Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:28 AM

256 posts, read 587,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I'm still considering the trip. At the present moment I am kind of sick, so things are up in the air. I am not looking for anything fancy, just something to get me from the 4th of February to the 6th. I don't know how $179 a night for a hotel is a bargain.
I agree, I don't see $179 as a bargain, my wife and I stayed at the Marquette Hotel in the IDS tower, and payed just about that, and that was a splurge for our 10th anniversary. There are plenty of decent hotels that you can get for good prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:25 PM

73,143 posts, read 62,844,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I agree, I don't see $179 as a bargain, my wife and I stayed at the Marquette Hotel in the IDS tower, and payed just about that, and that was a splurge for our 10th anniversary. There are plenty of decent hotels that you can get for good prices.
I could be staying in a hostel for all I know. I just need a place that is cheap and in St. Paul.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:50 AM

Well, it looks like I might not have to worry about a hotel. All I need to do now is make a phone call to my aunt and tell her I'm coming. I just have to make some phone calls and then buy the ticket.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:52 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,419,235 times
If you have a morning or afternoon to kill you could also stop by the Como Zoo since it's near the other places you're checking out. Besides the animal exhibits they also have some indoor gardens that are pretty cool.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
If you have a morning or afternoon to kill you could also stop by the Como Zoo since it's near the other places you're checking out. Besides the animal exhibits they also have some indoor gardens that are pretty cool.
I probably will. However, what is there to do at night?

Old 01-29-2011, 03:57 PM

I also have another thing to worry about. Chances are, I will be in Minneapolis. Which transit route will get me from Mpls to St. Paul? I ask because my specific reasons for going to St. Paul involve seeing the Cathedral, and the Winter Carnival. Getting TO the TC is easy. Getting around will be the hard part, as I have never used the transit in Minneapolis or St. Paul. I know there is a line that can get me from Mpls to Bloomington. I need to find which line will get me to St. Paul.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:15 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,232,725 times
Where in Minneapolis are you going to be? There are several ways to take there. Just buses, though.

You can type in addresses or landmarks at metrotransit.org Plus, they have the whole system map on there too. Should answer all your questions.

The quickest way to get from Downtown to Downtown is the 94 (takes the highway). The most popular way is the 16 (or its limited stop version, the 50). The 3 is another way to get there, which goes through Como on its way from Downtown to Downtown.

If you're going to be in or around uptown, the 21A goes to Downtown Saint Paul as well.

And there are a couple of other options which really only make sense if you're staying in the particular area the bus goes through.

It's not the greatest transit system in the world, but it's still pretty usable.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:26 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,419,235 times
Things to do at night? Well, besides bars, there really isn't a whole lot. Maybe head to a Twolves or Wild game if they are in town? You could go bowling or catch a comedy show or movie of course. If you're not into the bar scene there are alot of cool coffee shops in town that are open late. We were actually at a pretty cool one last night off of Eat Street (2404 Nicollet Ave) called Spyhouse. It'd be a cool place to check out if you're looking for a late night caffeine fix.

For public transportation options, I agree that the best thing you can do is go to the Metro Transit website.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Things to do at night? Well, besides bars, there really isn't a whole lot. Maybe head to a Twolves or Wild game if they are in town? You could go bowling or catch a comedy show or movie of course. If you're not into the bar scene there are alot of cool coffee shops in town that are open late. We were actually at a pretty cool one last night off of Eat Street (2404 Nicollet Ave) called Spyhouse. It'd be a cool place to check out if you're looking for a late night caffeine fix.

For public transportation options, I agree that the best thing you can do is go to the Metro Transit website.
I'm not into the bar scene. I am big on coffee though. Bookstores as well. I will keep Spyhouse in mind. I just want to do something besides go to the club.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Where in Minneapolis are you going to be? There are several ways to take there. Just buses, though.

You can type in addresses or landmarks at metrotransit.org Plus, they have the whole system map on there too. Should answer all your questions.

The quickest way to get from Downtown to Downtown is the 94 (takes the highway). The most popular way is the 16 (or its limited stop version, the 50). The 3 is another way to get there, which goes through Como on its way from Downtown to Downtown.

If you're going to be in or around uptown, the 21A goes to Downtown Saint Paul as well.

And there are a couple of other options which really only make sense if you're staying in the particular area the bus goes through.

It's not the greatest transit system in the world, but it's still pretty usable.
I did get a look at the transit system. It is kind of hard to read the maps though. I will keep the 94 in mind. I don't know what part of Minneapolis I will be in, as my aunt isn't living in the same house that she did in 1992, the last time I was in Minneapolis. Knowing my aunt, it might be in South Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul