Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,360 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Milwaukee area, job is in West Allis, from Virginia Beach, VA. Our entire family is in Madison so we want to stay as close as possible to 94 so it's a quick drive for weekend visits.

It will be my husband and I and our 2 year old son. We currently live in the downtown area of Virginia Beach and would like to stay away from the city as much as possible while still having a high end place! We are looking to rent for now until we learn more about the area.

Any suggestions for apartment complexes? I have searched online for over a week and haven't found anything that makes sense for us. Most of the complexes look old and run down or right in the downtown Milwaukee area.

Please help!! Thank you so much!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 02:00 PM

4,363 posts, read 6,543,503 times
Mountain Village - Apartments, Rental, Rent, Waukesha, Wisconsin Waukesha - about five minutes from I 94.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:58 AM

25 posts, read 41,965 times
Don't know if you are up for living a little more west of West Allis, but my parents relocated recently to WI and they rented a place for a year in Waukesha (a new high end condo) before finding a home. This also puts you closer to Madison...45-50 min drive.
I don't remember the name of the condo, but it was right off Silvernail and University Dr in Waukesha/Pewaukee (right off 94 too) you can't miss it. They are really up for sale, but you can talk to management about leasing as they are having a hard time selling all the units.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,709,653 times
Here is the deal:

* I-94 nearby
* High End
* Suburban

Pick any two of the above.

Coming from Virginia Beach, which (IMO) is an overrated dump, you will likely be used to a general lack of sophistication. Given that, you might be happy just about anywhere, and I don't mean that in a negative sense. (I lived out there, it's just an overbuilt, overrated beachfront community, like every other beachfront city in the Mid Atlantic states.)

If living near I-94 (and not in the city) so you can get to grandma's house fast on the weekends, is your primary objective, then it's probably wise to look in Brookfield, unless you really just don't care about where you live. Waukesha is not high end, so IMO, it's impossible to put a "high end" apartment in the middle of it, same goes for New Berlin or the other I-94 corridor areas. Brookfield is very nice, although you won't find the overall finishes and high end construction that are available in the new city rentals.

In addition, over the last decade or so, the focus on apartments and condominium living has been in the city. There are a few exceptions, but not that many. The demand for suburban garden style apartments and condos has dwindled.

Keep in mind that I-94 is an old interstate and the growth very close to it, occurred a while ago, so everything is going to be older. There are some newer apartments in the Lake Country, but the more relevant word in "Lake Country", is country. The apartments might be newer but the surrounding area and country people will have a different set of standards than would those in a new structure next to Lake Michigan. I'm sure you know what I mean. I guess it depends on what you want, and what you consider "high end".

Old 12-21-2010, 03:45 AM

131 posts, read 209,411 times
ahem:

Wauwatosa

Thank you, drive through.

What's the price range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychStudent22 View Post
right off Silvernail and University Dr in Waukesha/Pewaukee (right off 94 too) you can't miss it. They are really up for sale, but you can talk to management about leasing as they are having a hard time selling all the units.
That's right near where my parents live, and where I was stuck living for a few years. I wouldn't live in Waukesha again if you paid me. I'm sure glad they ripped out all of those trees to build condos nobody wants, though.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:02 AM

603 posts, read 2,361,467 times
I would caution about finding a community soley based on visits to Grandma's. I think you're limiting yourself if you will only stick to I-94. I get that you want to look out west, but there are many western suburbs to choose from. So you might have to drive an extra 10-15 minutes...I would focus your search on the kind of community where you'd like to raise your child. When the little one hits school, the weekend trips will dwindle down. If you want to be close to Madison, have you checked into Dousman?

Old 03-12-2011, 05:50 PM

42 posts, read 146,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFan5 View Post
We are relocating to the Milwaukee area, job is in West Allis, from Virginia Beach, VA. Our entire family is in Madison so we want to stay as close as possible to 94 so it's a quick drive for weekend visits.

It will be my husband and I and our 2 year old son. We currently live in the downtown area of Virginia Beach and would like to stay away from the city as much as possible while still having a high end place! We are looking to rent for now until we learn more about the area.

Any suggestions for apartment complexes? I have searched online for over a week and haven't found anything that makes sense for us. Most of the complexes look old and run down or right in the downtown Milwaukee area.

Please help!! Thank you so much!!!!
Brookfield is a nice area. Low taxes, very good schools, very safe. Just off I94 - straight shot to Madison. I'm about 12 minutes away from West Allis.

If you're looking for a house rental let me know. My wife and I are thinking of moving to Arizona and considering putting our home up for rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee