Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:38 AM

15 posts, read 36,917 times

Advertisements

I moved here a little over a year ago, with my husband and now nearly 4 year old son. We were in a time crunch, my husband was starting a new job in eastern Bloomington (The Nerdery) and we ended up renting a house in Eden Prairie. Eden Prairie is nice, but I feel isolated. I miss being able to walk to a store or cafe. A friend of mine recently moved to Hopkins and thinks it's great, with all the shops and restaurants and walking trails. So I got really excited about it. But I've seen people here say that they wouldn't want to live there. Why is that, exactly? As far as I can tell, there is no other suburb, within a reasonable commute to eastern Bloomington, that offers a downtown area like that. Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 12:11 PM

11 posts, read 30,688 times
I think Hopkins is great, and I would like to live there, but I would check out the schools before moving there. I think some of the elementary schools aren't so good.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:20 PM

116 posts, read 343,627 times
I don't think you're missing anything. I've lived in Hopkins, Eden Prairie, Burnsville, Maple Grove, Minnetonka, Prior Lake...The only one of those I would return to (if I ever had to move from MPLS) is Hopkins. It existed well before suburban sprawl surrounded and then swallowed it whole. It is an island built in a relatively traditional urban form with easy access (the 12) to Uptown, and points from there.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM

701 posts, read 1,709,199 times
I like Hopkins much better than the "subdivision-and-bigbox" suburbs. If I were considering a move there, I'd research the schools because I don't know anything about them at all.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
SLP kind of has a downtown area....

Is Hopkins HOW bad? It's not really bad at all.....very working class in many parts.....mostly safe.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyowl789 View Post
I think Hopkins is great, and I would like to live there, but I would check out the schools before moving there. I think some of the elementary schools aren't so good.
That's the first I've heard that! What's going on with the K-5's??

Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 PM

67 posts, read 115,948 times
I thought this area was nice as well. But one question I couldn't get an answer on was how many young families live in Hopkins. This is mainly why I have SW Minneapolis at the top of my list....even though I do like how Hopkins is more walkable (at least with the areas we are looking at).

Old 01-02-2013, 01:31 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiLesley View Post
I moved here a little over a year ago, with my husband and now nearly 4 year old son. We were in a time crunch, my husband was starting a new job in eastern Bloomington (The Nerdery) and we ended up renting a house in Eden Prairie. Eden Prairie is nice, but I feel isolated. I miss being able to walk to a store or cafe. A friend of mine recently moved to Hopkins and thinks it's great, with all the shops and restaurants and walking trails. So I got really excited about it. But I've seen people here say that they wouldn't want to live there. Why is that, exactly? As far as I can tell, there is no other suburb, within a reasonable commute to eastern Bloomington, that offers a downtown area like that. Am I missing something?
I like Hopkins. It's going to be even better once light rail comes through, although that, unfortunately, is a long way off (although the development benefits will come sooner, as businesses think long-run). I think perhaps it gets the bad reputation because there are a few areas that aren't so nice, but you're presumably not going to be moving into one of those isolated locations, anyway. But I'm guessing that much of it just comes down to taste; I'm sure there are plenty of those who would not want to live in Hopkins, just as there are plenty of people who would not want to live in Eden Prairie.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisroane View Post
I thought this area was nice as well. But one question I couldn't get an answer on was how many young families live in Hopkins. This is mainly why I have SW Minneapolis at the top of my list....even though I do like how Hopkins is more walkable (at least with the areas we are looking at).
I'm confident you can find it in here:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Hopkins-Minnesota.html

If not, I found it here:

http://www.hopkinsmn.com/about/demographics.php

Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiLesley View Post
I used to live just north of Glen Lake in Minnetonka, and we used to go to Hopkins all the time when I was growing up. We also knew a lot of people who lived there, going to Hopkins schools and all.

It was fine. Many of the houses in the north of Hopkins are smaller and were arranged in blocks, which was different from most if not all of Minnetonka, and there was a trailer park just off Old Shakopee Road that I vaguely remember, but the town had a main street and a nice Raspberry Festival once a year.

It may be that the area has gone downhill because of the age of the housing. I have no idea. I only hear bad things about it in this forum, but not from my friend/relatives still living up there. I've gotten the impression that some of the grade schools might have taken a hit in terms of test scores because of an influx of ESL students. Again, I'm not sure. The school district has a long and relatively glorious history, and at one time it was arguably one of the best in the state, but that doesn't mean there aren't issues cropping up here and there as demographics change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul