Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 AM

10 posts, read 12,162 times

Advertisements

Just looking for opinons. Do you like it? What was different/what did you like or didn't.

I keep hearing people are "standoffish" in Minn but I lived in New England and if you can survive there as an outside you can survive anywhere.

I also hear it is boring there but I can deal with boring if it means I can have a job, get off unemployment and have a productive life in a healthy state. I also want to volunteer again and give back.

My needs are pretty simple. A safe town, a place to walk my dog, a good school for my child, okay jobs, and a good library.

I'm not into bars or nightlife or party life. I don't drink or smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,351,943 times
Well, I would say that anyone that told you that is a snob and uninformed . Come in with a bad attitude and yes, people will be turned off by you. Boring, only if you let it be.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:32 AM

Thanks.

It's only the three of us and our dog. My extended family is basically dis-interested in what we have been going through here (unemployment/problems with our apartment/general depression) so I am "alone" in the world anyhow apart from my spouse and child.

I wonder why I should even stay in the Northeast anymore. I'm ready for a new move.

I actually have a friend who lives in the area who is willing to put out feelers for us. She is also in real estate and may be able to help us.

After this rotten, terrible year, I am so ready to get going again.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandPeppyPepper View Post
Thanks.

It's only the three of us and our dog. My extended family is basically dis-interested in what we have been going through here (unemployment/problems with our apartment/general depression) so I am "alone" in the world anyhow apart from my spouse and child.

I wonder why I should even stay in the Northeast anymore. I'm ready for a new move.

I actually have a friend who lives in the area who is willing to put out feelers for us. She is also in real estate and may be able to help us.

How old is your child? If your child is not yet in kindergarten, one of the first things you will want to do when you get here is sign up for Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE). Every school district has a program you you can find information on the various district websites where ever you end up living. It's a fantastic way to meet people!!

Old 08-06-2012, 07:40 AM

He's 14 and I want to find a good school because he has Asperger Syndrome. I have been home schooling him the last 2 years due to all the distruptions in our lives. I am just so ready to find home and settle down.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
He's 14 and I want to find a good school because he has Asperger Syndrome. I have been home schooling him the last 2 years due to all the distruptions in our lives. I am just so ready to find home and settle down.
I know people are VERY happy with the Special Ed programs in the 196 district. Our neighbors have an autistic son and they are thrilled to death with the schools, programs and support they get for him. If he is at all into sports or other activities, that is a great way to meet people as well.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:23 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,204,613 times
Seriously.....what is so "boring" about the Midwest and/or what is so "exciting" about the Northeast??? My guess is that people think the Midwest is boring because they're comparing Northeast cities like New York or Boston to Midwest cities like Des Moines or Fargo. If so, then "yes", the Midwest is boring. If not, cities like Minneapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Kansas City, St. Louis, Cincinnati, etc. etc. etc. shouldn't be "boring" to most Northeasterners unless their only idea of fun is waiting in huge lines at 4 in the morning to a celebrity-studded rave, or something!

Minneapolis should NOT be boring to you unless the above applies to you. I can't wait to see more of the Northeast and how exciting everybody makes it seem to be! I hope it blows my socks off!!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:26 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,204,613 times
Quote:
Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your situation.....I want to say I've been there myself.

What DO you look for in a place to live (urban or suburban or rural; fast-paced or slow-paced; walkable or not; how do you spend your free time usually)?

Old 08-07-2012, 08:09 AM

I like to be in suburbs, near shopping. I also like parks and somewhere to walk.

We're looking into Apple Valley now because it has a good special ed. dept. from what I hear.
I also want to be able to do volunteer work (ESL) and give back to people.

My biggest concern is not living in a hood or ghetto or having to drive their for doctor's appointments or to do shopping.

I'd love a nice self contained suburb where I can go to the library and do the above.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:08 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,106,481 times
Quote:
I like to be in suburbs, near shopping. I also like parks and somewhere to walk.

We're looking into Apple Valley now because it has a good special ed. dept. from what I hear.
I also want to be able to do volunteer work (ESL) and give back to people.

My biggest concern is not living in a hood or ghetto or having to drive their for doctor's appointments or to do shopping.

I'd love a nice self contained suburb where I can go to the library and do the above.
The Twin Cities doesn't have "ghettos", though there are some semi-rough areas. I used to think so, and then I visited Chicago and moved to Atlanta. Each of those cities has areas that the Twin Cities has no equivalent for at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul