Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:03 AM

356 posts, read 606,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This is completely untrue. Golfgal has no knowledge or experience of Southwest (or other MPS schools) and has consistently proven that through the repetition of incorrect facts..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Thought I was the only one who noticed.
You're not the only one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplified View Post
I've read through many of the threads here on the TC and Eagan in particular but I still have so many questions.

We are moving out to Minnesota the 1st week of July and I will be working in Eagan.

We are a family of 5 with children ages: 14, 6, 1.

1.) My biggest question is actually regarding best or most realistic place to live. We will be renting for the first year and have no clue what area to focus our hunt. At this point based on what I've read in the forum we are leaning to the following areas: Eagan, Apple Valley, Rosemount, Bloomington, West St. Paul, Lakeville, Burnsville, or maybe south Minneapolis. I've lived in the cold and snow so a moderate commute doesn't bother me. The biggest factors are rental prices and schools for the kids. I would love to hear feedback regarding these or other areas that I should consider.
For schools and commute purposes, those areas are good choices. I might caution you about Burnsville and the only reason is it seems the city council is quite free with tax payer money, there is a lot of wastage and the mayor likes the perks of the job.

If you consider S. Minneapolis, you will have a commute over either Hwy 55 to 35E or Cedar/77 to 35E, which can be iffy in the winter. Best to stay on this side for the easier commute.

Quote:
4.) Is a garage a must due to the cold temps? We did not have one when we lived in Erie, PA but it wasn't quite as cold there. Lowest temp we had was -11 (-27 windchill)
I'm surprised so many are saying a garage is not a must. Given you've been in S. California, I would say for you, it is! Winter is difficult enough with having to shovel drives in order to get out of the driveway before work. Add in brushing off two cars and add another 30 minutes to your morning before work. It will make your life SO much easier to have a garage. Most in these districts have them, except for some townhomes, as was already mentioned.

Keep in mind, when you buy, I personally believe in this climate, a garage is a MUST for resale value.

Quote:
5.) Are the people in the TC really as friendly as I've heard?
I suggest you read some of the threads on this topic here. This subject gets very heated and there are very divisive opinions.

I will say that in my experience, people in the TC's are friendly and will give your car a boost if you are stranded. Will they invite you to their home for a BBQ to welcome you to the neighbourhood? Most likely not.

Since you have kids, you will have a much easier time meeting people through them and their sports activities.

Quote:
6.) Honestly, how bad are the mosquitoes in the summer?
I'm a mozzie magnet and they aren't that bad, but as others have mentioned, it varies depending on moisture. Bug guard has come a long way over the years.

Quote:
7.) How often does it hit over 100 in the summer. One thing we hate about the Southern California valley is the number of 100+ days. I don't care if they say it's "dry heat". It sucks! We hate the heat and love the cold, rain and snow.
I don't know where GG gets her misinformation. 100 is extremely rare here. Good Question: How Rare Is 100 Degrees? « CBS Minnesota

Only 11 times since 1980 has it hit over 100 degrees, and 4 of those days were in July 1988 - so 7 times in 31 years.

Quote:
8.) Is a basement a must due to the tornado possibilities?
Tornados freak me out, so for me, a basement is a must. If you buy a home, you will most likely have a basement. Make sure you teach your kids tornado safety.

One thing we realized just the other week was we need to get a weather radio. We have satellite TV and with the storms, we lost our signal, so we had no idea what, if anything, was heading our way. I had the internet, but if it came to having to duck into the basement, then only my blackberry would hopefully work. If you get cable, you're ok, but if you plan to get satellite, a weather radio is a good idea.

Quote:
9.) Will we be welcomed in the community being outsiders?
See #5.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksals View Post
For schools and commute purposes, those areas are good choices. I might caution you about Burnsville and the only reason is it seems the city council is quite free with tax payer money, there is a lot of wastage and the mayor likes the perks of the job.

If you consider S. Minneapolis, you will have a commute over either Hwy 55 to 35E or Cedar/77 to 35E, which can be iffy in the winter. Best to stay on this side for the easier commute.

I'm surprised so many are saying a garage is not a must. Given you've been in S. California, I would say for you, it is! Winter is difficult enough with having to shovel drives in order to get out of the driveway before work. Add in brushing off two cars and add another 30 minutes to your morning before work. It will make your life SO much easier to have a garage. Most in these districts have them, except for some townhomes, as was already mentioned.

Keep in mind, when you buy, I personally believe in this climate, a garage is a MUST for resale value.

I suggest you read some of the threads on this topic here. This subject gets very heated and there are very divisive opinions.

I will say that in my experience, people in the TC's are friendly and will give your car a boost if you are stranded. Will they invite you to their home for a BBQ to welcome you to the neighbourhood? Most likely not.

Since you have kids, you will have a much easier time meeting people through them and their sports activities.

I'm a mozzie magnet and they aren't that bad, but as others have mentioned, it varies depending on moisture. Bug guard has come a long way over the years.

I don't know where GG gets her misinformation. 100 is extremely rare here. Good Question: How Rare Is 100 Degrees? « CBS Minnesota

Only 11 times since 1980 has it hit over 100 degrees, and 4 of those days were in July 1988 - so 7 times in 31 years.

Tornados freak me out, so for me, a basement is a must. If you buy a home, you will most likely have a basement. Make sure you teach your kids tornado safety.

One thing we realized just the other week was we need to get a weather radio. We have satellite TV and with the storms, we lost our signal, so we had no idea what, if anything, was heading our way. I had the internet, but if it came to having to duck into the basement, then only my blackberry would hopefully work. If you get cable, you're ok, but if you plan to get satellite, a weather radio is a good idea.

See #5.
Because the "official" temp is taken at the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport and while that "official" temp may be 99 degree, it is often 100+ elsewhere in the metro area and in other parts of the state. The "official" temp the other day was 104 but it only got to 100 here, just 10 miles south of the "official" site.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:25 AM

47 posts, read 198,162 times
Thanks for all the feedback sparksals. Anyone have info regarding the areas I listed?

Old 06-11-2011, 12:40 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,385,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksals View Post
I make this commute daily and it's about as easy a commute as you'll find since you're going opposite of traffic. I've never had any issues.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
How about in eagan on lynx ct near dodd/wilderness run? Nice area?
Here is a Mapquest satellite of the area. Lots of trees, borders on a park and is still close to everything you need.

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Here is a map to the closest Walgreen's: MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Cub foods is just up the street from Walgreen's.

And here is a map to Home Depot from that street. Not far and there are several stores in that area from grocery to Michaels to Bed Bath and Beyond. MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

All in all , a nice area

Old 06-11-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I make this commute daily and it's about as easy a commute as you'll find since you're going opposite of traffic. I've never had any issues.
Oh - that's a good point about going against traffic.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:52 PM

47 posts, read 198,162 times
I'm looking at a townhome on hill ridge dr in eagan (nearest major cross streets hwy 13/yankee doodle).

Does anyone know anything about this area? Safe?

Old 06-12-2011, 05:56 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Quote:
I'm looking at a townhome on hill ridge dr in eagan (nearest major cross streets hwy 13/yankee doodle).

Does anyone know anything about this area? Safe?
That would be in an area of Eagan that I would avoid. Try to stay on the other side of Pilot Knob in Eagan for the most part. Look more toward Lexington and Yankee Doodle to the townhomes/apartments over there. Those are very nice, great location, safe area, lots of park space, walking trails, etc. right there.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:57 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,886,979 times
What is this I keep hearing about "unsafe" areas of Eagan??? I had NO IDEA there was any area in Eagan that anyone would consider unsafe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul