Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2011, 06:31 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBearPig1 View Post
Then you pay to build the roads to the middle of nowhere, don't make the rest of subsidize your lifestyle.
oh, you'll pay in order to get veggies to the market, I'm quite sure of that.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:56 PM

550 posts, read 1,637,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

I don't want to live in the city, I like having my car and being able to go where I want, when I want and not having to worry about catching a bus. I like that my kids can hop in the car and drive to their friends' house, haul all their band stuff to and from school, etc. Most of what our kids participate in they would never be able to living in the city and especially never if they had to depend on a bus to get them around. I like having a yard and not having to listen to my neighbor's tv because their house is 5" away from my house. Thanks anyway. You city dwellers are the ones complaining....
A lot of what my kids participate in they'd have a hard time doing in the suburbs, for example my 16yo daughter is a spoken word poetry artist and she goes to open mike events and poetry slams at the various colleges & universities, as well as coffee houses, throughout both Mpls & St. Paul. Her "car" is the MTC. I like not having to drive her to all these events... she also takes the bus to her internship job @the Walker and to a St. Paul Rec Center where she has another internship/job. Last night I was going to run get her from her dad's and she told me not to bother, she'd take the bus because she had a stop to make which was on the bus route and so she said it would just be easier for her to take the bus, which she did. And I spent the time I would have spent running her around conversing w/my two younger kids. Works for me!

Old 12-23-2011, 07:33 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Just so we know all the different types of Rail....

Electric Light Rail
Top Speed : 60-70mph
Stops : Every , 1500ft to 2 Miles
Average line length : 20 miles

Hudson Bergen Light Rail in Paulus Hook - Jersey City - YouTube

Diesel Light Rail
Top Speed : 60-80mph
Stops : Every half Mile to Mile
Average line Length : 40 miles

NJT Riverline in Downtown Camden,NJ - YouTube

Southbound Riverline Train passing Through Burlington,NJ - YouTube

Streetcar / Trolley
Top Speed : 20-40mph
Stops : Every 1000ft to Half Mile
Average line Length : 15 miles

SEPTA Subway--Surface Trolley Lines - YouTube

Subway / Elevated Rail
Top Speed : 60-70mph
Stops : Every 1000ft to half Mile
Average Line Length : 20 Miles

NYC Subway @ 14th Street - Union SQ - 4 - 5 - 6 & L - YouTube

Commuter / Regional Rail
Top Speed : 70-125mph
Stops : Every half mile to 2 miles
Average Line Length : 50-90 miles

Mountain Station Video Part 2 - YouTube

Intercity / High Speed Rail
Speeds : 125-230mph
Stops : Every 20-40 miles
Average line length : 300-500 Miles

Princeton Junction Amtrak Acela Express - YouTube

Old 12-23-2011, 08:09 PM

442 posts, read 539,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
oh, you'll pay in order to get veggies to the market, I'm quite sure of that.
We'd prefer if they were delivered by more efficient train, then distributed by truck locally as they used to be before we invested in the asphalt money pit of a highway system we have now.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:11 PM

That Acela video is absolutely badass. I rode it once, there's no experience like it.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:27 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
We'd prefer if they were delivered by more efficient train, then distributed by truck locally as they used to be before we invested in the asphalt money pit of a highway system we have now.
using trains would be a great idea if you like to eat rotten vegetables.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
using trains would be a great idea if you like to eat rotten vegetables.
Why would that cause vegetables to rot? If we had a rail system on par with other countries, we could directly load containers onto high speed trains and have them across the country much faster.

Then again, I buy local whenever I can.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:54 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
It's not the transport of commercial goods that is our primary problem here. It's the excessive amount of driving done by people who live in areas where public policy decisions have stacked the deck to encourage a lifestyle revolving around cars. It's not the truck driving to the store with tomatoes that's doing us in; it's the reality that public policies have made it easy to develop car-dependent lifestyles where hundreds of individual people get into their cars and drive several miles to get to the grocery store to buy the tomatoes, in the process putting massive amounts of wear and tear on an unnecessarily extensive road system that then has to be maintained and replaced. It's not just the local residents or drivers who are paying for those costs. I think people should have the right to live in a sprawling subdivision if that's what they want, but I think that the government policies should not be designed to make that decision come essentially cost-free to the people who live that lifestyle. Look at all the people out there who truly believe that roads are fully covered by gas taxes! I think many people simply have no idea that their housing choices come with broader implications and costs, and seriously believe that their lifestyle decisions are unsubsidized. Now if someone could make an argument that shaping our metro area to resemble Eagan was the best thing for the public good, then maybe those expenses would be worth it. But if anyone can make that argument I'd like to hear it.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
It's not the transport of commercial goods that is our primary problem here. It's the excessive amount of driving done by people who live in areas where public policy decisions have stacked the deck to encourage a lifestyle revolving around cars. It's not the truck driving to the store with tomatoes that's doing us in; it's the reality that public policies have made it easy to develop car-dependent lifestyles where hundreds of individual people get into their cars and drive several miles to get to the grocery store to buy the tomatoes, in the process putting massive amounts of wear and tear on an unnecessarily extensive road system that then has to be maintained and replaced. It's not just the local residents or drivers who are paying for those costs. I think people should have the right to live in a sprawling subdivision if that's what they want, but I think that the government policies should not be designed to make that decision come essentially cost-free to the people who live that lifestyle. Look at all the people out there who truly believe that roads are fully covered by gas taxes! I think many people simply have no idea that their housing choices come with broader implications and costs, and seriously believe that their lifestyle decisions are unsubsidized. Now if someone could make an argument that shaping our metro area to resemble Eagan was the best thing for the public good, then maybe those expenses would be worth it. But if anyone can make that argument I'd like to hear it.
Removing a lot of the trucks from the road would do wonders for air quality though. It would also reduce congestion and aid wear on the road making the roads less of a money pit.

I agree though. It's a fault of the way people live and the policies that allow them to live in that financially unsustainable way.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:09 PM

127 posts, read 192,367 times
So much venom directed towards suburban vs. urban living. Who's right and who's wrong? Great cities / metropolitan areas have both great urban cores, great suburbs, and great communities that run the full spectrum in between.

To each their own. As far as I'm concerned, there needs to be more expenditure on developing LRT, BRT, commuter rail, and streetcar networks. Likewise, keeping the existing freeway network unsnarled (such as the 169-494 project) is also a worthy endeavor. It's a matter of moving goods and resources with efficiency. Trains, planes, automobiles, streetcars, buses, bicycles, and nikes are all part of the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul