Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:14 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,124,820 times

Advertisements

I have to say I've been in and around every major city in this country - and a fair number overseas. I've lived in or spent a lot of time in many, many parts of the US.

This may smack of "homerism" but Minneapolis/St. Paul is one of the very best areas in the country in terms of Quality of Life (whatever that may mean to you). There are few cities that can combine high literacy, art opportunities, urbanity, high educational standards, low crime, sports options, civic participation, beauty and a general sense of well-being as well as the Twin Cities can.

This is truly a rare combination. On the other hand, the weather is extreme and the natives can sometimes be insular. And everyone's experience will be different.

I worked in residential architecture before the Great Recession and I can tell you there is a high demand for quality cabinetry and finish carpentry around here. That goes hand-in-hand with the general demand for a high-quality of living. And even if you have a hard time finding work in the trades, there is also a strong "art furniture" movement here. Blu-Dot, for example, is based in NE Minneapolis.

There are several very respectable woodworking businesses that have suffered from the economy. But the desire for quality will never die away. People around here who are used to fine work will pay to get it. And this economy will (hopefully) get a lot better again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
On the art front: the American Craft Council recently relocated here from NYC, which I think says something about the local appreciation and support for "art furniture" and crafts in general, if your skills and interests lie in that direction. Lots of local collectors, too.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:31 PM

268 posts, read 391,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Probably not, considering that 94% of people in the US are employed.
According to you there is 6% unemployment. Hmmm Gallup:” 18 percent of Americans are unemployed or underemployed.” I’m not sure who to believe….I think I’ll go with Gallup. By the way, 18% is conservative. We are heading into the next GREAT DEPRESSION my friend. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Furthermore 18% does not count the many who have ran out of unemployment insurance. Independent contractors don’t count either. Like I said, 18% is low. Those are depression era numbers.

Last edited by handog; 04-11-2011 at 08:18 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 07:40 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handog View Post
According to you there is 6% unemployment. Hmmm Gallup:” 18 percent of Americans are unemployed or underemployed.” I’m not sure who to believe….I think I’ll go with Gallup. By the way, 18% is conservative. We are heading into the next GREAT DEPRESSION my friend. Don’t shoot the messenger.
Plus it's the working population, aka 16+.

And, unemployment numbers are totally skewed. They don't count people who are underemployed (I know of a 45 yr old former wall street exec who once made $25,000 in one month, now working retail making $15 an hour), that doesn't count those who have ran out of their UE benefits, and that only counts the unemployed actively seeking work (there are thousands who have all but given up on looking for work, either because a) they don't need the money that bad, ie trusts, 401(k), savings, family help or b) they cannot find work in a very very very specialized field.

Plus, the age group 16-25 is the highest unemployed demographic at nearly 25%. I'd say that the unemployment rate is near 19%-23%.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:55 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
Hmmm I wonder if that has anything to do with the severe lack of jobs in this country?
That's fine. As soon as Americans realize that they're not entitled to everything under the sun, like having their cake and eating it too, then this country will be fine.

I just heard someone complaining that they only made $10 an hour working the register at Target. I think that's plenty. You have no specialized skill. No specialized trade. Nothing at all makes you valuable other than your ability to provide a human interaction to the customer who would have inevitably came to that store anyway (self checkout anyone?).

Old 04-11-2011, 08:08 PM

268 posts, read 391,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
That's fine. As soon as Americans realize that they're not entitled to everything under the sun, like having their cake and eating it too, then this country will be fine.

I just heard someone complaining that they only made $10 an hour working the register at Target. I think that's plenty. You have no specialized skill. No specialized trade. Nothing at all makes you valuable other than your ability to provide a human interaction to the customer who would have inevitably came to that store anyway (self checkout anyone?).
It’s not unusual for a cashier or someone flipping burgers to have a PHD in this country. I have seen it with my own eyes.

The good paying jobs are being shipped over seas at an alarming rate. What’s left? Cashiers! If I spent 100K for a worthless degree I would be complaining too.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times
Quote:

Furthermore 18% does not count the many who have ran out of unemployment insurance. Independent contractors don’t count either. Like I said, 18% is low. Those are depression era numbers.
What? The unemployment rate is 6.7%...check it out...

Unemployment rate at 6.7%: The 'new normal' - Feb. 14, 2011

Underemployed is a totally different topic. I was let go from my job in 2008 and went back to my pizza place and delivered pizzas for a few months. Was I underemployed? Yes. Was I able to make rent, buy food, and still save money? Yes. Even though I wasn't making my full potential in the summer of 2008, I was still employed and making money.

I would believe your 18% - but keep in mind, that 12% that is "underemployed", which can mean a lot of things. Finding a waiting/pizza driving/bartending job where you make $15/hr in tips is enough to live on... esp in the midwest.

Heading for the great depression? The DOW was up 19% in 2009. The DOW was up 14% in 2010. The DOW is currently up 3% in 2011 and is predicted to close near 13,500... I spend way too much time reading about finance and economics...

Last edited by yoyoma02; 04-11-2011 at 11:23 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times
Quote:
It’s not unusual for a cashier or someone flipping burgers to have a PHD in this country. I have seen it with my own eyes.

The good paying jobs are being shipped over seas at an alarming rate. What’s left? Cashiers! If I spent 100K for a worthless degree I would be complaining too.
I used to deliver pizzas with a guy who had his law degree. It was really interesting to hear his story... he was like 29, over 100k in debt, and couldn't find work. I remember him telling me that while education is important, there are too many people that think a degree equals success.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:34 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
The problem is that people grow up thinking a degree magically opens the doors to the middle class. It is useful but what you really need is a plan, a degree won't do it in and of itself.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
Of course. A hundred years ago, the ruling class decided to pay their workers enough to buy all the manufactured goods their factories produced. Nowadays, the very rich run their grandparent's businesses into the ground while making off with the loot. Why should they care whether you can afford to buy anything - they got theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul