Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:07 PM

6 posts, read 7,472 times

Advertisements

I am a graduate student moving my husband and toddler to Minneapolis from rural NH for an internship. My internship is in the phillips neighborhood, and we are hoping to live somewhere without much of a commute. However, I am really worried about safety. We want to rent, not buy. The Wellstone apts (611 E. Franklin) look pretty nice, but I am not sure the neighborhood is a safe one. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 01:47 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,343,710 times
That part of Franklin doesn't have a very good reputation. I think its improved a lot in the past 10 years with new housing being built at Portland and Franklin. It used to be well known as a major drug dealer area and prostitution area. People who know more about the area can give a better update on its current character.

I'd look east of Hiawatha in the Seward neighborhood, or further west of I-35W in the Whittier, Wedge and Uptown areas. These are still close to Phillips. I think there are also some apartments available within the Midtown Global marketplace (or maybe condo units for lease), which is on the south edge of Phillips. This area is an area in transition--it has a lot of positives (the marketplace being a major amenity, plus having a central location on the Midtown greenway, making for excellent biking), but still has some crime issues here and there, which might not make it the best for a young family.

I'd also consider areas around 36th & Aldrich, 45th & Bryant, 49th & Chicago. These are areas with older apartments that seem to be well kept and are in nice neighborhoods, near amenities (like Minnehaha Creek for the Chicago address and the lakes for the others).

There are also some apartments in downtown that might be of interest--either near Loring park or towards the river.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:06 PM

411 posts, read 992,872 times
I lived on that block for two years in the mid-nineties. Then it was definately not a spot I'd want my family to live. Lots of gun shots, hookers and drugs. It's gotten better (the demolition of the biggest drug house in Mpls at Porland/19th helped a lot) since then but still not sure if I'd recommend it for a family. It's a bit dirty and there's still a lot of shady characters lurking.

Go east a few blocks and check out Stevens. Lots of nice brownstones ideal for a young family just moving into town.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:21 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
I wouldn't live there with a young family, especially since there decent options so close.

Check out Fair Oaks Apartments on Third Avenue, directly across the street from the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. I always thought that would be a great place to live with a child. Nice apartments, interesting neighborhood, still very close to your work, but much safer. There's a park right there, too, and the MIA would be great for winter days when you want to get out but don't want to go far. If you go a bit farther afield (in some of the neighborhoods listed) you'll get even safer and family-friendly. Much will depend on just how far you want to be (walking distance? Will you be using the bus? Driving?) and budget, as well as preferences for what you want in a neighborhood.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
If you are from Rural NH, moving to the MIA neighborhood is NOT going to make you happy. That really is NOT a nice area, especially if you want to be out and about with your child alone, sorry.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:21 AM

Golfgal, didn't you say that the only time you come into the city is to go to the bus station? When was the last time you walked around Whittier with your family? Have you spent any time there in recent years? As noted, it all depends on what kind of neighborhood they want, and how close they want to be to work. I know families with small children who live in Whittier, and I've spent a great deal of time there with my son. They also have a great elementary school. Whittier may well not be the right choice, but depending on their needs and interests it could also be a great option.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:44 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times
I agree with Golfgal from the standpoint that it may be a difficult transition going from rural living to living in Whittier. I personally really like the area around the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. It is also just a couple blocks away from Eat Street (Nicollet Ave), which is one of my favorite parts of the city. However, be aware that this part of the city is very urban in nature. If you're looking for something a little more quiet and laid back I would look elsewhere. If you're set on staying real close to your internship and want to be in the city you might want to check out living options in SW, Longfellow or Nokomis. Otherwise if you decide the city isn't for you there are plenty of suburbs within a manageable driving distance from your internship.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:29 AM

I agree with that. Whittier would indeed be a big change from rural New Hampshire; it definitely feels like a city (I was reacting more to the implications that it was unsafe for a family and should be avoided). So... to be more helpful, we can give out some better recommendations if you (the OP) can tell us what you like in a neighborhood, and what is on your wish list versus want list. If you want a rural feel you'll have to go a LONG way out, but you can get quiet, residential neighborhoods in many parts of south/southwest Minneapolis or adjacent suburbs. Or if you want a different type of more urban neighborhood there are plenty of those around, too.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That really is NOT a nice area, especially if you want to be out and about with your child alone, sorry.
Wrong. It's a beautiful safe neighborhood.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Golfgal, didn't you say that the only time you come into the city is to go to the bus station.
I love that. People who have never really spent any time in the city talking about how nice or safe an area is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul