Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:50 PM

9 posts, read 41,869 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I may be relocating to the Milwaukee area. We are an African American family of four (including two teenage daughters). If the relocation occurs, we would like to find a 3 to 4 bedroom home in a nice/safe community, with good schools and diversity. In addition, we would like to be within 15-20 miles from downtown (30-45 min drive in traffic). I have read on other threads that Milwaukee is VERY segregated and not very welcoming to new-comers (very sad, if true), but I would like to hear more about the area and find out if these opinions over-stated (I'm sure there are some redeeming factors about Milwaukee). I will make about $65-$70k per year and my wife should make $40-$50k per year. We would like to rent for the first year and prefer to keep our rent around $1800 per month. I look forward to your comments. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 09:45 PM

26 posts, read 87,467 times
Hello,

Unfortunately, Wisconsin is the most segregated state in the country. I'm planning on moving as soon as my home sells.

There are some nice, diverse areas close to downtown. You could live in Shorewood. It's close the UWM and not too far from downtown. Another good area is Whitefish Bay. It's not very diverse, but I don't believe you will have any problems. It's a very good area with very good schools. You may also want to consider Bayside. Bayside isn't diverse, but it has good schools.

I wish I could offer you more, but Wisconsin is very segregated.

Good Luck.

Dawn

Old 04-17-2011, 05:18 PM

Thank you, Dawn. Do you know what a nice 4 BR home would rent for in those areas? I would like to stay around $1800 or less (if possible).

Old 04-17-2011, 07:57 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,868,643 times
African Americans haven't made the mass migration to some of the suburbs, but the city itself is very diverse. A few suburbs seem to have a fair amount of diversity. I think the segregation accusations are exaggerated a bit, but that's not to say it doesn't exist to an extent. In comparison to the several other places I've lived, it doesn't seem any different at all in that regard.

As far as not being welcoming to new-comers, I've found the opposite to be true. The majority of people I've encountered have been friendly, polite, and neighborly... some to a greater degree than others.

Of course, some born and bred locals (which there are a lot of here) can be more jaded towards their city.
Everybody has different tastes, but I personally don't plan on leaving anytime soon.

Oh yeah, 1800 or less should be no problem.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:53 PM

545 posts, read 1,486,587 times
Check out Glendale. It's a bit cheaper and more diverse than Whitefish Bay and has an excellent high school (Nicolet). Bayside and Fox Point also go to Nicolet, but are both bedroom communities for the most part and probably won't have many rentals. They're both less diverse than Glendale. Shorewood is a good option, but more expensive and more urban/busy. Good schools though. One thing to consider - if you don't have off street parking, it's a real pain to own a car in Shorewood. Otherwise, I would say Wauwatosa would be another good option for you west of downtown. Again, relatively diverse and it has good schools (not quite as good as Nicolet, but still good).

As far as segregation, I think it's overblown as well. Are there neighborhoods in the city that are predominantly one nationality or background? Sure. But that's the way it is in alot of cities. I think you'll find that most people are friendly and accepting. There is alot of culture in the area: german, polish, hispanic, african american, irish. All of them in one place make Milwaukee an interesting place to live.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and maybe I can help out. Good luck!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:00 AM

448 posts, read 1,821,620 times
The diverse areas in the city are Washington Highlands, Concordia, Brewer's Hill, and Riverwest. Those are all reasonably priced areas especially in this market. Contrary to conservative opinion you can find many good schools within MPS and there are many good private schools if you hate public schools. The city of Milwaukee is a more diverse place than the suburbs. In fact the reason why the statistics say Milwaukee is segregated is because the suburbs skew the numbers. Milwaukee alone would not be considered the most segregated city.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:32 PM

Northbound74, Brian571, and Nuclear Art, I truly appreciate your help. If the relocation happens, I will certainly consider all the good advice you have provided.

So, is the entire city of Shorewood without off-street parking...as in NO GARAGE or even driveway?? I don't think I would be too comfortable leaving my cars parked on the street.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:34 AM

448 posts, read 1,821,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX587 View Post
Northbound74, Brian571, and Nuclear Art, I truly appreciate your help. If the relocation happens, I will certainly consider all the good advice you have provided.

So, is the entire city of Shorewood without off-street parking...as in NO GARAGE or even driveway?? I don't think I would be too comfortable leaving my cars parked on the street.
Shorewood has plenty of off street parking. Most houses have garages and driveways. Apartments have off street parking but it is a safe city so I doubt you have to worry about getting your car stolen.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:20 PM

545 posts, read 1,486,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
Shorewood has plenty of off street parking. Most houses have garages and driveways. Apartments have off street parking but it is a safe city so I doubt you have to worry about getting your car stolen.
I don't know if I'd say most houses have driveways and garages - there's a pretty good percentage that don't. What I meant to say wasn't that I'd worry about my car being stolen or broken into (I wouldn't - it's a pretty safe town), it's that dealing with the village's parking regulations is a pain. With a few exceptions, Shorewood doesn't permit on street overnight parking during the week. You have to park your car in a public lot (if there's even an opening), for $45 a month and have it out of the lot by 7 or 8 in the morning. Your alternative is to go to the police station and buy a daily permit every day. I actually know someone that does that. Bottom line: make sure off street parking is available if you're looking at a place in Shorewood.

Last edited by brian571; 04-19-2011 at 06:52 PM..

Old 04-24-2011, 07:14 PM

All the posts will certainly be a tremendous help if the move occurs. Are there any areas I should avoid (specifically in terms of schools)?? Also, can anyone tell me about East Side? My search of rental homes appear to turn up with a few reasonably priced rental homes in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee