Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:57 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Then why do you keep bringing it (Minneapolis) up??
I would respectfully submit that if you reread the entire thread as I have just done, you will find that the first use of the word "Minneapolis" was in your post.

I wonder if anyone has any theories why these things always seem to end up as a city vs. suburb thing? Clearly the city folks here prefer the city, and the suburban folks the suburbs, so what exactly is the debate about, and why is it so contentious?

Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I would respectfully submit that if you reread the entire thread as I have just done, you will find that the first use of the word "Minneapolis" was in your post.

I wonder if anyone has any theories why these things always seem to end up as a city vs. suburb thing? Clearly the city folks here prefer the city, and the suburban folks the suburbs, so what exactly is the debate about, and why is it so contentious?
In reference to where they may be commuting too . Exactly my point, why does U U keep bringing up the city vs suburb thing??

Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
What?!? Did you even read this thread?! No one can reasonably suggest that I have made this into any kind of city versus suburb issue! The OP doesn't want to live in the city! The OP said nothing about the city, but instead asked for input on several specific suburbs (not Rosemount, which didn't stop someone from bringing it into the thread). Minneapolis would clearly be a bad fit for this family and they realize that, they don't want information on Minneapolis, and Minneapolis neighborhoods (or Rosemount neighborhoods, for that matter) are COMPLETELY irrelevant!

I figure the OP has given up on getting any other useful information. I would have by now. I should be big enough to ignore this baiting, but, alas, am not (it's just so.. bizarre and unfair). However anyone need only actually read the thread to see the obvious: that this accusation is unfounded.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 07-25-2012 at 10:31 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 10:50 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
However, the wife wouldn't be caught dead walking to anywhere other than the car.
This is one of the sadder things I've read on this message board in recent times.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:20 AM

391 posts, read 660,021 times
Quote:
Just like there are places in Minneapolis that are not convenient to the grocery store...which is the point.
This does not appear to be in reference to commuting.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:18 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield
Quote:
In reference to where they may be commuting too .
Quote:

Just like there are places in Minneapolis that are not convenient to the grocery store...which is the point.

OP must work at a grocery store.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:18 PM

CtrlEsc--just ignore the city dwellers--they hate the suburbs, haven't BEEN to the suburbs in question and give erroneous information about the suburbs all the time. Again, Lakeville is a lovely area with a lot to offer. Prior Lake, in the Prior Lake schools is as well. You really can't go wrong with either area for schools, amenities, etc. Everything you need on a day to day basis is right there or close by.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:28 PM

191 posts, read 380,531 times
Quote:
Sooo, what? Lakeville has a lovely downtown area with many housing that is very walkable to the cute shops there. There are also a few newer shopping areas, again, with neighborhoods close and easily walkable via wide bike/walking paths. Same thing for most of the schools in Lakeville if you live in neighborhoods close to the schools there.
Golfgal makes a good point. Lakeville is big and the area I lived in (which wasn't close to anything) and didn't care for is not the same as other areas!

Quote:
The map Pisces69 posted is great, if you live in Belleview, WA. Not relavant to this thread either....There are 1000's of houses within a mile of shopping areas in Lakeville, all easily accessed via walking paths/bike paths.
Right. I was only posting to answer someone's question about the general tradeoffs between the street grid vs. winding streets. And walkscore.com doesn't take into account walking paths. And in say some Minneapolis neighborhoods, sure you could cover a lot of distance on the street grid, yet still be in residential areas without businesses or things to do.

I actually like Rosemount because it is a nice small town. Lakeville tries to be a small town but it's not the same.

I don't have anything against the suburbs or the people that live there. I just think we tend not to think about how our kids will get around until they turn 16 and can drive, or how we will get around when we can no longer drive. I feel like housing developments separated strictly by income (you've seen the "Homes from $100,000", "Homes from $200,000" type signs) and shipping off the elderly into nursing homes, our young people trapped in homes without access to transportation or the ability to do things on their own, is sequestering people into narrow sliver of society, causing us to develop intolerance of those outside our ilk.

Last edited by Pisces69; 07-26-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 12:43 PM

Pisces69--easy, kids ride their bikes or walk places. It isn't difficult at all. Now, when they have a trumpet case, a golf bag, backpack and duffle bag with a change of clothing for sports practice, they get a ride .

Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Glenfield's law: As a CDF Minnesota discussion grows longer, the probability of it deteriorating into a city vs. suburbs argument approaches one.
I'm having difficulty keeping up with all of these, could you post a list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul