Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:04 PM

283 posts, read 370,030 times

Advertisements

I was in your fair city this weekend and was absolutely BLOWN AWAY. This has to be the cleanest, friendliest, most attractive city in the US. The upbeat quality, the smiles, the intelligence and articulateness of the people I spoke to, the tidiness of the small surrounding towns were all incredibly impressive. Unfortunately my job interview did not land me anything. You guys are extremely fortunate to be living in such a fine area. Keep up the good work, and keep up the biking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 07:30 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Thank you. This was all very nice of you to say, and is much appreciated.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:59 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Yeah...thanks! May I ask where you come from?

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job you wanted -- I've been there before, MANY times! Hopefully you can gather yourself and reload and find something here that you love! Good luck!!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 PM

18 posts, read 45,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwocmo View Post
I was in your fair city this weekend and was absolutely BLOWN AWAY. This has to be the cleanest, friendliest, most attractive city in the US. The upbeat quality, the smiles, the intelligence and articulateness of the people I spoke to, the tidiness of the small surrounding towns were all incredibly impressive. Unfortunately my job interview did not land me anything. You guys are extremely fortunate to be living in such a fine area. Keep up the good work, and keep up the biking.
QFT

I've been to most of the large cities in this country and I've never experienced such a suburb oriented community. I'm thrilled to be leaving minneapolis for a real city (chicago).

Old 05-14-2012, 09:37 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyjerky View Post
QFT

I've been to most of the large cities in this country and I've never experienced such a suburb oriented community. I'm thrilled to be leaving minneapolis for a real city (chicago).
be sure to stop by the front desk for your parting gift on your way out.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyjerky View Post
QFT

What exactly do you know about Chicago, because the Chicagoans I know (who've lived there for generations) do NOT live in the city and are suburban dwellers. It's the quentessential city for "White Flight", even though it applies to anyone/everyone who's lived there long enough to get tired of city living and politics. Anyone who denies this likely does NOT have strong family roots in Chicago, because the # of people who grew up in the city and STILL live there is unbelievably low compared to most other cities. But why ruin your fun -- just enjoy how you feel now, right? Why add the negavity to such a positive thread? It won't make you feel better, I promise.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:21 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I've run into all kinds of people, over the years, who have been to MPS, and have praised it to the skies, but when I offer them a free round trip ticket to go there in January, no one has taken me up on that offer yet!

I fell in love with Pittsburgh on a visit there in May one time and almost moved there, until I learned it's in a cloud belt, slightly fewer cloudier days than Seattle. No-no-no-thanks!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:34 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,766 times
You clearly weren't visiting in the winter.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:08 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
What exactly do you know about Chicago, because the Chicagoans I know (who've lived there for generations) do NOT live in the city and are suburban dwellers. It's the quentessential city for "White Flight", even though it applies to anyone/everyone who's lived there long enough to get tired of city living and politics. Anyone who denies this likely does NOT have strong family roots in Chicago, because the # of people who grew up in the city and STILL live there is unbelievably low compared to most other cities. But why ruin your fun -- just enjoy how you feel now, right? Why add the negavity to such a positive thread? It won't make you feel better, I promise.
The Chicago suburbs are so vast that they span North all the way into Wisconsin & don't stop until you hit Milwaukee. Ever drive Milwaukee to Chicago at rush hour?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
The Chicago suburbs are so vast that they span North all the way into Wisconsin & don't stop until you hit Milwaukee. Ever drive Milwaukee to Chicago at rush hour?
No kidding....not to mention South WELL past Gary, IN and into Merrillville, IN and beyond, and West past the Fox River to Geneva, Aurora, Elgin, St. Charles, Batavia, etc....Southwest to Joliet and Northwest PAST Elgin to Crystal Lake and even Rockford is essentially a commuter town to Chicago. Chicago -- REAL Chicago -- IS the suburbs, just as much as it is the city. I've always said that you don't ever really truly understand how big and complex Chicago is until you visit the suburbs. It's very polarized though: between city and suburb. After the cutesy city areas like River North, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, etc. is a VAST stretch of ghettos and middle-class communities most people never step foot in (this is where lots of my family lives/grew up). It's about 20-25 miles beyond that where you start to see true suburbia, as most people know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul