Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 04:56 PM

10 posts, read 45,554 times

Advertisements

We just moved to the 55418 area from Wisconsin (St Anthony), my GF got a better job here (and I found a job better then I had already in the week we've been here). We're needing some advice. I'm usually pretty efficient with the google searches, but being this is a city the size of Africa (so it seems sometimes), it's hard to filter through it all. Hoping some of you can give a good suggestion.

We don't care much about tv. We have cell phones, we don't need a landline. We don't need a "Bundle". We just want wifi internet that our laptops can tap into. Any good suggestions for a good wifi internet plan that does that job, more then one person can be on at once that doesn't cost a grand a year?

Much appreciated for any advice you all can offer.

Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,018,243 times
Clear 4g wireless internet About $40/month , http://www.clear.com/coverage

For WiFi you still will need a wifi/router that the clear modem plugs into. You can pick one up any any of the big box store for about $40

A nother option is to see if you can teater your cell phone to your laptop, or setup a cell phone hot spot. I Think sprint does for a $20/month add on fee to there unlimited data plans.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:50 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,426,380 times
CenturyLink w/o phone starts ~$20/mo for 1 year, then goes to $45/mo after that for 7Mbps. I think the modem rental is something like $5/mo plus some misc fees and such, but it will be fast enough for streaming video and multiple laptops to log on. Pretty reliable, too.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:06 PM

10 posts, read 45,554 times
Thanks so far. I found the thread about "comcast" - doesn't look pretty. My neighbor has nothing but bad to say about them. So, if anybody comes along and wants to suggest them, already looked into it. Going to look at these few alternatives that have been posted here, thanks.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 PM

319 posts, read 529,181 times
Century Link, USI Wireless, and Comcast are the three options. Century Link or USI will probably work best since you don't want to bundle. I've switched back and forth between Century Link (and it's former incarnation: Qwest) and USI. Generally pleased with both, but the speeds on USI could be a bit faster. If you don't have a direct line of sight to a USI node out a window in your place, the quality can go downhill quickly with USI. Century Link is pretty cheap during the promotion period and if you threaten to cancel when the promotion ends, they'll usually extend it for you. If they don't, then just cancel and use USI or Comcast briefly, then switch back and sign back up for Century Link under the promotion.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:18 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,030,062 times
A lot of people have problems with Comcast, but I haven't ever had issues and usually pretty good customer service. I have up to 20 mpbs with a special that $29.99 a month. The special finally expired and I went up a few bucks a month, but nothing horrible. I'll probably call anyway and ask them to lower it (a friend just signed up for service and the guy told her to call after it expires as they'll give her the lower price again). Just food for thought...sometimes Comcast works well enough (and for $30/month, it's not too bad of a price).

Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 AM

464 posts, read 803,974 times
I'm paying $35/mo right now on my introductory period of service with CenturyLink (including modem/router rental), which will go up to $40 once that period ends. So far I haven't run into any issues with them.

I didn't have anything against Comcast's service or speed, but I didn't like that they charge more to rent a wireless modem, and I really didn't like that, when I dropped my cheap cable subscription (just the main networks and a few other random channels), they were going to raise the price of my internet service accordingly.

I was really intrigued by Clear, as I only need internet on my laptop and thus was just going to get the USB stick, but I've heard mixed things about them.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,018,243 times
Can't speak to Clear in the MSP area... But I have Clear in Atlanta, and also have heard people having issues with the Clear USB Sticks also. But since Clear is Cell Tower Based and laptop tend to be used in different places I can see issues.

I have a "Home" modem that I have plugged into my router, For the best signal I have the modem in a Upstairs bedroom window, where I can see the tower. I get about 20mbs with 5 bars upstairs. From my home office on the ( back of the house, 1st floor away from the towers ) the modem drops to 3 bars and about 6mbs.

I think you get a 30 day trial period to see if where you are, gets a good signal. Also there coverage map if you zoom in enough it will show the towers they are on.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,555,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wauzoo View Post
Thanks so far. I found the thread about "comcast" - doesn't look pretty. My neighbor has nothing but bad to say about them. So, if anybody comes along and wants to suggest them, already looked into it. Going to look at these few alternatives that have been posted here, thanks.
I've had Comcast and they have always given me trouble. Prices were decent for a little bit, but customer service and quality were not decent. I hope you can find better.

For example: I cancelled my service on the 20th of December because I moved out of state. I went to the store, turned my stuff in, paid what I owed, and left. What do I get in the mail here in Georgia the other day? A bill! What?!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:12 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,677,819 times
Buy your own cable or DSL modem to avoid the modem rental fee.

You can choose one with built-in wireless, or you can buy a separate wireless router which plugs into the cable or DSL modem. Functionally, there is no difference whether you use a modem with built-in wireless, or use your own wireless router plugged into a non-wireless modem.

The in-between option is to rent the cheaper non-wireless modem, and buy your own wireless router.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul