Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 07:08 AM

327 posts, read 527,189 times

Advertisements

Currently living in a northwestern 'burb.

Looking at a house near Hyland Park, off Normand Blvd and south of 494.

The park is great as one of our top criteria is a house close enough to go for hour-long walks in a nature setting.

But I confess to a slightly negative impression of Bloomington. My impressions are that it's crowded (high pop. density) and traffic's a mess. It seems like a city with a higher ratio of commercial to residential areas than other 'burbs.

What's your opinion, and especially your experiences, with Bloomington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 12:06 PM

191 posts, read 380,874 times
That's a quite nice area and great park. I wouldn't hesitate to buy around there.

Of course, Bloomington just has the typical suburban architectural crud (e.g. along 494). As far as I know there's no cool factor like Grand Ave or Hennepin Ave, though they do have the mall and the light rail. Though if you need that, just hop on hwy 100.

Also Bloomington is pretty big. West Bloomington and East Bloomington are different animals.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:14 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
Currently living in a northwestern 'burb.

Looking at a house near Hyland Park, off Normand Blvd and south of 494.

The park is great as one of our top criteria is a house close enough to go for hour-long walks in a nature setting.

But I confess to a slightly negative impression of Bloomington. My impressions are that it's crowded (high pop. density) and traffic's a mess. It seems like a city with a higher ratio of commercial to residential areas than other 'burbs.

What's your opinion, and especially your experiences, with Bloomington?
I agree with your assessments. There are a lot of better options, especially if you have kids in school. Where will you be working?

Old 09-20-2012, 03:23 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,999,553 times
I grew up in West Bloomington. I never thought that traffic was bad except for the 494 during rush hour and parts of 35W. I've been living in Southern California for awhile so I think traffic in the Twin Cities is great compared to what I've been dealing with. Bloomington along the 494 can feel more like a city than a suburb, but West Bloomington in general feels like a suburb. East Bloomington has more of a city vibe since it shares the same street grid as Richfield and South Minneapolis.

Hyland Park is great for hiking. I spent many hours trying to catch toads and salamanders there when I was younger. There's also a nice playground unofficially called "Chutes and Ladders" that is great for kids.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:26 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,999,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I agree with your assessments. There are a lot of better options, especially if you have kids in school. Where will you be working?
I thought Jefferson was still considered a good school.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
I thought Jefferson was still considered a good school.
It's in the OK category now.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 PM

Of course, everyone has a different situation and different values. To flesh out ours a bit more, kids and work commute aren't significant considerations in this decision.

The house we were considering is within walking distance of the park, but unfortunately nearest the golf course. We've crossed it off our list. Don't mind really, as I was pushing myself to like it cuz the kind of house we're looking for isn't coming up much. My top choice location is within walking dx to a park in Mtka.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
Of course, everyone has a different situation and different values. To flesh out ours a bit more, kids and work commute aren't significant considerations in this decision.

The house we were considering is within walking distance of the park, but unfortunately nearest the golf course. We've crossed it off our list. Don't mind really, as I was pushing myself to like it cuz the kind of house we're looking for isn't coming up much. My top choice location is within walking dx to a park in Mtka.
Have you looked at houses around Lebanon Park in Eagan? That is a great park with a nice swimming beach in the summer, miles and miles of trails that are groomed in the winter for cross country skiing and snowshoeing. They clear part of the lake for ice skating too. You are also pretty close to the Minnesota Zoo and walking around the outside of the zoo can be a fun walk too.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:09 PM

We haven't--a family member with clout ;-) wants to be closer than that would be to some leisure activity locations. It does look like a very cool park on the map.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:26 PM

110 posts, read 261,879 times
West Bloomington is a really nice area. It's older--so its comparable to Minnetonka and Golden Valley as far as housing stock goes. Most people either LOVE West bloomington for their houses -- or hate West Bloomington for the houses. Traffic is extremely minimal except 494 and the commercial areas near there. Otherwise traffic is great.

With all that said, people move to West Bloomington for location. IF you are working in Edina, Eden Prairie, or south it's a great location. Bloomington, the city is greatly managed and rivals only Edina with low property tax. A lot of blah ideas about Bloomington come from the East side near MOA. Its the area most well known and does not give a good representation of the city as a whole. West Bloomington will feel a lot less dense and more open.

As far as schools -- don't listen to Golfgal - the school is in the same category as Eden Prairie with only half the students. The students have a lot of opportunities because they have a close relationship with Normandale community college--who has a close relationship with u of mn, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul