Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 09:47 PM

24 posts, read 174,343 times

Advertisements

My initial research seems to show a lot of new developments in the Minneapolis area, including the towns/suburbs just outside the city. My husband and I are considering relocating from Philadelphia and are looking for recommendations on areas with new construction that would be good for a 30-something couple with no kids who like a walkable neighborhood.

I appreciate any advice given!

Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 10:40 PM

55 posts, read 209,226 times
We were in the same situation - moving from NJ - but have a 20month old. We looked at a lot of neighbourhoods and the one we loved best was Linden Hills - There is no new construction but we saw some really nice places(condo&houses) that were redone recently and beautifully at that! Nice little book-store, cafe,etc... and the lake is a short walk too. Edina was another place that was nice but it couldnt beat the charm of Linden Hills.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:45 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,580,345 times
Are you asking about the City of Mpls., the inner-suburbs (suburban Hennepin and Ramsey Counties) or the outer-suburbs (Dakota, Carver, Anoka, Wash.,and Scott Counties)?

Old 08-27-2007, 05:43 AM

My main concern is anything that's accessible by public transit or is a generally good walkable area with a lot of shopping, parks, amenities nearby. I assume the city itself would be the best, but if there are suburban areas that meet these needs, then those would nice as well.

I'm in a research stage at this point, so anything that someone could recommend would be great. Our timeframe for moving is 18 months. I thought it best to ask those who know the city.

I hope I've helped answer Minnehahapolitan's questions!

Thanks,
Kelly

Old 08-27-2007, 05:46 AM

Edited: Never mind--found a profile of the area--how lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky609 View Post
We were in the same situation - moving from NJ - but have a 20month old. We looked at a lot of neighbourhoods and the one we loved best was Linden Hills - There is no new construction but we saw some really nice places(condo&houses) that were redone recently and beautifully at that! Nice little book-store, cafe,etc... and the lake is a short walk too. Edina was another place that was nice but it couldnt beat the charm of Linden Hills.
I tried locating Linden Hills. . .would that cover zip code 55410, inside the city limits?

Thanks,
Kelly

Last edited by kellyyouse; 08-27-2007 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: answered own question

Old 08-30-2007, 10:19 AM

55 posts, read 209,226 times
not sure....sorry

Old 08-30-2007, 11:01 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,580,345 times
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/abou...Zipcodes_D.pdf
55410 looks like its Linden Hills and a part of Armatage (which is newer, from the 1950's)
New construction is easy to find in some parts of town, parts are harder. Unless you are dead-set on new buildings, I would shy away from limiting a search to them as housing stock in Mpls. is generally well maintained, as there are some great areas that simply don't have more than a few new houses. (Linden Hills is one). I will take your word, however, and suggest areas where new (or remodeled buildings) are easier to find.
Uptown - A younger area of the city which is the most walkable area of the city, yuppified, vibrant. Dense, a good busline down Hennepin into Downtown, lots of shops, bars and restaurants around Lake and Hennepin. A couple theaters, a library. All the necessities are there. Close to the City Lakes. There are new developments going in on 29XX Lyndale. and "The Mosaic" on Lagoon Ave. (both unbuilt) There are recent developments along the "Midtown Greenway" bikepath under 29th Street, "The Loop" on the west side of Lk. Calhoun and a building on Lake and James.
Warehouse District - Old brick warehouses have been converted north of Hennepin Avenue. The light rail comes down 5th Street and will soon terminate at a new Twins Stadium (2010). Lots of bars and retaurants. Fewer shops and necessities, but still accessable to Nicollet Mall (Target, Dayton's, downtown Malls). There isn't much new construction, but things are converted. Close to river and its trails.
Northeast - The old Eastern European area of the City. Around E. Henn. and Central Ave.s. Shops, restaurants, a library, Central busline into Downtown. Some newer construction, alot of townhomes were put up in the 90's. A brand new Lunds Grocery is on Central, a nice, comfortable area.
University/Southeast - There is some newer stuff, the area is packed with 35,000 students. Prob. not the top of your list, but worth a mention.
Whittier - A grittier area, the most diverse population in Mpls. Nicollet has a busline, some new construction along the areas of Franklin and 26th St. along Nicollet. Not as yuppified as Uptown, but generally safe and convenient. Close to the Mpls. Institute of Arts.
Mill District - Was a sea of parking lots just ten years ago. Now it is a Gold Coast along the Mississippi. New MacPhail Center for Music is being built as I type. The renowned Guthrie Theater is on the riverfront. The whole ares is conversions and new construction, not as walkable and the transit isn't AS good, (go to Train on 5th St. mostly). Mill City Museum is in the old 1870's Washburn Mill, trails along Mississippi, new Gold Medal Park has an observation hill worth the hike. Washington Ave. has some shops and restaurants. The area is still kinda in development. I would imagine it will become more walkable as time goes on.
Saint Louis Park - Is only urban along Excelsior Blvd. Technically a suburb, the corridor has built a new urbanist development called "Excelsior on Grand" has a Trader Joe's, some chainish restaurants, a movie theater near Hwy. 100, a large medial clinic, some quaint shops. Still some vestiges of suburbia like strip malls, et. cetera.
Hopkins - Orig. the suburb of West Mpls. Has an industrial past. Now it is a nice suburb with a good Main Street, (Main has a couple developemnts) with a discount theater, Performing Arts center, some restaurants and antique shops. A strong community. Light Rail will eventually line Hopkins, Saint Louis Park, Mpls. and Eden Prairie generally along Excelsior Blvd.
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/abou...ghborhoods.pdf
Southwest Transitway.org
Metro Transit - Hi-Frequency Network
Metro Transit
Minneapolis Uptown Association (http://www.uptownminneapolis.com/enter/ - broken link)
Warehouse Business District Association - Minneapolis, Minnesota (http://www.mplswarehouse.com/index.cgi - broken link)
Minneapolis Riverfront
Northeast Minneapolis Chamber of Commerce | Home (broken link)
:.: Whittier Alliance : Minneapolis, Minnesota
The Official Site of The Minnesota Twins: Ballpark: Twins New Ballpark
http://www.downtownmpls.com/images/directions/DowntownMpls-map.pdf (broken link)
Edina Realty-Real Estate, Mortgage and Title Closing Experts (not suggesting any realtor, just a good site)
This should keep you busy.
---Minnehahapolitan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul