Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:11 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Please describe that area.
Oh, certainly, do elaborate. Penn Avenue North can be quite different depending on the block. Penn Ave between Olson and GV Road is different from Penn Ave up by Crystal Lake Cemetary.

(BTW, I act somewhat differently walking around if I'm dressed like I'm not street-smart, so I somewhat understand, but I wonder if it was more in your head than in the heads of the "other guys.")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 12:55 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,223 times
Gonagle - from the description it sounds more like he was right around Brooklyn Blvd & 50th which is in Brooklyn Center when the incident happened - his next stop was on Penn & 44th (which yes is in Mpls) where he got off. I check all of the neighborhood crime reports every week and didn't see this incident which makes me think it was technically in B.C. or another neighborhood.

Penn & 44th is very nice, it's the center of the upcoming Holiday on 44th celebration on Dec 5th, and is home to Sauced (reviews here and here), Steamworks Coffee, Emily's Family Restaurant (review here), Mighty Stitch, Domino's Pizza, HRC, a hair salon and barber shop - all very nice locally-owned businesses. Our neighborhood actually has plans to do a full-scale redevelopment of the intersection to add in better curbs/ crosswalks/ sidewalks/ lighting/ pavers and new boulevard trees/ landscaping (and possibly some new community gathering areas) around the entire area of Osseo Road/ 44th/ Penn/ Oliver. Dowling (where Crystal Lake cemetary starts) to 44th is a nice stretch of very well-maintained older homes lining the street. Going south of Dowling to Lowry on Penn there gets to be a concentration of apartment complexes in the area, not bad but not very great either, then you come onto Lucy Craft Laney school before reaching the new development on Penn/ Lowry which would be the northeastern border of Willard-Hay neighborhood where Mr. Northside lives (so the walk is at least 1.5 miles from 44th/ Penn).

My car once broke down on Fremont Ave N around midnight a few summers back and had to walk a long stretch of it to get home (lived in Webber Camden at the time), nothing happened but as the news had just profiled a number of muggings in that area right around the time it happened, it's funny how your mind will play tricks on you.

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 11-22-2008 at 01:16 PM..

Old 11-24-2008, 12:03 PM

86 posts, read 481,919 times
Has anyone looked at the most recent shot spotter?

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/poli...ShotsFired.pdf

The only two shootings look to be about five or six blocks from 44th and Penn.

Comments?

Old 11-25-2008, 12:04 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Yeah, check out Corcoran...not even a reported shot fired anywhere near it. BOO YA

Old 11-25-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNorthSide View Post

Comments?
No shots of any type anywhere in my neighborhood - which is the same neighborhood that 44th & Penn is in- and for the record, it's six to seven blocks (somewhere between Humboldt and James Ave N), which is about a 1/2 mile east of 44th and Penn. And I thought the incident you mentioned was what, 4 or 5 weeks ago now? And happened on 50th and Penn??? which would make no sense why you would be there, in the middle of a residential neighborhood, if you were travelling from brooklyn center to willard-hay by bus, but hey, i guess taking a couple of roundabout transfers to mosy around out-of-the-way neighborhoods makes sense. To me your story doesn't add up - there is no straight shot from 50th and Penn to 44th and Penn, there are a whole slough of railroad tracks that you can only get over on brooklyn blvd or humboldt ave n.

Show me a shooting (and not a "sound of shots fired" as that is totally unreliable) from the time you had to walk home from 44th/ Penn to the Willard Hay neighborhood at 11:00 at night.

Questions? Comments?

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 11-25-2008 at 06:18 PM..

Old 11-26-2008, 06:46 AM

You've got to be kidding me, Mrs. Northsider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
No shots of any type anywhere in my neighborhood
So what about your neighborhood?

Quote:
it's six to seven blocks
Okay, so I said five or six blocks, after glancing at a map with no street names.

Quote:
which would make no sense why you would be there, in the middle of a residential neighborhood, if you were travelling from brooklyn center to willard-hay by bus, but hey, i guess taking a couple of roundabout transfers to mosy around out-of-the-way neighborhoods makes sense. To me your story doesn't add up - there is no straight shot from 50th and Penn to 44th and Penn, there are a whole slough of railroad tracks that you can only get over on brooklyn blvd or humboldt ave n.
Why don't you check the bus routes (www.metrotransit.org) before you go spouting nonsense? You have lost any shred of credibility you may have had, by insinuating that I am lying about the bus routes.

You are right, the incident I brought up earlier did happen a while back. Now the newest shot spotter reports only two shootings... Are you making reference to the violent trends in the Victory HOOD, which are often swept under the rug?

I only posted that link to the shot spotter in response to your rose-colored assessment of 44th and Penn. I realize that you are trying to promote a positive image of the North Side, but this is not Mayberry. This is not Leave it to Beaver Land. When you pretend the negatives do not exist, when they obviously do (watch the news much?), you just make people wonder how much truth there are to the positives.

Quote:
Show me a shooting(and not a "sound of shots fired"...from the time you had to walk home from 44th/ Penn to the Willard Hay neighborhood at 11:00 at night.
What does that even mean? What iz you smokin'?

Last edited by MRNorthSide; 11-26-2008 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 11-26-2008, 10:46 AM

19 posts, read 67,003 times
Quote:

Comments?

Those two confirmed shootings look to be on 43rd and James, and 44th and Irving, both of which are in the Webber-Camden neighborhood (and only a few blocks away from me!). Wonder what happened?

Old 11-26-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Why don't you check the bus routes (www.metrotransit.org) before you go spouting nonsense? You have lost any shred of credibility you may have had, by insinuating that I am lying about the bus routes.

I only posted that link to the shot spotter in response to your rose-colored assessment of 44th and Penn. I realize that you are trying to promote a positive image of the North Side, but this is not Mayberry. This is not Leave it to Beaver Land. When you pretend the negatives do not exist, when they obviously do (watch the news much?), you just make people wonder how much truth there are to the positives.
Gee, I hope I can get back a shred of credibility here - I'm assuming you take the 5E from the B.C. Transit Station (http://www.metrotransit.org/images/routes/005.pdf (broken link)). I'm not so much insinuating that your incident didn't happen but am mainly just bothered by your lack of geography knowledge in the area of the city that you live and travel every day. First you said it happened in Brooklyn Park, then you said it happened on Brooklyn Blvd before 44th & Penn, then when asked to clarify, you said, oh yeah - you're right, it was on 50th & Penn, which would be many blocks east of the 5 route (in a residential area of Shingle Creek) that goes from B.C. transit to 44th & Penn - when I asked again for clarification, no response, but then you felt the need to refute my "rose-colored" portrayal of 44th/ Penn even though we still don't know when or where the original incident that you brought up (and brought about all this discussion) actually happened. Are you new to the area? Are you unfamiliar with streetnames? As to my depiction of 44th/ Penn, someone asked for a description of it and I described the area to them as I know it from being there on about a weekly basis to either on a walk, go out to eat, stop at the nbrhd office, or attend a play - it's definitely not bad (and in my view is actually pretty nice), you'd have to be from "Mayberry" or "leave-it-to-beaver land" to think otherwise.

Of course crime happens here and in the area as a whole - we're in the damn city and that's a given that everyone should know about - similarly, I'm assuming that anyone that has the knowledge to find their way to this board also has the ability to look up public crime statistics with even the most basic amount of internet knowledge (or by doing a simple search on here). Have I ever heard gunshots or witnessed a drug deal up here? - of course I have, I have never said that crime doesn't happen or isn't on the Northside (including my own neighborhood), but I'll admit that I do get bothered by people like yourself that live in the area and take cues from the media by going about focusing on all the negatives (actual or perceived), even in areas you're not even that familiar with (which I'm assuming you're not by not knowing major street/ thoroughfare/ intersection names and/or what city you're in). Have you said anything positive about the northside or your own neighborhood on this board? Maybe, I haven't seen it....

Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomrun View Post
Those two confirmed shootings look to be on 43rd and James, and 44th and Irving, both of which are in the Webber-Camden neighborhood (and only a few blocks away from me!). Wonder what happened?
From the 4th precinct Highlights & Crime/ Arrest Stats - only 1 confirmed shooting in the 4th precinct that week and occurred on 44th/ Irving - pasted below:

4TH PRECINCT HIGHLIGHTS - WEEK 564 – NOVEMBER 11 - 17, 2008

The MPD provides this public safety information as a public service. These highlights are not reflective of all incidents handled or investigated by MPD during this time. All persons are considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

44TH & IRVING FRIDAY 2228 HOURS 08-351831
Taliban gang members disrupted a party and when the party broke up shots were fired striking an 18 year old black male w/28 CAPRS once in the lower back. The victim transported w/a non life threatening injury. Officers were unable to locate a suspect but did recover approximately 11 shell casings from the street and a replica handgun in a backpack.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:34 PM

You crack me up!

Quote:
I'm assuming you take the 5E from the B.C. Transit Station
You know what they say about assuming...

Quote:
Three weeks ago I was riding the #19 bus in BP and we caught a stray bullet through the windshield. There are gang tags all over the place. Judge for yourselves, though.
Quote:
I do get bothered by people like yourself that live in the area and take cues from the media
Which media are you referring to? I was talking about a first hand experience.

Quote:
you'd have to be from "Mayberry" or "leave-it-to-beaver land" to think otherwise.
Judge for yourselves!

I'm gonna cut you some slack, since you are obviously a transplant. But, really... what the hell are you smokin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul