true, but is is more prevalent at some schools and it does make it much more difficult to fit in if you do not live your life that way. I disagree that it shouldn't be a factor in your school choice though. We eliminated Eastview from consideration when we moved to town for that very reason. Our son ended up taking a class over there and we know we made the right decision. I agree, it is a great school, we just liked the overall feel and programs available at Rosemount.

Do you think that Eastview HS is more snobby than Southwest HS in Mpls or Edina HS? I'm guessing that any high school with a lot of students from wealthy families will be more snobby.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm2010 View Post
Do you think that Eastview HS is more snobby than Southwest HS in Mpls or Edina HS? I'm guessing that any high school with a lot of students from wealthy families will be more snobby.
I would say it is on par with those 2 schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul