Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:53 PM

329 posts, read 459,717 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Thanks to your feedback, we're focusing our search for a neighborhood in
St. Paul that's good for kids. We have a 2-year old, and would like a place with a good amount of playgrounds and kids in this age range (and other age ranges too of course!) Bonus if they have good elementary schools.

Highland Park and Mac-Groveland are currently on the list-we've visited and have liked them, and want to expand our list. I've also heard that Merriam Park is good for families.

I've done a search on this forum, and would love a quick run-down of any St. Paul neighborhood that would be good for kids (and a quick description of the neighborhood) Bonus if it's more walkable, has Mom-and-Pop coffee shops and restaurants, as well as good bakeries, which is super important to me personally! (reasonably-priced and not greasy!)

Thank you so much for your help as we narrow down our list!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 11:29 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,967 times
Check north of Como Park. You have all the fun of Como Park for the zoo, walking, picnicking. And it seems like a very nice neighborhood,too.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:53 PM

Thank you BeenHere4Ever, we'll check north of Como out.

I know I posted before when we were looking in a much bigger area, now we are narrowing it down to only St. Paul neighborhoods that are good for kids, so we appreciate the feedback, even just a quick description or listing so we can get a basic idea.

Right now, we're also looking at Highland Park, Mac-Groveland, Merriam Park and maybe Crocus Hill. Would like to know to how these neighborhoods compare to each other, please advise. I read in one of my searches that some parts of Merriam Park may be noisier in the summer b/c of college kids?

Thanks for any feedback, we appreciate it!

Last edited by Sunbrite; 02-29-2012 at 06:45 PM..

Old 03-03-2012, 07:33 AM

Any other ideas for good St. Paul neighborhoods for kids?

Thanks!

Old 03-03-2012, 12:11 PM

134 posts, read 338,715 times
The neighborhoods in St Paul are all pretty large areas- so it might be better for focus on some of the amenities and hit specific areas rather than generally talking about a neighborhood. As far as kids, it might vary from block to block, but generally these areas are very safe, so there is likely to be many families. It seems like you are looking for a walkable are, so I will list of few of the major hubs I would start with. They are all different and unique, with their own plusses and minuses.
1. Grand Avenue (proximity to Wuollet's Bakery, Creative Kidstuff and Red Balloon bookstore would be a bonus for you). I would start looking anywhere between Dale and Fairview for best walkability. Another great bakery is Bread & Chocolate at Victoria/Grand. This area is fairly "busy"/ bustling- but the benefit is that is really a nice neighborhood/urban mix, with nice shopping. Population is pretty mixed, with young people, families and older folks.
2. Highland Village- Variety of retail- with mix of chain stores (starbucks, Barnes & Noble, Panera) and local/unique (Patina, Chatterbox, Vina, Cecils). Bakery would be in Lunds or Panera. Most everything you need is within walking distance, including library, parks and schools. There is a great wading pool just over the Ford Parkway Bridge in Minneapolis- which is fantastic for a 2 yr old in the summer). The Village is pretty busy, (which is a benefit because businesses succeed here)- but once you get a block away, neighborhood are quiet and very family-friendly.
3. Marshall/ Cleveland- There are a couple of really nice small businesses in this area, including Sweets Bakery, Trotters and Izzy's Ice Cream. Good neighborhoods both north and south of Marshall.
4. St Anthony Park/ Como- I really love this eclectic area. The shopping area along Como is almost all small unique stores (Muffaletta, Finnish Bistro, Peapods) and there is a library and parks close by.
5. Selby/ Dale- A lot of great small shops have sprung up in this area in the last decade. There is Bars Bakery, Mississippi Market, Cheeky Monkey Deli, Piece of Cake Bakery and many more local shops. The housing area north of Selby can have some great housing stock, but is mixed between properties that are well-maintained and those that are not. The area south of Selby is more stable, but also more expensive.

Good luck with your search!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:46 PM

Thank you Libby01, this helps enormously. I'm getting hungry just reading about the bakeries you mention! Great breakdown of neighborhoods too, I really appreciate the insider view. Thank you!!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2012, 02:14 PM

79 posts, read 224,025 times
Libby, I'm reading this thread with great interest.

How would you compare Hamline/Midway with St. Anthony/Como? Also good?

Old 03-20-2012, 06:29 AM

134 posts, read 338,715 times
Sorry for delayed response Piglet!
Hamline/Midway area is very different from St. Anthony/Como. Yes, there is a lot shopping on University- which I personally frequent, but it's many larger stores and more of a stock-up shopping area where you might drive. However, there are some really great and unique places like Ax-Man surplus store...
The walkable area/neighborhoods that surround University Midway area are a bit challenged with poverty. There are some good blocks around Hamline University and various other pockets- but it really depends on your comfort level with a very diverse (income and cultural) popoulation. On the other hand, it can be an affordable area to many that can't afford other areas in the city.
The really interesting this about the University neighborhood is the large population of immigrants- which lends itself to some great restaurants. If you need an asian grocery store, this is your place. I will be curious to see how the light rail line affects this area. My guess is that it will continue to be a cultural melting pot- but if new housing is added along the line, it could become gentrified.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:29 PM

I live on the west side of the Mississippi, but over the years, I've spent much time in Highland. That neighborhood is full of amenities. Nice theater playing some of the best movies. Barnes and Noble with Starbucks. East of Snelling a huge park with lots of recreational potential. It is one of a handful of St Paul neighborhoods that seem like a slam dunk to me. You could do so much without leaving your community at all.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:30 PM

Haven't gone in a couple of years, but when I went to Circus Juventas, the acrobatic troup for children, it performed in Highland Park, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul