Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:44 PM

332 posts, read 824,038 times

Advertisements

Hi, I moved away from the Twin Cities and will be moving back in 8 months. We own a property in Woodbury that is now a rental. I am having a hard time trying to decide where to live because I really do like many areas. I know I can't have it all If you had to pick a place to live using these criteria points equally what town would you pick?

Budget: $600,000, Would like large (4000 sq foot + 4 bedroom and a large yard, modern (not summit avenue homes)

Good schools but would pay for private school if absolutely necessary though MN public schools are so good that paying for private school seems silly

Fast commute to University of Minnesota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 12:56 PM

812 posts, read 2,179,318 times
Edina would likely have a great home in your budget and they're known for good schools.

Tyrol Hills in Golden Valley would be a decent commute to the U. 600k is on the low end for the neighborhood but there are some in your range.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:15 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,450,823 times
Edina but the housing stock would be older. I would look at Eagan to start. Mahtomedi would be another choice, especially since you are familiar with that side of the cities.

Also, define "quick". Are you open to riding the bus? There is an express bus from Apple Valley to the U of M that is very "quick" and no parking worries at the U. That would open you up to Apple Valley, Rosemount and Lakeville areas as well. Getting to the U from the south metro is pretty easy, quick hop up 35E, over on Ayd Mill Rd to Hamline or Snelling (barring current construction there) and over to 94 and either 280 or Huron depending on East/West bank. Just drove that route on Thursday, taking the long way around because I was going to go up Cedar because of the construction on 94--BAD accident on Cedar so after going 10 minutes out of the way, took me 40 minutes TOTAL to get to the parking ramp I needed at the U of M Riverside Hospital-leaving my house at 8:08 AM-30 minute ride up from basically Apple Valley to there WITH bad construction/traffic.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:37 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,398,815 times
Mahtomedi is a good area. My girlfriend grew up there and the schools and sports there and lack of crime are great.

Personally growing up on the East Side and not wanting to raise (future) children there, my choice is probably going to be North St. Paul. There is just something about North St. Paul that is pleasant to me. But that's me.

Again, Mahtomedi is a nice choice. Stillwater or even maybe Dellwood or White Bear are also nice choices. A lot of our richest Minnesotans live in Dellwood, but 600K is a handsome budget.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:52 PM

687 posts, read 1,261,049 times
I'd look in Roseville, Arden Hills, Shoreview. You get the big advantage of not having to commute through downtown Minneapolis. The only traffic issues would be 35W and 36 during rush hour, and those aren't too bad really. I'd probably look at Mounds View or possibly Roseville or St. Anthony school districts.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:56 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,398,815 times
Little Canada is also a place I would have absolutely no problem living in, and the commute to Minny (is that a requirement?) is easy on 36 there. I've also heard a rumor Twins Manager Gardy lives in Little Canada, on Lake Gervais in fact.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsub View Post
I'd look in Roseville, Arden Hills, Shoreview. You get the big advantage of not having to commute through downtown Minneapolis. The only traffic issues would be 35W and 36 during rush hour, and those aren't too bad really. I'd probably look at Mounds View or possibly Roseville or St. Anthony school districts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Little Canada is also a place I would have absolutely no problem living in, and the commute to Minny (is that a requirement?) is easy on 36 there. I've also heard a rumor Twins Manager Gardy lives in Little Canada, on Lake Gervais in fact.
Problem with most of these areas is the age of the housing stock-the OP said she wants new...and then a few of them you have issues with schools. The North St. Paul schools are NOT good. Roseville, according to our friend in the city administration there is going to experience a rapid downturn in the not to distant future. They are already seeing issues in the lower grades, just something to think about.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:18 PM

332 posts, read 824,038 times
Thanks for the responses. How about Mendota Heights? I will consider other locations. We have not seen a home in Edina that fits the bill yet. Is the commute from Eden Prairie or Minnetonka just way too far? Golden Valley is out of our price range along with Wayzata it seems.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:34 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,431,828 times
I only see one home on the MLS in Mendota Heights that meets your requirements so that might be a challenge. The suburbs where I seem to be seeing alot of newer properties with 4000+ sq ft, larger lots, 4+ Beds for under 600k are in Plymouth, Inver Grove Heights, Blaine, Minnetonka, Shakopee, Savage, Ham Lake, Chaska, Chanhassen, Orono, Andover, Ramsey, Hudson (WI), Apple Valley and Bloomington.

It seems like your biggest challenge will be proximity to the U as alot of these properties are further into the outer burbs. That one Mendota Heights property was one of the closest ones I saw to the U, it's at 1851 Warrior Dr. (MLS# 4035346).

Old 09-03-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle_pal View Post
Thanks for the responses. How about Mendota Heights? I will consider other locations. We have not seen a home in Edina that fits the bill yet. Is the commute from Eden Prairie or Minnetonka just way too far? Golden Valley is out of our price range along with Wayzata it seems.
Mendota Heights is a great area, not really a "walkable" suburb but it is an older, established suburb in a good school district. It would be maybe 20 minutes to the U of MN depending on where exactly you are in Mendota Heights. Housing stock there tends to be older though, but not all of it. The Copperfield development is less than 20 years old.

Eden Prairie and Wayzata aren't "bad" commutes but traffic over there can be pretty heavy and it seems like Highway 169 is perpetually under construction. Keep in mind that Wayzata and Eden Prairie rank number one and number two for the largest high schools in the state it that makes a difference. They are double or more in size compared to the rest of the "big" schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul