Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:18 AM

10 posts, read 25,083 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are out and about looking at houses in different spots in the metro, and our realtor brought us to a fixer-upper in North Oaks. Anybody have any insight on living in North Oaks with a young family? Wikipedia tells me that the avg age is 53 years old, which is considerably higher than the other cities I have looked at. Just wondering if there aren't many young families living in that city anymore and if it is worth looking into more. We like all of the trees, hills, nature within the city, but not sure if there will be much in the way of young families or if this is becoming an ageing community.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 09:24 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
I would say it's not the best place for a young family. You probably won't have many young kids in the area. It's more of a "retiree" type place.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 PM

10 posts, read 25,083 times
Good to know, thanks.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:11 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,225,470 times
I guess the area grew up with me, but I found a lot of families and it was a nice place for families. But within the school district you will find a lot of nice families that are only 5 minutes away. Neighbors aren't that close to begin with in North Oaks because many of the lot are so isolated you don't just run into people outside a lot. The nearby parks are full of young families. I wouldn't be afraid of it at all. A fixer upper sounds like a good idea if you can afford it. You will certainly get your money out of it and live in a beautiful safe place.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:55 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,280,636 times
North Oaks used to be a gated community decades ago. North Oaks does have an over population of deer. You might have problems with gardens, landscaping, and trees damaged by the deers.

Dave

Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,758,141 times
I'm not very familiar with North Oaks so no useful info there, but FWIW -- while it's wonderful to have other young kids on your block for your child to play with (and other parents to talk to during the day, if you are a stay-at-home parent), you may not find it to be a make-or-break issue when it comes to buying the house. Our block has TONS of kids, but I've noticed that once they start to hit elementary age I don't see them nearly as often; they become busier with school, with sports, with camps and other activities during the summer, have more friends who live outside of the immediate neighborhood, and just generally aren't as limited by their neighborhood geography. And someone made a good point about with the lots being so large and so private it's not as likely that they're just going to look out the window, see the neighbor kids outside playing, and pop out the front door, anyway. North Oaks is near other areas that do have lots of kids, so if you're looking for other young families you probably won't have to go too far.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:48 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,225,470 times
It still has a gate house and if you are driving around in there you will be stopped and asked who you are going to see. I had many doings there with foreign exchange students and was stopped a couple times even though my car was just a few years old and I wasn't speeding. They have a tight watch on things there.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:04 PM

413 posts, read 765,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
It still has a gate house and if you are driving around in there you will be stopped and asked who you are going to see. I had many doings there with foreign exchange students and was stopped a couple times even though my car was just a few years old and I wasn't speeding. They have a tight watch on things there.
Correct. While it's not completely gated, like say, Bearpath, North Oaks, while a city, is considered a private community, meaning that all the roads are private roads, and if you're driving through there w/o permission, you're trespassing.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,905,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
but I've noticed that once they start to hit elementary age I don't see them nearly as often; they become busier with school, with sports, with camps and other activities during the summer, have more friends who live outside of the immediate neighborhood, and just generally aren't as limited by their neighborhood geography
I believe that is when they discover video games and the internet, wont see them out playing after that.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:14 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I believe that is when they discover video games and the internet, wont see them out playing after that.
There are kids playing outside all the time in our neighborhood. When our kids were younger, they never lacked for kids to play with in the neighborhood. They were always playing kickball, various tag games, riding bikes, playing basketball, etc. Some kids down the street have "full-court" basketball set up in their driveways-across the street from each other. It's fun to watch them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul