Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 12,075 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is relocating to Milwaukee and wants live near the city but has to work in Peewaukee. Is there any good, safe areas to live between these two places?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 12:29 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times
Any Milwaukee suburb is very safe and in Waukesha county all the suburbs are suburbs that are well off or upscale. The west side of Milwaukee is safe west of 50th street other wise West Allis, Wauwatosa, Brookfield, West Milwaukee, Elm Grove New Berlin Pewaukee itself are all nice suburbs. If he is looking for an urban setting then I recommend anything west of hwy 41 aka Washington Heights neighborhood that's in the city and north of I94. Wauwatosa is a very nice urban suburb with a lot of tree lined streets and a very nice quaint downtown and has a lot of shopping and dinning choices. Brookfield is very nice but more expensive. New Berlin is nice also but it is cheaper that Brookfield. Elm Grove is very expensive but is very nice as well.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:48 PM

93 posts, read 305,637 times
I'm am not trying to be negative, but I wouldn't consider West Allis a "nice" suburb. It has a negative reputation that is warranted and your boyfriend will get a lot of negative reactions from people if he decides to live there.

"Stallis" has numerous entries in the Urban Dictionary. While anyone can write these, it shows what kind of reputation it has. Not many cities the size of West Allis can claim 13 entries into the Urban Dictionary. Read for entertainment and education into its reputation -

Urban Dictionary: stallis

Once again, I am not trying to offend anyone. Just trying to enlighten someone who knows nothing about the suburbs of Milwaukee.

If your boyfriend is young and looking for nightlife, I'd say live in the city. A lot of the city is safe enough. Wauwatosa is probably the nicest, hip suburb for young professionals and it is a little closer to Pewaukee. The other suburbs mentioned have a more suburban, "older crowd" feel to them.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:56 PM

196 posts, read 473,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacscott77 View Post
I'm am not trying to be negative, but I wouldn't consider West Allis a "nice" suburb. It has a negative reputation that is warranted and your boyfriend will get a lot of negative reactions from people if he decides to live there.

"Stallis" has numerous entries in the Urban Dictionary. While anyone can write these, it shows what kind of reputation it has. Not many cities the size of West Allis can claim 13 entries into the Urban Dictionary. Read for entertainment and education into its reputation -

Once again, I am not trying to offend anyone. Just trying to enlighten someone who knows nothing about the suburbs of Milwaukee.

If your boyfriend is young and looking for nightlife, I'd say live in the city. A lot of the city is safe enough. Wauwatosa is probably the nicest, hip suburb for young professionals and it is a little closer to Pewaukee. The other suburbs mentioned have a more suburban, "older crowd" feel to them.

please please please PLEASe please for the love of god please don't go by anything in the perverted, messed up, wrong & offensive on so many levels Urban Dictionary. For christ sakes! Anyways, I would go with Milwaukee City's answer for this question!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:45 AM

711 posts, read 1,688,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacscott77 View Post

This is exactly right, West Allis or Stallis or Dirty Stallis has a strong reputation.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:07 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,529,408 times
I have to suggest that the City of Waukesha should be considered. It's an urban setting and has gone through some nice up-grades. It's a walkable city setting without being too far from Pewaukee.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:01 PM

6 posts, read 28,338 times
West Allis is just more blue-collar but there are some pretty streets and homes there too. Many people here are biased against it and it is considered unfashionable by some. Depends how much you care what people think.

As for Wauwatosa: Well, people who live there seem to think it's the greatest. There are lots of older but well kept homes and a fair amount of shopping, etc. It is actually really close to the dreaded West Allis. Both are nearer to Milwaukee than Brookfield, Delafield, Elm Grove, Pewaukee, & Waukesha.

Brookfield, Delafield and Elm Grove are considered a little more expensive and "upscale". Waukesha and Pewaukee are a mix.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:55 AM

136 posts, read 423,999 times
Give menomonee falls a try along with pewaukee !

Old 03-20-2010, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 11,553 times
Both Pewaukees are very safe-The Village of Pewaukee is more residential, while the city of Pewaukee contains most of the industry.

The Shopping area is Located along Capital Dr. which runs thru both the City and the Village and contains stores such as Wal Mart, Menards, Staples etc. With a Costco scheduled to open in the fall of 2010.

The City of Waukesha on the other hand has a much bigger Downtown area that is experiencing a resurgence of sorts.

It contains Coffeeshops Art Galleries, Banks, and many apartments and Restaurants.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:33 AM

136 posts, read 423,999 times
Live in Pewaukee or the Falls as they are both safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee