Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:12 PM

501 posts, read 1,945,387 times

Advertisements

After we moved to Mpls we discovered that we are no longer in Qwest's DSL service area, so we felt our only option was Comcast.

I'm now trying to figure out whether there are any other options out there for phone and internet (our bundle expires soon and I can't justify paying Comcast's regular prices). For convenience sake, it'd be nice to have both from one company but I'm more interested in price & quality. To be honest, I don't really feel a difference between Qwest's DSL & Comcast's High Speed. I had no complaints with DSL so I'd definitely be open to comparable options.

I know about USI (the wireless option in Mpls), just mostly what I've read on this site, and though I saw many legitimate concerns in earlier posts it seems that the more recent posters are sharing positive experiences. Have they ironed out their kinks? I've determined that we are in their service area (not in what they dub the "Challenge Areas") but how do I know how far from their transmitter-thing we are? <~That seems to make a difference in quality of reception. Also, how does their 6Mbps service compare to Qwest's DSL?

I'm not interested in Dial-up...so what are my internet options? Aside from Qwest, Comcast & Popp Comm, are there any other land line options?

Your feedback is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 03:48 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
Why don't you try calling up USI? I called the number on New Year's day and received an operator (that's right, no automated message) with no wait time. The rep was very informative and friendly so you should have no problem getting all your questions answered.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:19 PM

501 posts, read 1,945,387 times
I did do that; he was helpful and actually even looked up the locations of quite a few nodes/radios near our property.

I'd still be interested in knowing about experiences as of late (Slig, did you end up getting the wireless? How do you like it?) & about phone company options though...I know land lines are going out of style but someone on here must have one.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:27 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
I got the modem installed but we use laptops and they connected it in the kitchen where the strongest signal is so I'm going to need to hook up a wireless router before we start really using it. I won't be able to fairly evalutate it until that takes place.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:24 AM

12 posts, read 35,176 times
Talking Internet DSL

Hi. I have been searching for high speed and also found that qwest does not service the area we are living in. Their page referred me to Wildblue which was $$. Any thoughts on this? Is comcast the only option?

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 6,067 times
I've been a USI wireless customer since 2006 and I've used it extensively for work since 2009. I have to say that I've not been impressed. The service hasn't improved that much since i started using it for work 2 years ago. I probably have to call them with issues once a month and 1 out of 3 of those times usually requires someone to come out to my house and look at things. I acknowledge that this could partly be a problem with my location (South Minneapolis) but it has been a VERY frustrating experience to say the least. My signal is frequently low even though I'm sitting directly in front of a window that faces the street and there is a node less than half a block away. I also have an external antenna and that has helped some but it still isn't extremely reliable service. The only reason I've stayed with them so long is because of the price. They are only 14.95 per month if you sign up for the annual payment plan which is half what Qwest charges. My annual payment is up in March and i'm seriously considering switching providers so I'm curious if anyone has any ideas.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:50 PM

256 posts, read 585,927 times
I had USI Internet. You can't beat the price. But I found it to be inconsistent. It could be very unresponsive, I had to cycle the power on the wireless modem a lot. I had someone come out and fix it, and it worked well for a while, but then the performance began to degrade. I got frustrated and switched to Qwest. I might consider trying USI again if they got some of their problems worked out.

They do have pretty good service though, you get to talk to a local technician, rather than someone across the planet reading irrelevant things from a script.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:34 PM

409 posts, read 1,241,049 times
Clear is also an option. They recently rolled out 4G service in the Twin Cities, and it is very fast. It is about as fast as Comcast's higher-end service, depending on how many people are on your cable node, and it is signifcantly cheaper than Comcast's comparable service. It also has no data cap (unlike other 3G/4G providers, and is much cheaper than Verizon or AT&T (other companies we looked at). The one drawback with Clear is that, as a wireless service, the latency is pretty high. Our Comcast service had excellent latency (18-25ms for local servers), but Clear's was just terrible (generally upwards of 150ms, often as high as 250ms, even for nearby servers). While this has minimal effect on the average internet user (you may or may not notice it while browsing, but it won't affect downloads), it makes any sort of online multiplayer gaming all but impossible.

BUT-- This varies widely based on your area. The great thing about Clear is that they have a 10-day trial, no questions asked. I was skeptical at first, but we went out, signed the contract, paid the first month's fees, and took the modem home with us. 8 days later we came back, told them we couldn't deal with the high ping, gave them the modem, and two weeks later we got our money refunded. No paperwork, no hassle. If you are looking for high speed service, but gaming isn't an issue, I'd give them a try; there's no reason not to.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,085 times
Where in Minneapolis do you not get Qwest DSL service? I live in the deepest depths of N Mpls, and my 1.5 mbps DSL works just fine - even better than my S Mpls residence last year. It's as fast as I need.

Last edited by audadvnc; 01-25-2011 at 10:40 AM..

Old 01-25-2011, 10:18 AM

256 posts, read 585,927 times
I only recently was able to get Qwest's 7 mpbs DSL service in South Minneapolis. They came through the neighborhood this summer installing fiber optics in the neighborhood, before that, only 1 mbps was available. So, the level of access can really vary depending where in the city you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul