Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:59 PM

109 posts, read 307,710 times

Advertisements

I've drawn a map to indicate the areas that would qualify based on your criteria. The red indicates regions that you've specified are outside of the border. The blue indicates good quality transit lines. The orange indicates a neighborhood that I consider to be too poor and run down to have what you are looking for (north minneapolis).

The northeast region as a whole can probably be excluded due to the following:
1) Columbia Heights contains more middle class people and families.
2) St Anthony Main and the surrounding areas are probably too noisy due to the active night life

The west metro doesn't really get good transit and they are probably too suburban for your tastes.

That leaves the southwest metro. Similar to the comments you've already received, I would concur that Eden Prairie, Richfield, and Bloomington don't really have what it takes as they are more for middle class family populations. Edina (particularly around 50th and France) is a place I would definately consider snooty with nice little shops but it's definately intended for an older crowd. I personally feel like Lyn-Lake and anything within the wedge feels too close to being uptown-ish. The storefronts along the commerical areas of Lyn-Lake are very similar to uptown. Both have newer density housing developments being built regularly. Anything east of the wedge is essentially right by 35W. I wouldn't consider anything east of the lakes and south of Lake Street to be what you are looking for.

For Minneapolis, that leaves these couple neighborhoods which were already mentioned:
1) West Lake Street - this may be your best bet.
2) Anywhere near the lakes. While the people in the these parts may be older, it meets the criteria otherwise, provided you find the non-uptown-located shops to be enough for you.

I would also seriously consider St Louis Park. While it tends to draw younger families and some younger single people, there are definately some upscale and shop-like places along there, especially next to Excelsior Boulevard.

It's too bad that St Paul is out of the list of options. I really think that the Cathedral Hill area and the places near Grand Ave would be a perfect fit for you based on what you described. If you don't mind a little longer bus ride or the aspect of living it St. Paul, it would otherwise meet your criteria better than anything else listed above. You could catch a 21 bus to the lightrail. Otherwise, if you are set on not doing any transit transfers and don't mind a longer walk, you could just walk up to Central Corridor. St Paul tends to have that quiet aspect to it while still having a street life in some areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 10:15 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,758,141 times
Yes, I'm still reading his posts and thinking that either West Calhoun into SLP seem like the best fit Minneapolis has to offer. Younger than Edina, fewer weirdos than Uptown, quick bus commute to downtown.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:37 AM

196 posts, read 921,066 times
Let me blunt... you think you're too good to live amongst "blue collar" people, claim to be a successful "banker," but aren't smart enough to figure out the handful of trendy places to live in the metro? What exactly did you expect from Eagan? ...which is pretty much the definition of a white bread MN suburb. If this isn't a joke, you sound like everything that is wrong with my generation.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:54 AM

59 posts, read 308,589 times
Hello to you as well. If you would have read above, you would have read that I mentioned a few neighborhoods that I consider acceptable. You also would have read the reason why I'm currently located in Eagan. Furthermore, you would have read that I have a general idea of where I want to live, but was looking for some comments and opinions from those who may already live there to make my decision. Have a wonderful day.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:08 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krillbee View Post
I've drawn a map to indicate the areas that would qualify based on your criteria. The red indicates regions that you've specified are outside of the border. The blue indicates good quality transit lines. The orange indicates a neighborhood that I consider to be too poor and run down to have what you are looking for (north minneapolis).

2) St Anthony Main and the surrounding areas are probably too noisy due to the active night life

The west metro doesn't really get good transit and they are probably too suburban for your tastes.

That leaves the southwest metro. Similar to the comments you've already received, I would concur that Eden Prairie, Richfield, and Bloomington don't really have what it takes as they are more for middle class family populations. Edina (particularly around 50th and France) is a place I would definately consider snooty with nice little shops but it's definately intended for an older crowd. I personally feel like Lyn-Lake and anything within the wedge feels too close to being uptown-ish. The storefronts along the commerical areas of Lyn-Lake are very similar to uptown. Both have newer density housing developments being built regularly. Anything east of the wedge is essentially right by 35W. I wouldn't consider anything east of the lakes and south of Lake Street to be what you are looking for.

For Minneapolis, that leaves these couple neighborhoods which were already mentioned:
2) Anywhere near the lakes. While the people in the these parts may be older, it meets the criteria otherwise, provided you find the non-uptown-located shops to be enough for you.

I would also seriously consider St Louis Park. While it tends to draw younger families and some younger single people, there are definately some upscale and shop-like places along there, especially next to Excelsior Boulevard.

It's too bad that St Paul is out of the list of options. I really think that the Cathedral Hill area and the places near Grand Ave would be a perfect fit for you based on what you described. If you don't mind a little longer bus ride or the aspect of living it St. Paul, it would otherwise meet your criteria better than anything else listed above. You could catch a 21 bus to the lightrail. Otherwise, if you are set on not doing any transit transfers and don't mind a longer walk, you could just walk up to Central Corridor. St Paul tends to have that quiet aspect to it while still having a street life in some areas.
You really took the time to prepare this for Andrew T? Bless your heart

Old 03-15-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
You really took the time to prepare this for Andrew T? Bless your heart

... hee hee

Old 03-15-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krillbee View Post

Thanks for the map! That's awesome! I am thinking of looking at areas you mentioned - West of Calhoun, and areas of Saint Louis Park. Regarding Saint Paul, unfortunately, I do find it to be too sleepy for me. I can see where based on my "criteria", Grand Avenue would be good, but... no Saint Paul. Something about it rubs me the wrong way (and I know it's not just me because I know a lot of others who agree ). My parents still think I'm suburb material (Edina), but, they'll be coming up to look with me in a few weeks. It's not really so much what they want, it's definitely me, however, I know that they won't want to see any weird people or run down areas in the vicinity of where I'll be living. Also, do you happen to know the average rent range in West Calhoun / SLP ?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:20 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,758,141 times
Rents range dramatically in West Calhoun/SLP; I'm not sure what the bottom range is, but probably from the fairly cheap (maybe $600/studio in a modern, although not brand-new, building), right on up to thousands for a posh place in the Calhoun Beach Club overlooking the lake.

I actually find that stretch of West Calhoun to be far more "suburban" in feel than the NE Edina/50th and France area.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:25 AM

927 posts, read 2,468,502 times
1 bedrooms on West Calhoun will go for about $700 - $900/month.

You are being way too picky on a place to live. You're renting, not buying. Just pick an area and move there, it's not rocket science.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:19 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,688,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
1 bedrooms on West Calhoun will go for about $700 - $900/month.

You are being way too picky on a place to live. You're renting, not buying. Just pick an area and move there, it's not rocket science.
I don't think it's possible to be 'too picky' when choosing a place to live, whether it's renting or buying. The opportunities are endless, as there are thousands of different options for renting. Why not be picky? If you're going to spend $700-900 a month why wouldn't you be picky? Renting to some people is more than just "picking an area and moving there"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul