Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 04:43 PM

812 posts, read 2,188,140 times

Advertisements

Robbinsdale off of France, Crystal, areas of Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center.

The area round Brooklyn center that I like is off of France Avenue south of Bass Lake and around Twin Lake. I would not live around the Brookdale area.

Brooklyn Park I like the area east of 252.

I drive around local neighborhoods a lot and all of those are very nice. My main concern about buying in Brooklyn Center is the reputation does affect the property value and resale ability but there are some nice neighborhoods there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 05:56 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,958,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
haha yeah this sums it up. Its sketchy if you lived your entire life in Hastings.
Perhaps you didn't read my post...

Old 07-31-2010, 06:02 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,797,630 times
No, I did.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:28 AM

5 posts, read 16,031 times
hey all!, thanks for the replies. I am looking for a place to rent. Could be an apartment too. My definition of 'good' is a place with lower crime rate, some decent restaurants to eat, and i am 28, so would like to have people of my age. I have briefly stayed in Brooklyn park, and see that the average age here is pretty high, hardly see people of my age. And ya, it would help to have a good gym close by, preferably LA fitness. That pretty much sums up my definition of good.

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Do you want city or suburbs? Are you looking to rent or buy? What do you want in a neighborhood? There are plenty of areas that are nice very close to your workplace, but it'd help to know what type of area you are looking for.
hey all!, thanks for the replies. I am looking for a place to rent. Could be an apartment too. My definition of 'good' is a place with lower crime rate, some decent restaurants to eat, and i am 28, so would like to have people of my age. I have briefly stayed in Brooklyn park, and see that the average age here is pretty high, hardly see people of my age. And ya, it would help to have a good gym close by, preferably LA fitness. That pretty much sums up my definition of good.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:55 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,883,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
My wife's family is from Shaker Heights, OH, which is right next to the dreaded east side of Cleveland, and when visitng Brooklyn Center/Park to go to Applebee's she thought the area was "sketchy" and I promise you they live near some ROUGH areas in the Cleveland area! I found that a little surprising considering where they live but I guess it's a little sketchier to those who are unfamiliar with the area than one might have originally thought!
That is interesting- I've never been there, but I do have some personal knowledge of Shaker Heights, OH, and if memory serves it seems to have a 'rep' of being a nicer, mid to upscale area of Cleveland- notable also for having a significant amount of diversity/integration (maybe not quite as much as B.C., but I would think close to it). I see what you're saying about being surprised by this, though- we had a friend who has lived the majority of the past decade in some rougher areas of Newark, NJ (a rougher city in general), and he was a little surprised when driving through B.C. and seemed to imply he felt it was more run-down looking than the other areas we had been through that have infamous 'reps' in Mpls...but I think this was more-so from seeing the massive amounts of vacant, empty commercial space throughout the Brookdale area than anything else (had we gone through B.C.'s neighborhoods, he would have saw it looks just like any other regular blue-collar midwestern suburb)- my friend's also originally from MN, so it's possible he had put his MN goggles back on!

Old 07-31-2010, 09:29 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,883,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khanbuzzz View Post
Hey khanbuzz,

In that case, and esp. if you're looking to rent a house- check out the Victory Neighborhood of Minneapolis. It's a lot easier to find a house to rent here nowadays- in the past couple of years a number of local homeowners have become 'accidental landlords' due to having either bought the low-ball priced foreclosure next door to them or relocated and not wanting to put their home up for sale in this market.

There are handful of great restaruants/eateries here- these all are in and around the business node areas of 44th/Penn and 42nd/Thomas Aves North. 44th/Penn has Victory 44 (named Best Neighborhood Restaurant by City Pages this year, and a local foodie favorite in Mpls), Steamworks Coffee (also named 'best coffee' by city pages in the early '00s I believe, and just a cool place in general), and Emily's F & M Cafe- a great/cheap old-school family-owned breakfast and lunch spot. On 42nd/Thomas- there's Papa's Restaurant & Deli- also the recipient of a number of foodie blog accolades (I know being named 'best cheesesteak' in the metro area was one of them, this article wasn't as favorable as most but is pretty recent: www.twincitiespizzablog.com). Other nice things about this area- low-crime/very safe, lots of green space (Victory Memorial Parkway, Ryan Lake, Victory Prairie/Dog Park, Victory Park, easy to get to plenty of other green spaces on the Grand Rounds system and in Robbinsdale).

You'll find that you're about the same age as the majority of new folks that have moved to the neighborhood in recent years- I think Victory has recently hit the tipping point of its older residents going off to retirement and nursing homes and younger 20/early 30-something residents moving in- on my block there's probably a dozen households where the owners are in their 20s/early 30s which I think has become a lot more common- many young families, couples, and singles here, and it's really easy to meet people here through block clubs, neighborhood events/activities, and just going for walks or being out in the yard- there's definitely a very friendly vibe here.

Lastly- we're right across the bridge (Brooklyn Blvd/Osseo Road) from Brooklyn Center- I've been to your building a few times, and you could have a relatively easy bike ride or jog to get to work from just about anywhere in the neighborhood if you wanted to, and I can't imagine it would ever take you more than 5 minutes to get to work via car or bus. Direct Message me if you have questions about a street or set of blocks (whether in this neighborhood or surrounding area) or if you want me to keep my eyes/ears out for home rentals.

***Edit/Addition: I should mention that although this neighborhood is in the city proper, it's pretty residential here- if you are looking for a more dense, urban feel with a lot of nightlife options- then you may want to look more towards Uptown, Downtown, or parts of NE that have been built up closer to Downtown. Actually, a lot of Northeast- although a little harder to get to nowadays from B.C. with so many bridges out right now, might have a little bit more of a young single vibe (despite also being fairly residential) than you'll find up here, as well as potentially have some more nightlife/restaurant options but would still be a relatively easy commute for you (it's also an easy drive from here).

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 07-31-2010 at 10:28 AM..

Old 07-31-2010, 04:50 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,958,166 times
Quote:
That is interesting- I've never been there, but I do have some personal knowledge of Shaker Heights, OH, and if memory serves it seems to have a 'rep' of being a nicer, mid to upscale area of Cleveland- notable also for having a significant amount of diversity/integration (maybe not quite as much as B.C., but I would think close to it). I see what you're saying about being surprised by this, though- we had a friend who has lived the majority of the past decade in some rougher areas of Newark, NJ (a rougher city in general), and he was a little surprised when driving through B.C. and seemed to imply he felt it was more run-down looking than the other areas we had been through that have infamous 'reps' in Mpls...but I think this was more-so from seeing the massive amounts of vacant, empty commercial space throughout the Brookdale area than anything else (had we gone through B.C.'s neighborhoods, he would have saw it looks just like any other regular blue-collar midwestern suburb)- my friend's also originally from MN, so it's possible he had put his MN goggles back on!
Shaker is pretty segregated, but it's mostly a very nice suburb like Edina, but you cross a railroad or a street and it's relatively poor, and then it borders a very poor area of Cleveland. I have spent some time there so I can say from personal experience that it's close to some very rough neighborhoods, but it definitely also has a chic or white collar demographic as well. It's a different kind of town than Minneapolis, let's just say that.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:03 PM

812 posts, read 2,188,140 times
Robbinsdale does have some younger people, I've had some single neighbors, but you will find more families/couples than singles. I find many singles that move here to do because it's close to downtown and active friendly. St. Louis Park may be a good fit in some of the complexes off of 100.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Hey khanbuzz,

In that case, and esp. if you're looking to rent a house- check out the Victory Neighborhood of Minneapolis. It's a lot easier to find a house to rent here nowadays- in the past couple of years a number of local homeowners have become 'accidental landlords' due to having either bought the low-ball priced foreclosure next door to them or relocated and not wanting to put their home up for sale in this market.

There are handful of great restaruants/eateries here- these all are in and around the business node areas of 44th/Penn and 42nd/Thomas Aves North. 44th/Penn has Victory 44 (named Best Neighborhood Restaurant by City Pages this year, and a local foodie favorite in Mpls), Steamworks Coffee (also named 'best coffee' by city pages in the early '00s I believe, and just a cool place in general), and Emily's F & M Cafe- a great/cheap old-school family-owned breakfast and lunch spot. On 42nd/Thomas- there's Papa's Restaurant & Deli- also the recipient of a number of foodie blog accolades (I know being named 'best cheesesteak' in the metro area was one of them, this article wasn't as favorable as most but is pretty recent: www.twincitiespizzablog.com). Other nice things about this area- low-crime/very safe, lots of green space (Victory Memorial Parkway, Ryan Lake, Victory Prairie/Dog Park, Victory Park, easy to get to plenty of other green spaces on the Grand Rounds system and in Robbinsdale).

You'll find that you're about the same age as the majority of new folks that have moved to the neighborhood in recent years- I think Victory has recently hit the tipping point of its older residents going off to retirement and nursing homes and younger 20/early 30-something residents moving in- on my block there's probably a dozen households where the owners are in their 20s/early 30s which I think has become a lot more common- many young families, couples, and singles here, and it's really easy to meet people here through block clubs, neighborhood events/activities, and just going for walks or being out in the yard- there's definitely a very friendly vibe here.

Lastly- we're right across the bridge (Brooklyn Blvd/Osseo Road) from Brooklyn Center- I've been to your building a few times, and you could have a relatively easy bike ride or jog to get to work from just about anywhere in the neighborhood if you wanted to, and I can't imagine it would ever take you more than 5 minutes to get to work via car or bus. Direct Message me if you have questions about a street or set of blocks (whether in this neighborhood or surrounding area) or if you want me to keep my eyes/ears out for home rentals.

***Edit/Addition: I should mention that although this neighborhood is in the city proper, it's pretty residential here- if you are looking for a more dense, urban feel with a lot of nightlife options- then you may want to look more towards Uptown, Downtown, or parts of NE that have been built up closer to Downtown. Actually, a lot of Northeast- although a little harder to get to nowadays from B.C. with so many bridges out right now, might have a little bit more of a young single vibe (despite also being fairly residential) than you'll find up here, as well as potentially have some more nightlife/restaurant options but would still be a relatively easy commute for you (it's also an easy drive from here).
Thanks a ton!, camdennortsider! That was very helpful! I will check out the victory neighborhood that you mentioned, and would let you know if i need any more info. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul