Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 06:35 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,830,289 times

Advertisements

Hi. Any suggestions about "good" neighborhoods for renting in St Paul? Need affordable and safe for older single woman. For example, I've seen some listings for buildings that are being rehabbed with reasonable rent in downtown St Paul, but would like to have some input re: safety. Any thoughts? Other St paul neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 10:54 AM

10 posts, read 35,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Hi. Any suggestions about "good" neighborhoods for renting in St Paul? Need affordable and safe for older single woman. For example, I've seen some listings for buildings that are being rehabbed with reasonable rent in downtown St Paul, but would like to have some input re: safety. Any thoughts? Other St paul neighborhoods?
I used to live on Hartford just off Edgecumb (sp?); I wonder if that's still a nice area. I think that's near where MST3K was produced...

Old 04-24-2008, 03:37 PM

35 posts, read 144,377 times
You might try the West 7th neighborhood if you're looking for something inexpensive. There are a lot of homes that have been converted to duplexes that are extremely affordable. The area is not the most glamorous, and parts of it look a bit rough around the edges, but it's very safe and the St. Paul police departmen's website will bear that out. If you look in that area, try to stay north of West 7th Street. Also, the farther west of the Grand Ave./Smith Ave. area the better off you'll be.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 12,393 times
Default Edge of Highland Park

I currently rent at Chateau Montreal which is on West 7th and Montreal Ave., near Highland Park (which is really nice). It borders on what I'd consider some questionable areas, if you go down West 7th as it turns into 5 and then 494, it turns into an area I wouldn't feel comfortable living in.

For a one bedroom with a great new kitchen and about 715 square feet, we got a deal for $665/month. The only real reason I'm moving is I'm buying a house. The management is decent. Or maybe I'm just not that picky?

If you do look into it, I'd say get an apartment on the top floor, the ceilings/floors are very creaky. Wide array of ages and ethnicities, some families with kids. It's not great, it's not bad, it's pretty average, but again, our kitchen was re-done and it's really nice, so try to see one with a new kitchen.

I don't know what you mean by "older" but there is a decent portion of the people in Chateau Montreal that seem to be in their 50's and up.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:05 PM

434 posts, read 553,827 times
Is the area around the capitol where Rice Street and Como Avenue meet a good area? Or alont university avenue between the downtowns?

Old 02-29-2012, 05:34 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,381,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.drew View Post
Is the area around the capitol where Rice Street and Como Avenue meet a good area? Or alont university avenue between the downtowns?
Define "good area"?

Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 PM

434 posts, read 553,827 times
Like not getting mugged in the middle of the afternoon on a main street.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,403,713 times
Quote:
There is no place in the state of Minnesota that fits this description in my honest opinion. Sure there are places where crime is more common, but even in the most challenged areas in the city you don't have to worry about this taking place.

Now regarding University Ave, it's fairly rundown between Lexington and Western and around the capitol. West of Lexington it turns into the Hamline-Midway neighborhood, which isn't bad. That area kind of reminds me of my neighborhood in South Minneapolis. I think of Snelling and University to be their version of Cedar and Lake. Also, pretty soon there is going to be a light rail line going through there just like we have on Hiawatha. That should spur some additional development and improve the University corridor.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 02-29-2012 at 10:11 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,034,192 times
Quote:
I agree with Slig. I just don't see this being a problem anywhere in Minnesota. Last year I was in the Hawthorne neighborhood in North Minneapolis during the day. It's supposed to be among the poorest and most dangerous in the city. I parked my car and walked toward an event that I was supposed to be attending nearby. I remember wondering what the big fuss was about...I didn't feel unsafe at all. During the night, I might have been a bit more worried (if only because one should always be cautious anywhere at night), but I certainly wouldn't be afraid to walk the streets during the day.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:06 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,491,696 times
Overall, St Paul is a very safe city. Check out this map. The white spaces are where there's the most violent crime. But there's a lot of dark blue which are the safest areas. So a person's choices aren't very limited.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Here's a chart that is a little old, but the whole metro is rated very high in public safety.
http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/26/saf...msa_chart.html

Last edited by Yac; 03-20-2012 at 06:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul