Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,900 times

Advertisements

I am a graduate student, and needed to request a leave of absence for the rest of the school year. Since my student loans were stopped at that point, I needed to break my lease that officially ends in June 2009. Under our lease agreements, I am responsible for the rent until a new tenant is found. I have done everything in my power to find a tenant, and have forwarded several people to my landlord, but no one has agreed to take the place yet. Since I have no cash at this point and no job, I have tried to reach some sort of compromise, but she does not want to mediate.

The apartment is clean, vacated for the next renter. She's requested I pay the rent for the month of February, and surrender the keys, which does not make sense to me.

I do not know how to work with someone who has no intentions of cooperating with me. She has no incentive to find a new tenant if I borrow money from family/friends in order to continue paying rent until the official end of my lease in June.

What are the repercussions of breaking a lease and forfeiting the security deposit which is equivalent to one month's rent? What procedures must she go through if she decides to negatively impact my credit rating?

Thank you for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 12:16 PM

199 posts, read 528,281 times
You cannot break the lease, you are responsible for the rent untill the landlord rents the unit or your lease runs out. But the landlord must advertise and attempt to find a suitable tenant. This may go on your credit rating, but what are you going to do? Just leave her the security deposit and move out.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:17 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Yes, the landlord MUST make a good attempt to find another renter. She has to advertise, I believe it is an actual law but I'm not sure on that. It's good that you've made an effort on your part, however she has to as well. I would contact the Department of Neighborhood Services & see what they have to say.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:41 AM

1,085 posts, read 3,566,438 times
As a one time landlord in Milwaukee I found it extremely hard to collect from broken leases.

Most of the time it was not worth the hassle or expense to try collecting it. You can't get blood out of a turnip and how would it have help me to ruin someone's credit rating? I always tried to rent the flat or apartment out as soon as possible and usually rented it out before the security deposit was used up.

It's too bad your landlord will not work with you. See if you can find a Tenants association, if I remember correctly there used to be one in Milwaukee.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:15 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,618 times
try this: //forum.freeadvice.com

Old 08-17-2010, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,685 times
the landlord doesn't want to fix anything that goes wrong with the apartment the furnacle don't work,the roof leaks and she raise the rent because of the water bills she thinks is too high what can I do.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 PM

13 posts, read 40,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellemos16 View Post
the landlord doesn't want to fix anything that goes wrong with the apartment the furnacle don't work,the roof leaks and she raise the rent because of the water bills she thinks is too high what can I do.
It may difficult to get the landlord because nothing is fixed, depending on what it is. However, certain standards have to be met: E.g. a minimum temp of 67 or 68 degrees. It has to be safe and generally habitable. E.g. running water, electricity, etc.
If you think certain things are too much and the standrd of living is too low, you can complain to the city. They may come and check it out, tell the LL to fix and/or fine her.
Check the following link out for a start, but you probably have to do furthe rresearch to find the correct places to contact:
Tenants' Rights and Responsibilities - Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection

Raising the rent: if you are on a month to month lease, she can do that with a 30 day noticed (or whatever notice is set in the lease). If 12 months, for example, it can't be raised before the lease is being renewed.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:25 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeinForest View Post
I am a graduate student, and needed to request a leave of absence for the rest of the school year. Since my student loans were stopped at that point, I needed to break my lease that officially ends in June 2009. Under our lease agreements, I am responsible for the rent until a new tenant is found. I have done everything in my power to find a tenant, and have forwarded several people to my landlord, but no one has agreed to take the place yet. Since I have no cash at this point and no job, I have tried to reach some sort of compromise, but she does not want to mediate.

The apartment is clean, vacated for the next renter. She's requested I pay the rent for the month of February, and surrender the keys, which does not make sense to me.

I do not know how to work with someone who has no intentions of cooperating with me. She has no incentive to find a new tenant if I borrow money from family/friends in order to continue paying rent until the official end of my lease in June.

What are the repercussions of breaking a lease and forfeiting the security deposit which is equivalent to one month's rent? What procedures must she go through if she decides to negatively impact my credit rating?

Thank you for your advice!
If you break the lease agreement, your landlord could place a strike on your credit report, which will in turn lower your credit score, ouch!
Keep trying to negotiate, don't give up.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:27 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellemos16 View Post
Tenants' Rights and Responsibilities - Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: