Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:01 AM

21 posts, read 51,508 times

Advertisements

I spent a few beautiful fall days up in the Cities this month, looking for areas to relocate to this summer. I was lucky enough to enjoy the spendid temps and glorious fall foliage. But I also discovered the continual snarl of traffic on 494 and 5 going out to the SW burbs.

A very friendly person (you seem to have plenty of them up there!) recommended that I look a bit further "inland," so to speak, in my search. She recommended St. Louis Park and Hopkins in particular. I didn't have enough time left in my visit to actually explore the area, but searched available housing on-line last night and found several houses in Hopkins that look like they would fit the bill.

What can you tell me about Hopkins? I would like to know about schools (we have an incoming 5th and 6th grader), sports (two club level soccer kids) neighborhoods, parks and/or walking trails (we love the outdoors and have a labrador retriever, so outdoor recreation possibilities are a must have), shopping, housing (we don't mind older houses with character, but want a decent lot size and real trees!), etc.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 11:09 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,106,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jnk View Post
What can you tell me about Hopkins? I would like to know about schools (we have an incoming 5th and 6th grader), sports (two club level soccer kids) neighborhoods, parks and/or walking trails (we love the outdoors and have a labrador retriever, so outdoor recreation possibilities are a must have), shopping, housing (we don't mind older houses with character, but want a decent lot size and real trees!), etc.

Thanks so much!
The Hopkins school district is here:

Hopkins School District #270

City of Hopkins:

City of Hopkins, Minnesota

It appears that Hopkins and Minnetonka combine forces to some extent in terms of recreational activities.

City of Hopkins, Minnesota: Recreation Department
City of Minnetonka: Recreation

You might want to check out some area of east Minnetonka as well. I grew up on Williston Road not far from MN Highway 7 just to the west of Hopkins and am a product of Hopkins Schools (Lindbergh class of 1981 ... Go Flyers!), so I think it's a very good area. My parents still live there.

I don't know if things have changed, but for shopping malls you have Ridgedale Center to the north, Eden Prairie Center to the south, and Knollwood to the east, as well as a fair number of stores in Hopkins itself.

Hopkins used to be a standalone town just outside the metro, and my mother remembers a street car line going to "West Minneapolis" back in the 50's that stopped in Hopkins.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 10-26-2010 at 11:30 AM..

Old 10-26-2010, 11:17 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,767,391 times
Hopkins is cute. Very much a small town feel to it with a main drag, and far more established than a newer suburban community would be.

I tend to be a city dweller, but I wouldnt write off living in Hopkins if I found a good deal on a place.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:31 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,756,432 times
Hopkins is nice. I agree with what's already been said. There's a mix of houses and lot sizes, but you should have no problems finding something with plenty of trees. There are lots of parks and walking trails in and around Hopkins; several regional trails go through there, among other things. I don't spend as much time as I'd like in Hopkins, but I've been on those trails before and it always seems like there's a good mix of people out with dogs, bikes, strollers, etc.

In the long-term there will also eventually be a light rail line going through there connecting Eden Prairie to downtown Minneapolis; that's obviously not relevant to you now, but it will be a real convenience once it finally happens! I think the related development and money that will go along with that will only be a good thing for the city, and will probably make it an even more desirable place to live.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:37 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,390,191 times
The Light Rail will help quite a bit. My wife and I both love Hopkins but our biggest complaint is the fact that it's isolated from the cities enough that public transportation options there aren't great. Since my wife doesn't drive we'd feel too stranded there. Otherwise it's easily my favorite suburb and we'd definitely consider moving over there in the future if we decide our current home is too small and living there made sense from a commuting perspective.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:41 AM

Thanks for all the input so far! I guess I should have been more specific with my "shopping" request. I was looking not so much for malls and/or strip malls (hate the things!), but good grocery stores, neighborhood hardware stores, downtown-type stores, even good non-chain places to eat a casual meal with the family. In general, would we be able to shop local-ish?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,390,191 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the input so far! I guess I should have been more specific with my "shopping" request. I was looking not so much for malls and/or strip malls (hate the things!), but good grocery stores, neighborhood hardware stores, downtown-type stores, even good non-chain places to eat a casual meal with the family. In general, would we be able to shop local-ish?
The little downtown area of Hopkins is full of little independant shops and restaurants. There is a little neighborhood supermarket and a little movie theater. It's very nice and walkable. I think Hopkins sounds like a really good fit for you.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:46 AM

Forgot to add...DH job will be at 394 and Hopkins Crossroad. Seems like the commute to Hopkins would be far less painful than some of the SW 'burbs (Chanhassen, Chaska, Victoria, Excelsior) that I was considering? But that is just judging from the map, which isn't always a good indicator.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,351,943 times
Quote:
Forgot to add...DH job will be at 394 and Hopkins Crossroad. Seems like the commute to Hopkins would be far less painful than some of the SW 'burbs (Chanhassen, Chaska, Victoria, Excelsior) that I was considering? But that is just judging from the map, which isn't always a good indicator.
I was just going to ask this. Hopkins will be a good option for you then. The schools are very well respected. Plymouth, Minnetonka and Wayzata would be other close options. The new 212 bypass makes getting from Chaska/Chanhassen easier but once you get on 494 you are taking your chances

Old 10-26-2010, 12:19 PM

812 posts, read 2,174,769 times
Love, love, love the schools. The downtown are seems to be relatively active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul