Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:00 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,205,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBearPig1 View Post
Wasn't aware I offered my thoughts or opinions about what I think about Chicago. And I have family in the Chicago suburbs, so I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about. Perhaps you should be careful about putting words in people's mouths.

And I agree that there is A LOT more to cities than the typical touristy areas, especially in cities as large as Chicago. That's my whole point. Any major city is going to be incredibly diverse with a panoply of different areas and experiences to be had. There is no "real Chicago." People can get whatever it is they're looking for -- a touristy trip, exciting urban living, or settling down to a quiet suburb. Though I may care for some or dislike others, all are just as "real" as the others.
I never put words in your mouth any more than you've put words in mine, but clearly we have different families.

There IS a "real Chicago", and I've been too nice so far in trying to get you to understand my point of view. I could care less if you don't understand what I'm talking about, but it's the truth to a large degree and it's really not any kind of secret (which makes this all the more sadder). There's nothing "real" about the deuschebags who line the streets in Wrigleyville nowadays and take over the area and act like they own the area, or are "living like a Chicagoan". It's the cliche "I grew up in the suburbs but now live in a big, bad city and I'm going to try my best to act like I've lived here my whole life" attitude, and it's just sad. Meanwhile, blue-collar types and others who've lived there their whole lives HATE the city, HATE eachother, live in bubbles, and don't want any part of the city that you hear about or see on TV because it's:

a.) for the rich
b.) super ghetto
c.) too expensive
d.) not where their jobs are
e.) etc, etc, etc

It's too bad this dichotomy exists in Chicago but it totally does and it separates the locals from the "newly local", and it's almost 100% obvious to the former. The city everybody loves and talks about on C-D or elsewhere is not the same city MOST of the residents live in, and that's what I'm trying to talk about. Don't get me wrong....I LOVE Chicago, but it's a "love-hate" relationship and it's definitely not for everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Cause us Minnesotans are obsessed with Chicago!
No, not really. But a lot of us are from there or have lots of relationships with people there.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:15 PM

319 posts, read 529,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I never put words in your mouth any more than you've put words in mine, but clearly we have different families.

There IS a "real Chicago", and I've been too nice so far in trying to get you to understand my point of view. I could care less if you don't understand what I'm talking about, but it's the truth to a large degree and it's really not any kind of secret (which makes this all the more sadder). There's nothing "real" about the deuschebags who line the streets in Wrigleyville nowadays and take over the area and act like they own the area, or are "living like a Chicagoan". It's the cliche "I grew up in the suburbs but now live in a big, bad city and I'm going to try my best to act like I've lived here my whole life" attitude, and it's just sad. Meanwhile, blue-collar types and others who've lived there their whole lives HATE the city, HATE eachother, live in bubbles, and don't want any part of the city that you hear about or see on TV because it's:

a.) for the rich
b.) super ghetto
c.) too expensive
d.) not where their jobs are
e.) etc, etc, etc

It's too bad this dichotomy exists in Chicago but it totally does and it separates the locals from the "newly local", and it's almost 100% obvious to the former. The city everybody loves and talks about on C-D or elsewhere is not the same city MOST of the residents live in, and that's what I'm trying to talk about. Don't get me wrong....I LOVE Chicago, but it's a "love-hate" relationship and it's definitely not for everybody.
FYI, I never offered any specific thoughts good or bad about Chicago (other than it's a large, diverse area). The Sears Tower is actually one of my least favorite supertalls and I think it's incredibly overrated. But apparently, you say, "people like me think Chicago begins and ends with the Sears Tower." That's called putting words in someone's mouth.

And I understand perfectly well. Blue-collar-types such as those that abandoned the inner city areas for the suburbs years ago have "real" experiences and the "true" perspective, whereas everyone else in the city is a douchebag living a wanna-be lifestyle. I'll refer you back to where I said that's pretty arrogant. Reminds me of the people who wax nostalgic about the former "real Uptown" in Minneapolis.

You don't like the vibe of certain areas? Don't hang out there. Doesn't make the experiences there any less "real."

Old 05-20-2012, 01:34 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,391,152 times
I've heard the TC is way more progressive than Chicago. I also heard it's less "racist" and more balkanized ethnically.

I'm a life-long St. Paulite, and my best friend got work in Denver and said it's nicer with the mountains and year-'round golfing and such. But I gotta tell ya, I'm a Minnesotan through and through.

My entire mother's family are Illinoisans and I've been there many times, but it's been quite a number of years since I've been to the Chi'.

Peoria, the "Twin Cities," Bloomington/Normal, and Springfield.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBearPig1 View Post
FYI, I never offered any specific thoughts good or bad about Chicago (other than it's a large, diverse area). The Sears Tower is actually one of my least favorite supertalls and I think it's incredibly overrated. But apparently, you say, "people like me think Chicago begins and ends with the Sears Tower." That's called putting words in someone's mouth.

And I understand perfectly well. Blue-collar-types such as those that abandoned the inner city areas for the suburbs years ago have "real" experiences and the "true" perspective, whereas everyone else in the city is a douchebag living a wanna-be lifestyle. I'll refer you back to where I said that's pretty arrogant. Reminds me of the people who wax nostalgic about the former "real Uptown" in Minneapolis.

You don't like the vibe of certain areas? Don't hang out there. Doesn't make the experiences there any less "real."
Sure it does. But by "real" I'm implying down to Earth, not physically real.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:40 AM

70 posts, read 120,422 times
I say to the o.p. thanks again for the positive love shown to our area. Maybe we need a new thread discussing the merits of Chicago vs. the Twin Cities. Let's put differences aside and work to make wherever we live a better place and not argue so much.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:25 PM

226 posts, read 577,794 times
I do like Minneapolis, too! It is a great city. Not sure of the winters there, though... If you happen to visit the city again, and want to get some good pictures, you may want to look at the pointers on my homepage (under my name). I love that skyline.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:30 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwocmo View Post
I was in your fair city this weekend and was absolutely BLOWN AWAY. This has to be the cleanest, friendliest, most attractive city in the US. The upbeat quality, the smiles, the intelligence and articulateness of the people I spoke to, the tidiness of the small surrounding towns were all incredibly impressive. Unfortunately my job interview did not land me anything. You guys are extremely fortunate to be living in such a fine area. Keep up the good work, and keep up the biking.
Sounds like you're going to do just fine in the Twin Cities.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,391,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSandsYucca View Post
I do like Minneapolis, too! It is a great city. Not sure of the winters there, though... If you happen to visit the city again, and want to get some good pictures, you may want to look at the pointers on my homepage (under my name). I love that skyline.
You talking about the architecture? There was a rock star that came through here some time back who had majored in architecture and he said in the interview that Minneapolis Downtown has some of the most beautiful architecture he had ever seen.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:02 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
You talking about the architecture? There was a rock star that came through here some time back who had majored in architecture and he said in the interview that Minneapolis Downtown has some of the most beautiful architecture he had ever seen.
The spoon and cherry sculpture leaves alot to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul