Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,759,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Can we agree that SW Mpls is what the city of Mpls defines it to be? Those neighborhoods I listed?
I've grew up in the Powderhorn/Central neighborhoods which are unquestionably S Mpls. Then we migrated West and lived in the Lynn/Lake neighborhood which to all of us in the neighborhood was/is S Mpls. Then we moved a little further West to 32nd/Emerson which we in the neighborhood called the "Uptown" area of S Mpls. West High School closed so I was bussed to Mpls SW. Kids from that school identified themselves as being from the Southwest area or Southwest neighborhood of S Mpls.

I don't think there is a right answer to this question & it comes up frequently in posting forums, but my OPINION is that SW & Uptown are areas, not neighborhoods within S Mpls. Here are the five main areas of Mpls that in my mind have sub-areas within them...

North Mpls
NE Mpls
Downtown
SE Mpls (U of M)
S Mpls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 AM

223 posts, read 524,868 times
Thumbs up Great Information

Thanks to the OP for posting/starting this thread . My family is in a very similar situation and this info has answered many of my questions! Good luck to you.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,034,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
I would argue that this is wrong. "The core is considered the official community of Southwest is bounded on the north by the line of 36th St W, extending west from where it ends at Lake Calhoun, and on the east by I-35W."

In any case, the designation southwest is not one that I've ever heard being used often. Generally everything south of the river is South Minneapolis.
Forgive me if I'm not using the city's definitions. I find them far too arbitrary. I myself don't live in South/Southwest Minneapolis (I'm in good ol' Southeast, Como to be specific), but I have heard the terms South and Southwest used a lot, and usually the people have been referring to a much more broad region (although for places like Whittier they do say "south of downtown").

I also use the term Southwest perhaps a bit more loosely because I spent last semester working at the Southwest Journal, which covers everything south of downtown and west of I-35W. Everything east of there was South Minneapolis to us.

Regardless, I think the interstate really splits two areas now that have some differences and certainly if they're looking for schools, the OP might simply want to look into whether they want Southwest, Washburn, or South. They all offer a good education, so housing stock, amenities, etc. will be key.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:26 PM

47 posts, read 198,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeb4 View Post
Thanks to the OP for posting/starting this thread . My family is in a very similar situation and this info has answered many of my questions! Good luck to you.
No problem.

Still looking for a place but really struggling. How about the neighborhood around powderhorn park? On S Bloomington/ e 32nd. Is this area safe.

In addition are pretty much all of Eagan, Apple valley, Rosemount, and Lakesville a safe place to live?

Last edited by amplified; 06-07-2011 at 02:38 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 02:47 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,403,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amplified View Post
No problem.

Still looking for a place but really struggling. How about the neighborhood around powderhorn park? On S Bloomington/ e 32nd. Is this area safe.

In addition are pretty much all of Eagan, Apple valley, Rosemount, and Lakesville a safe place to live?
Bloomington and 32nd is right by where we live. I would take a good luck at the area around there before you make any decisions. Depending on what you consider safe that area may not be the best choice for you. On a sidenote, Powderhorn Park is awesome and we love Mercado Central on the corner of Lake and Bloomington (basically a miniature Mexican mall).

Regarding safety, I don't think you should have anything to worry about in those suburban locations. There are a couple apartment complexes in Eagan off of Hwy 13 that have had some crime issues, but I wouldn't be concerned for the most part.

I've lived in both Eagan and South Minneapolis and the only crime I have been a victim of in both places was vandalism. Personally, I've never felt my safety was compromised in either location.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 06-07-2011 at 03:34 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 02:51 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,720,964 times
The only place in Eagan, Apple Valley, Rosemount, Lakeville that isn't safe is the Westcott Apartments in Eagan. It's a low income apt. complex that had a bad streak of violence in the early 2000's, so the local police had to rent out an apartment of their own and put in a precinct until the violence died down. But I haven't heard anything about this area in a long time. Even then, this isn't even a neighborhood, it's just 1 (albeit large) complex. Everywhere else and you're good.

Oh, yeah, it's located just east of Westcott and Lexington.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:18 PM

18 posts, read 43,479 times
Default Townhomes in Eagan

There are definitely some townhomes that are nicer than others in Eagan, if you want to tell us the intersection they are near or the address I am sure we can give you more info about the areas.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori14 View Post
There are definitely some townhomes that are nicer than others in Eagan, if you want to tell us the intersection they are near or the address I am sure we can give you more info about the areas.
How about diffley/pilot knob (balsam st to be exact)

meadowlark rd near blackhawk

Old 06-08-2011, 09:53 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,403,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amplified View Post
How about diffley/pilot knob (balsam st to be exact)

meadowlark rd near blackhawk
Wow, I lived RIGHT by the Diffley/Pilot Knob location (on Easter Ln). I wasn't a huge fan of the street I was on as one side of the street is comprised of poorly maintained duplexes...Balsam may be a little different, I can't say I remember what that street looked like. The area isn't walkable at all which was probably my biggest complaint when I lived there.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 PM

How about in eagan on lynx ct near dodd/wilderness run? Nice area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul