Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 AM

30 posts, read 38,501 times

Advertisements

This might be a little left field, but I wanted to mention the School of Environmental Studies in Apple Valley (on the MN Zoo grounds). I went to AVHS 9th & 10th grades, and then for 11th, applied and was accepted to the Zoo School and had a great time and many great experiences. I mention this because its a smaller school (200/house, 400 total) and is academics-based. There are no athletics or band. For those, you return to your 'home school' if you need them. Due to its small size, I would think it would be much easier fitting in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 04:52 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,377,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biloxisweetpea View Post
This might be a little left field, but I wanted to mention the School of Environmental Studies in Apple Valley (on the MN Zoo grounds). I went to AVHS 9th & 10th grades, and then for 11th, applied and was accepted to the Zoo School and had a great time and many great experiences. I mention this because its a smaller school (200/house, 400 total) and is academics-based. There are no athletics or band. For those, you return to your 'home school' if you need them. Due to its small size, I would think it would be much easier fitting in there.
The zoo school is a good fit for some kids however, probably not a good fit for this student given his interest in computer/computer science, etc.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 AM

Well, seeing that he's in high school, he may have an interest in computers, but it's not like he's majoring in computer science in high school. At the Zoo School there is PLENTY of opportunity to work with computers. And lots of preparation to go on to major in Computer Science in college. Seeing that 'fitting in' seemed to be the biggest concern, I was thinking a smaller school like the Zoo School (nope, you don't have to be a 'tree hugger') with the pod/house organization made it a lot easier to find a 'group' or a 'niche' to fit into (and less chance of bullying), rather than getting lost in the social crowd in a gigantic school that happens to have an AV club. Just IMHO.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 AM

school link: Welcome to the School of Environmental Studies
*The cover photo has students on laptops! Who knew!

Old 05-22-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biloxisweetpea View Post
school link: Welcome to the School of Environmental Studies
*The cover photo has students on laptops! Who knew!
But they don't have CLASSES for computer science, which is what this boy wants to have in high school as possibilities----every school kid uses a laptop these days.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 AM

106 posts, read 223,330 times
Well, we're back from our visit/tour/interview, and here's what we've figured out at this point:

1. We really like Hastings. Good combination of smaller town feel while still having access to the metro area. We really liked the high school. My shy son and I got a tour from three cute girls who were very friendly and helpful. His credits will transfer into this school better than into Rosemount's. I also really liked that I felt completely comfortable with the thought of my son driving around town by himself, so he would have the freedom to drive himself to school and a job.

2. We didn't have much time in Rosemount unfortunately, but from what we saw, it was just alright, I guess. In our opinion, not really worth the higher cost of housing that we're seeing. The school tour didn't give us the warm and fuzzy feeling we got from Hastings school. It was pretty clear my son felt more comfortable at Hastings as well. Transferring credits into Rosemount will be problematic because of how differently they run their grading periods, he would need to take more PE, which wouldn't be a problem except that doesn't leave enough time to take the computer classes he wanted to take. In Hastings he also needs to take more PE, but not as much more, and the computer classes are still available to him.

So I think we've concluded that we will find a place to rent in Hastings for at least two years. I'll take one for the team on the long drive into town if it means my son is more comfortable with the move. At that point we can decide where we want to buy a place.

Of course this is all depending on if there is a job offer or not!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:48 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,428,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblair0023 View Post
Well, we're back from our visit/tour/interview, and here's what we've figured out at this point:

1. We really like Hastings. Good combination of smaller town feel while still having access to the metro area. We really liked the high school. My shy son and I got a tour from three cute girls who were very friendly and helpful. His credits will transfer into this school better than into Rosemount's. I also really liked that I felt completely comfortable with the thought of my son driving around town by himself, so he would have the freedom to drive himself to school and a job.

2. We didn't have much time in Rosemount unfortunately, but from what we saw, it was just alright, I guess. In our opinion, not really worth the higher cost of housing that we're seeing. The school tour didn't give us the warm and fuzzy feeling we got from Hastings school. It was pretty clear my son felt more comfortable at Hastings as well. Transferring credits in will be problematic because of how differently they run their grading periods, he would need to take more PE, which wouldn't be a problem except that doesn't leave enough time to take the computer classes he wanted to take. In Hastings he also needs to take more PE, but not as much more, and the computer classes are still available to him.

So I think we've concluded that we will find a place to rent in Hastings for at least two years. I'll take one for the team on the long drive into town if it means my son is more comfortable with the move.

Of course this is all depending on if there is a job offer or not!

"Yes, really mom, its the COMPUTER CLASSES that make we want to go to Hastings. Definitely the computer classes...*under his breath*...oh they were so pretty..."

J/K, glad you are finding somewhere that looks good!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
"Yes, really mom, its the COMPUTER CLASSES that make we want to go to Hastings. Definitely the computer classes...*under his breath*...oh they were so pretty..."

J/K, glad you are finding somewhere that looks good!
LMAO!! Exactly, right?

Old 05-24-2013, 09:56 AM

Sounds like it was a good fit for him at Hastings. When we moved here Hastings was on our list as well. The drive into St. Paul really isn't bad from Hastings at all...and who knows, maybe you will get a job in Hastings or closer.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Sounds like it was a good fit for him at Hastings. When we moved here Hastings was on our list as well. The drive into St. Paul really isn't bad from Hastings at all...and who knows, maybe you will get a job in Hastings or closer.
I'm going to be trying sooo hard to find a job closer, you have NO idea!! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul