Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:24 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
No doubting that.

explain in more detail please.

I wouldn't say HUGE. You know how I can trump your argument about not buying in Mfalls because of the type of people that live on the Far Northwest side, Well I'll tell you how.

A: River Hills is the wealthiest city in Wisconsin by Far, it is located right next to Brown Deer and only 4 miles away from 27th and Teutonia.Ave which by most accounts is far worse than anywhere on Milwaukee's Northwest side. Now River Hills doesn't have any problem even being with 10 miles of the worst part of the city aka Metcalf Park aka Ghost Town. Now let's turn our attention to Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, Fox Point, The Upper East Side of Milwaukee all with 5 miles of "a bad area".

Now if River Hills can be the cream of the crop of the state meanwhile being real close to the "hood" and along with Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, Fox Point all have very high resale values and majority of the homes on Milwaukee's North Shore sell for over 300,000! River Hills the median income in River Hills is 182,000 for a family. Now how come these cities are doing just fine while being so close to the rough part of Milwaukee? If all these upscale high end suburbs can manage more than being just fine I'm sure little ole Menomonee Falls is just fine being close to Milwaukee.
I have to take exception to this apples to oranges comparison. The North Shore is almost impenetrable because of what you've just stated--almost everything in the North Shore is expensive.

Sure, you can buy an expensive house in Menomonee Falls or on the Northwest side. The thing about River Hills is, the homes are almost without exception, extremely expensive, whereas the home values in MF and on the NW side of Milwaukee, are much more mixed (skewed toward the low end). The comparison between these two communities is all but irrelevant. You are comparing River Hills to a community that is 6x the size, with 1/3 the median household income, over 3x the density, and an almost inverse home price distribution.

There are massive differences between:

Median home price distribution (especially upper/lower quartiles)
Educational attainment
Number of renters and rentals
Density of homes (and population)
Median household income

Furthermore, River Hills is 100% zoned for single family, and of the residential lots in the village, 85% of those are >= 5 acres. Thirteen percent of the properties are 2 acre parcels, and 2% are 2 acre parcels.

Menomonee Falls is 33 square miles, while River Hills is five and a half.

River Hills shares a total of about 1/10th of a mile with the City of Milwaukee border, all of which is Brown Deer Park. The remaining few miles of border are shared with high end suburbs of Mequon, Fox Point, and Bayside, a nice suburb (Glendale), and an OK suburb (Brown Deer). With the exception of a few blocks worth of hwy 57 and Brown Deer Rd. intersection, the suburban border of Brown Deer, is also buffered by the Milwaukee River. So it's not like River Hills has exposure to anything, and its zoning and property sizes (zero percent commercial, zero percent multifamily, 5+ acres, extremely expensive) are highly resistant to adjustment in any downward direction. The same goes for anything east of River Hills, because of the proximity to Lake Michigan. Lake shore properties have historically been resistant to downward mobility. Since I also grew up there I can tell you unequivocally, that there is no comparison between River Hills and anything in the near western suburbs. Chenequa might be the next closest available comparison to River Hills, although the median income is somewhat lower.

Menomonee Falls, on the other hand, isn't comparable. The median home prices are on the lower end of the chart. There is some low end retail and other "ok" commercial. I'm not saying it's a bad place, I'm just saying that I don't understand how this comparison is being drawn to River Hills in the first place. Different place, different values, different people, different location, different demographics, economics, different schools, different everything. It's a similar comparison drawn in the story I read on this forum, of the guy who bought "the same home in Cudahy for a third of the price of Fox Point". The same square footage, perhaps... and that's where the similarity ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 09:38 AM

138 posts, read 512,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
No doubting that.

explain in more detail please.

I wouldn't say HUGE. You know how I can trump your argument about not buying in Mfalls because of the type of people that live on the Far Northwest side, Well I'll tell you how.

A: River Hills is the wealthiest city in Wisconsin by Far, it is located right next to Brown Deer and only 4 miles away from 27th and Teutonia.Ave which by most accounts is far worse than anywhere on Milwaukee's Northwest side. Now River Hills doesn't have any problem even being with 10 miles of the worst part of the city aka Metcalf Park aka Ghost Town. Now let's turn our attention to Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, Fox Point, The Upper East Side of Milwaukee all with 5 miles of "a bad area".

Now if River Hills can be the cream of the crop of the state meanwhile being real close to the "hood" and along with Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, Fox Point all have very high resale values and majority of the homes on Milwaukee's North Shore sell for over 300,000! River Hills the median income in River Hills is 182,000 for a family. Now how come these cities are doing just fine while being so close to the rough part of Milwaukee? If all these upscale high end suburbs can manage more than being just fine I'm sure little ole Menomonee Falls is just fine being close to Milwaukee.
Hmmm....I stand corrected...and you make a very good, compelling arguement...that I can't help but agree with. Not bad...for a Southsider...I mean this in an endearing and kidding way...I enjoy you!
However, I'm still going to have to stand by my assertions to a small degree...and at the same time, tell you what I'm really talking about, what the root of my original statements are; as if no one really does'nt know.
Milwaukee, I believe, is still very prejudice. Brown Deer use to be the place where blacks with money would live, now, it has become Menomonee Falls, only more upscale. I believe some home buyers have underlying reasons for staying away from MF...and I believe this is the reason.
I also believe, this will, if it does not already, affect realestate prices/desirability etc. Of course this is not on the surface, but underlying, but nonetheless...present.
Remember, I live in MF...I grew up here, I think it is, without doubt, one of our finer suburbs, and will continue to grow and become even more upscale, but I believe because of the above, G-town will ultimately be a better value and investment because of its lack of diversity.
Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not prejudice; I have black neices and nephews...so it does'nt matter to me. However, I believe much of Milwaukee is still somewhat prejudice, and many recent statistic will prove this.

Last edited by 2HHI; 08-29-2009 at 09:52 AM..

Old 08-29-2009, 11:56 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HHI View Post
Hmmm....I stand corrected...and you make a very good, compelling arguement...that I can't help but agree with. Not bad...for a Southsider...I mean this in an endearing and kidding way...I enjoy you!
However, I'm still going to have to stand by my assertions to a small degree...and at the same time, tell you what I'm really talking about, what the root of my original statements are; as if no one really does'nt know.
Milwaukee, I believe, is still very prejudice. Brown Deer use to be the place where blacks with money would live, now, it has become Menomonee Falls, only more upscale. I believe some home buyers have underlying reasons for staying away from MF...and I believe this is the reason.
I also believe, this will, if it does not already, affect realestate prices/desirability etc. Of course this is not on the surface, but underlying, but nonetheless...present.
Remember, I live in MF...I grew up here, I think it is, without doubt, one of our finer suburbs, and will continue to grow and become even more upscale, but I believe because of the above, G-town will ultimately be a better value and investment because of its lack of diversity.
Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not prejudice; I have black neices and nephews...so it does'nt matter to me. However, I believe much of Milwaukee is still somewhat prejudice, and many recent statistic will prove this.
I see your logic, but I didn't realize there is a demographic shift going on in the Falls. I live on the East side and I'm removed a bit from the happenings in the Falls. To what degree is this happening?

Old 08-30-2009, 11:34 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Besides let's no forget WW2...Menomonee Falls!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee