Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 07:39 AM

109 posts, read 281,341 times

Advertisements

I am 17 and will be attending college in either minneapolis, or st. paul. I have lots of family in the area and have spend some time in minnetonka as well as southwest minneapolis. Both schools are downtown, and do not offer dorms/residence hall. If you have any advise on where some good apartments are within 15 minutes from downtown min/sp I would really appreciate it. I am not looking to exceed much more than 550 a month. Just a one bedroom, condition eh. In a safe area. My uncle is on the case but if you know of anything I would appreciate it! Thanks y'all.

I realize that was kind of confusing. I meant there is one college in downtown Minneapolis and one in downtown St. Paul. I am looking for apartments in either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 09:14 AM

134 posts, read 339,044 times
The standard advice would be to look at Craig's list for options, but you are looking for something at the very low end of rental prices. Thinking back to my college days, I never could have afforded an apartment on my own (especially when you factor in utilties), nor would have I wanted to live by myself. Have you thought about trying to find one or two roommates? Or living with a relative temporarily until you make friends who would become roommates?

Old 09-25-2010, 01:26 PM

540 posts, read 1,098,154 times
You're probably not going to be able to find a decent (as in clean and safe) 1 bedroom apartment for $550 or under in the core areas of either city. That's even pushing it for a studio. You should also keep in mind that most buildings will pay for gas, water, and trash, but you're going to have to pay for electric and extras like cable and internet, so you might have to tack on an extra $100 or so per month.

I just moved form the Loring Park area and you could get a decent studio apartment for around $500-$550 (base rent) depending on the building. You could walk to downtown Minneapolis from there and it would be a short drive or bus ride to downtown St Paul.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:16 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,758,141 times
I agree --- consider the studio option. You'll have far more options in your price range with a studio (although it's still going to be tight). Otherwise get a roommate. Loring Park is very near many of the downtown schools (MCTC/Metro State, plus some others, I think) and, as mentioned, you could get a studio in your price range and walk to school.

I think the roommate option is probably the best, though, although perhaps I'm biased because I never knew any entering students who had their own places -- that's a big luxury, financially-speaking, plus it's often nice to have a roommate, at least for a couple of years, while you're just starting out.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
Have you considered other school options that would have dorm living?

Old 09-26-2010, 03:37 PM

24 posts, read 45,378 times
When are you moving? we could be room-mates if your cool..

But serius, 550 is stretching it, dorm-rooms are the best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul