Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:36 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede in CA View Post
Our budget for a home is around $470,000, we would like not to go over it to feel comfortable and still have money for travel and some hobbies.

1. Golfgal, what did you mean by saying that Chanhassen is much more scenic? I would very much like to live next to a park or a lake, with some view and mature trees.
2. I understood that Math and Science Academy in Woodbury is a charter school where I have to put my child on a waiting list for this school. Is it correct? I checked the website and it is a nice school. I think it is # 1 in MN.
3. Wayzata schools are the best, but I am afraid they are too big for my taste and my child. She will come froma very small private Lutheran school where it is OK to call a principal by his first name and have a cup of tea at the same table on lunch.
4. The child is into biology/animal research, chemsitry/ earth science.
5. Option for going to a community college while in a high school was alive in CA until last year. My older child graduated from La Jolla High and took many classes at the college, but the last semester we had to pay bc it changed. Well, CA one unit is only $26 and a regular class is only 3 units. and 4 if science, most foreign language classes are 5 units.
6. House. In this price range many houses are huge with basement. I think it is nice giving long winter and need for a space. I would rather have a little smaller house but with trees, /view/lake around/park.
7. doe anyone have experience with Concordia language village for children? We want her to try to go to Swedish or Russian village.
Chanhassen has a lot of hills and trees, not sure what is there for lakes, etc. The area around the Minnesota Zoo in Apple Valley is lovely-probably exactly what you are looking for and from your #4 the School of Environmental Science would be right up her alley-held AT the Minnesota Zoo. The price range is also easy to work with in that area. SES is a smaller school, only juniors and seniors and has about 450 kids or so.

The Concordia Language Villages are wonderful. You can earn college credits there as well, however it is VERY expensive to do so, much more then you would pay in college. She can take Russian in the 196 district so that would be an option too. They also offer Japanese and Chinese as well as the basics, Spanish, German, French.

The post secondary option is free in MN, not that $26 is all that much, but it is nice that it is free. She can take classes at the high school or on most of the college campuses around here (most kids take classes at the University of MN or one of the smaller, private schools like St. Thomas).

Wayzata may have some of the highest test scores but I wouldn't consider them the "best". There is a lot more to the school then test scores.

Our high school principal is a great guy-VERY supportive of the kids, faculty, staff, programs, etc. Most of the kids know him and like him. I don't know if he has tea in the cafeteria though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 07:55 PM

210 posts, read 499,404 times
What high school in Apple Valley are you talking about? Where is it located?

Old 12-11-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
What high school in Apple Valley are you talking about? Where is it located?
The School for Environmental Sciences, it is part of the 196 School district on the Minnesota Zoo Campus. It is only for juniors and seniors so if she is a freshman or sophomore she would need to attend another high school first. I would HIGHLY recommend Rosemount High School first, then if she likes it, move over to SES for junior and senior year or she can stay at Rosemount and take a couple classes over at SES (you don't have to go full time there), for example.

http://www.district196.org/ses/

http://www.district196.org/

Old 12-11-2010, 08:07 PM

210 posts, read 499,404 times
Oh, Okay, sounds fine. What do you know about New Prague? It seems like large land and nice housing. How about commute?

Old 12-12-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Oh, Okay, sounds fine. What do you know about New Prague? It seems like large land and nice housing. How about commute?
The commute would be close to an hour depending on where exactly you work in Bloomington. New Prague is a nice town but there isn't much there for shopping, etc. There is a grocery store, a Walgreens and some cute shops downtown but after that you drive to Lakeville/Apple Valley or to Shakopee for everything. The school is good, sports teams are very good, nice close knit smaller town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul