Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 09:17 PM

12 posts, read 34,001 times

Advertisements

I'm moving back to Minneapolis (Linden Hills/ Fulton to be specific) from the SW suburbs in the next few weeks. One of the interesting decisions we have is what to do with our internet service. I've been a Comcast customer for years and don't necessarily have any problems with them but I've never considered different options.

I work from home so a strong reliable connection is very important. The USI WiFi network in the city seems intriguing but not sure if this would be a good option for me. What have folks' experience been with this service or other options for high speed internet in Mpls? What are some of the pros & cons of going with a service like this or something like Comcast or Qwest? I also have a Verizon4G MiFi device I use when on the road that I'll be able to use to supplement whatever provider I go with.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 08:37 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,432,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po2ter View Post
I'm moving back to Minneapolis (Linden Hills/ Fulton to be specific) from the SW suburbs in the next few weeks. One of the interesting decisions we have is what to do with our internet service. I've been a Comcast customer for years and don't necessarily have any problems with them but I've never considered different options.

I work from home so a strong reliable connection is very important. The USI WiFi network in the city seems intriguing but not sure if this would be a good option for me. What have folks' experience been with this service or other options for high speed internet in Mpls? What are some of the pros & cons of going with a service like this or something like Comcast or Qwest? I also have a Verizon4G MiFi device I use when on the road that I'll be able to use to supplement whatever provider I go with.

Thanks!
I don't have any experience with it, but these options...
USI Wireless - Pricing Information
don't strike me as particularly appealing. I think you can get at least 7Mbps through century link for the same or cheaper (they were advertising $20/mo recently), and I think their upload speeds are much higher than 1Mbps. Going from cable modem to this I think you'd find the speeds to be fairly limited.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:19 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,247,326 times
Clear WiMax is another option. It is the same service that Sprint is using for their "4G" connections.

Wireless Internet - Mobile 4G Wireless Internet Access from CLEAR

Old 09-26-2011, 12:24 PM

409 posts, read 1,244,640 times
Don't forget that it's not all about bandwidth-- latency matters too. Depending on your specific location, clear/version can have crazy latency.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:27 PM

12 posts, read 28,970 times
I have USI and I would rate myself as "satisfied", no better no worse. We have had outages, but we also had outages with Comcast, despite the fact that with Comcast we were connected via wired. I estimate I've had about 16 hours of downtime in the past year, which rates out to 99.8% availability.

If you are willing to bundle services and work hard to continually get Comcast to extend your promos or give you the latest and greatest, Comcast will have a better price. We were pissed off by the lack of transparency in pricing (never could answer how much we actually were paying for any single service) and found that sales reps were empowered to verbally offer promos when we asked for them but never apply them. Once we switched our home phone from land line to cell phone, our bundle prices vanished and that hastened our move to USI. I'd make it again.

It's also nice that anywhere in town where you can pick up the USI signal, you can use the service

Qwest/Century Link is very similar to Comcast in terms of approach, pros, cons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul