Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 10:48 PM

9 posts, read 31,996 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I'm a 24 y/o college grad living with my boyfriend of 5 years in Memphis, TN, and I'm in the process of applying to be a flight attendant for Mesaba. I've been looking for somewhere (anywhere!) to move, because I've been in Memphis my whole life and I need a change. I know Mesaba has a base in Minneapolis, and I'm thinking if I get the job I could transfer there. The city really looks cool (no pun...) based on initial research.

We'll likely take only one car (his), so I'm really hoping there's some kind of light rail or other transport to the airport from the downtown area - I'd like to not have a car anyway : ) Also, I'm an artist and my boyfriend is a musician, so we're definitely looking for an artistic community. It would be great if things didn't shut down at 9pm every night as well! I hear the parks are beautiful there, which would make me very happy. I think I saw a photo with a waterfall. We don't have that here in Memphis...

I know the weather is going to be a complete 180 from what I'm used to, but my mom is a northerner and the cold runs in my blood - I can learn to handle it!

How's the rent in the downtown area? My salary would be around $20,000 to start I think, plus whatever my man brings in.

Any general feedback would be awesome. Thanks so much!!

Whitney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 07:27 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,395,681 times
A light rail line connects the airport to downtown with 16 total stops. I live about 6 blocks from the Lake Street/midtown stop and love my neighborhood. You sound like you'd be a good fit for city life. I recommend checking out housing nearby the light rail stops as that would be a very convenient commute for you. Housing is very affordable in south Minneapolis so your dual income will be plenty to afford housing. It gets more expensive downtown so you might have to shop around a little.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:22 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,128,477 times
Ditto.

As a former Flight Attendant for Northwest (and my ex is still an F/A), locating somewhere along the Hiawatha light rail is a huge plus. You'll have easy access to both the airport and to downtown Minneapolis where the best nightlife in the Twin Cities is.

On the other hand, the best artist community seems to be revolving around Northeast (NE) Minneapolis these days, which, while close to downtown, still requires a vehicle to maneuver around. NE is the epicenter for galleries and artist communities and is the hub of the extremely popular "Art-A-Whirl" every year in May. NE is the area that is separated from the rest of Minneapolis by the Mississippi River (look at a map to see how that works).

In any case, welcome to Minneapolis/St.Paul. It's like having two hometowns in your backyard. With nearly 3.6 million people in the greater metro area, it's the 3rd largest city in the Midwest after Chicago and Detroit.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:39 PM

I got the job, and we're both so excited about the city, so it's just a matter of time and transferring at this point. Thanks for your feedback! I'll be lurking around this forum more often now that we're settled on Minneapolis.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:39 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,395,681 times
Congrats, where did you end up getting a place?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:57 PM

I have to wait a few months to put a transfer request in, so I haven't found a place yet. I'd really like to live close to the light rail because it runs to the airport and I'd love not to have to drive to work. I'll be in the city on Aug 25th for 3.5 weeks of training, so I figure I'll check things out and get a feel for the place while I'm there.

Speaking of which, any good weekend activity recommendations for this time of year? Good bars, restaurants, etc? I'll really only have free time Saturday and Sunday.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,772 times
hi whitney! My name is Ia Vue. Im glad that you have the passion for flight attendant as well. I love being a flight attendant, but im not one yet! heheh. Starting Next week Of May 5th, at Mesaba Airline they are recruiting flight attendants. Back in 2007, I almost got hired with Pinnacle airline. I came to Tennesse to do all the testing but however did not pass. If your in town, you should look up there website and go as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney_H View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm a 24 y/o college grad living with my boyfriend of 5 years in Memphis, TN, and I'm in the process of applying to be a flight attendant for Mesaba. I've been looking for somewhere (anywhere!) to move, because I've been in Memphis my whole life and I need a change. I know Mesaba has a base in Minneapolis, and I'm thinking if I get the job I could transfer there. The city really looks cool (no pun...) based on initial research.

We'll likely take only one car (his), so I'm really hoping there's some kind of light rail or other transport to the airport from the downtown area - I'd like to not have a car anyway : ) Also, I'm an artist and my boyfriend is a musician, so we're definitely looking for an artistic community. It would be great if things didn't shut down at 9pm every night as well! I hear the parks are beautiful there, which would make me very happy. I think I saw a photo with a waterfall. We don't have that here in Memphis...

I know the weather is going to be a complete 180 from what I'm used to, but my mom is a northerner and the cold runs in my blood - I can learn to handle it!

How's the rent in the downtown area? My salary would be around $20,000 to start I think, plus whatever my man brings in.

Any general feedback would be awesome. Thanks so much!!

Whitney

Old 04-29-2009, 07:28 PM

35 posts, read 120,570 times
This is an older post and it appears the original poster is still in Memphis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul