Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,161 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for an existing thread for all the various pieces of information a newcomer needs to know when considering relocating to this area, from people who already live and know this area.

I can't see it anywhere so either no-one has created one or my eyesight is failing me.
I apologize if my post is one of so may others saying the same thing, something I was hoping to avoid subjecting people to by my finding an already created "stuff you need to know about our city before moving here" type post.

I'm in the south (not for me) and am a soon to be a divorced early 50's man, with no kids, and looking for a small home to rent initially, preferably in a quiet area.
I am not easily pigeon-holed and am quite independent.
I am not interested in religion or politics but I have no time for left/liberal ideologies and people.
I have not lived this far north anywhere before and I am from Europe originally.

I will be looking for work after I arrive (although I have a small income at the moment from investments), but I am really looking to overhaul and change my life. You could say I'm starting over.
I am willing to do almost any work but my experience is in non-technical computer data work.

Things that are important to me (not in any order).

1. Good internet access (UVerse/Fios or very similar).
2. Good reliable uninsured healthcare programs/services as I have conditions that need medicine every day without being in employment.
3. Any knowledge of how good the mental health services are would be appreciated, as I have a need for this.
3. Quiet neighborhoods (not gated) and as green an environment as possible.- no studentville or low cost/section 8 housing, etc.
4. Although not immediate need, I would like to know what the singles scene is like. I am not seeking to create a family though. I do not drink or smoke and I won't go to bars or clubs.
5. Ideally, not far from a warehouse club.
6. Low crime.
7. I've not spent time outdoors for ages, but would like to rekindle that way of life for my spare time.
8. Not wanting to live in an area that is mainly families.

I'd like to also know about utility bills - what do these come to for an average family/house, or 1-2 bed apartment.

I've chosen Minneapolis on a number of factors, but I am open to considering other cities if someone can suggest or recommend others and why.

Any other advice that you can give, including my coming for a visit (advice on low cost place to stay as well as names of neighborhoods/suburbs/zip codes to look at for a home would be welcomed), would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by floggo; 10-02-2013 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 03:15 PM

340 posts, read 609,152 times
I am very curious as to why you are considering Minneapolis. It is a fairly leftist city and extremely cold in the winter. Maybe you should consider something farther south.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:33 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,240 times
Quote:
I am not interested in religion or politics but I have no time for left/liberal ideologies and people.
Quote:
2. Good reliable uninsured healthcare programs/services as I have conditions that need medicine every day without being in employment.
Umm.....???

I'm just going to leave it there.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:40 AM

145 posts, read 324,604 times
Well, a lot of the suburbs are pretty conservative, but you still can get liberal benefits living in them. MinnesotaCare does cover a lot of people that Medicaid doesn't, and of course Obamacare is coming up.

To put it bluntly, internet sucks big time here. most of us have no choice but slow Comcast cable (or even slower DSL or city wifi ).

Old 10-04-2013, 12:31 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdcastle View Post
Well, a lot of the suburbs are pretty conservative, but you still can get liberal benefits living in them. MinnesotaCare does cover a lot of people that Medicaid doesn't, and of course Obamacare is coming up.

To put it bluntly, internet sucks big time here. most of us have no choice but slow Comcast cable (or even slower DSL or city wifi ).
Well, we don't have Comcast, not an option, and our DSL was very fast....I guess it just depends...

Old 10-04-2013, 12:36 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post

Umm.....???

I'm just going to leave it there.
You said that so much more nicely than some would have!

OP - not to pick a fight, but I can't help wondering how you came to select the Twin Cities. It's the most liberal metro area in the Midwest, and one of the most liberal in the country. If your aversion to liberalism is that high on your list of criteria, you may not be happy in the Twin Cities. It's kind of like moving to Rome and not wanting to waste any time dealing with Romans. If you want the benefits that come from living in a liberal area, you're just going to have to accept that liberals come along with those benefits.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:29 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,466 times
Floggo,

Ill try to answer best as I can. As for the previous comments; yes minneapolis always votes liberal but I will say you don't notice it or "feel" it per se like you do in say seattle or Colorado or any college town. People seem to keep politics to themselves at least in my experience. Though there are some decisions that will obviously affect everyone (ie; the most recent- gay marriage).

The mental health field is wonderful as I have family that work in it. I'm not sure if you're asking about the quality of healthcare or options for insurance but quality is top in the nation. Most of the suburbs are very outdoorsy compared to most cities I've been too. If not just go a but out of the city and there you have it!

I'm not sure what area would suit you best as we don't live in minneapolis presently but hopefully that helps you some! Best of luck!!

Old 10-05-2013, 12:04 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,195 times
Try Coon Rapids on for size!

Old 10-10-2013, 11:47 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floggo View Post
I have not lived this far north anywhere before and I am from Europe originally.
Unless you lived in Spain, Italy or the Balkans you're much farther north in Europe than you are in Minneapolis. Heck, Minneapolis is over 400 miles further south than London.

But I get what you mean in terms of weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
OP - not to pick a fight, but I can't help wondering how you came to select the Twin Cities. It's the most liberal metro area in the Midwest, and one of the most liberal in the country. If your aversion to liberalism is that high on your list of criteria, you may not be happy in the Twin Cities. It's kind of like moving to Rome and not wanting to waste any time dealing with Romans.
Bingo!

Old 10-10-2013, 01:03 PM

480 posts, read 845,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floggo View Post
I'm looking for an existing thread for all the various pieces of information a newcomer needs to know when considering relocating to this area, from people who already live and know this area.
I've found a LOT of information on the various city websites in the Twin Cities area. For example, here are the information pages for Eden Prairie, St. Louis Park, and Hopkins.

City of Eden Prairie, Minnesota : Home

City of St. Louis Park, Minnesota

City of Hopkins, Minnesota

The individual city sites have tons of information about jobs, housing, neighborhoods, services, and the like.

And for what it's worth, I haven't found a reliable reference for utility costs in the Twin Cities either. Unfortunately, stating a political position (or opposition in this case) is like elevator flatulence: doesn't matter what else you say or ask, people are going to focus on the smell. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul