Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I join the Navy???
Yes, its awesome! 41 80.39%
No, you'll hate it 10 19.61%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:11 PM

33 posts, read 259,535 times

Advertisements

Hi guys first of all thanks for reading this post
I’m a 28F no kids, unmarried ,high school diploma, 33 college credits -wanting to join the Navy. I thought about the Air Force ,but I’m too old. I thought maybe the Air National Guard, but there’s no guarantee that I will be one of the lucky ones who get active duty. Anyway, now my focus is on the Navy because of the job security and travel. I’ve talked to a recruiter and I’m just about sold, but I want to know your experience. I’m looking at this as a career … the full 20. Please tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly. Living quarters, duty stations, emotional life ect I want to hear it all.

PS I qualify to be a nurse or a linguist both jobs I would enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 04:29 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,911,564 times
The biggest con of the Navy is that you'r eon a boat for long periods of time. In a way, as far as time away from the loved ones, the Navy "deploys" more than any service, just not as many to Iraq or Afghanistan. As such, it's also the number one service for travel.

Also, doing the nurse option, you could very well end up as an Fleet Marine Force (FMF) Corpsman. Nothing wrong with that, just realize there's a possibility you'll be serving with Marines on a Marine installation, vice serving with the Navy.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:43 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,917,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCBPride View Post
PS I qualify to be a nurse or a linguist both jobs I would enjoy.
You mean corpsman right? (please don't let the recruiter tell you you are going to be a nurse - you won't be a licensed nurse although you will be doing some similar duties to a LPN).

anyway - the Navy seems to have bases/air stations in some great locations (esp when you compare it to the Army post locations), former Navy people seem to have enjoyed their time in the Navy, and I have heard many people consider it 2nd to the AF in quality of life.

Cons would be a lot of time on the ship if you are assigned to one.

I am sure Navy people will have more to add. I am an AF spouse and have had a little bit of contact with Navy but not much.

We are AF but lived for 3.5 yrs on the now closed Keflavik NAS. Gem of an assignment.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:02 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,042,429 times
Either field would be good but if you have the desire and appitude for it I would lean towards the linguist. I believe all services go to school for about a year at the Persidio in Calf. The length depends on the lanauge.

I did 30 in the Army and it was great.

Go for it if you can give it your all and be the best you can be.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 AM

6,471 posts, read 9,852,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
You mean corpsman right? (please don't let the recruiter tell you you are going to be a nurse - you won't be a licensed nurse although you will be doing some similar duties to a LPN).

The navy has a Nursing program where she will be a Navy Nurse working in hospitals. It is different than a corpsman.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:21 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,091,646 times
Whatever you think you want to do in the Navy, get it in writing before you sign. The recruiter is a salesman, make no mistake about it. If you're not sure about what you're being told, visit another recruiter who has scrupples.

Check out a program that might pay for you to finish your degree then go in as an officer. The difference is like aristocracy vs. peasantry, not to mention the money. You might get paid while you're in school and get school paid for.

I served four years and was on a small ship, a frigate, out of Norfolk, VA. As long as you don't get home sick (or sea sick) you will be fine. Just don't forget, it's the military. People will yell at you, what you're doing will not make sense, and life will not be fair. I'm thinking about going Coast Guard after I finish my degree. Part of me misses it.

Life in the military is simple and you have to appreciate that. When a ship leaves port there are no cell phones (you will have email, though). As long as you don't have loose ends ashore you may find the sea incredibly peacefull, even cathartic. The travel opportunity was great. I've seen many places. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
The navy has a Nursing program where she will be a Navy Nurse working in hospitals. It is different than a corpsman.
Never heard of that. Is this new? So they are training to be LPNs and take the NCLEX-PN? (I assume LPN because to work as an active duty RN you need a BS and a commission).Could you elaborate/point me to info online? I only ever interacted with either commissioned RNs (or higher like NPs, MSN-RNs) or corpsmen but our hospital was pretty small.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:21 AM

6,471 posts, read 9,852,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Never heard of that. Is this new? So they are training to be LPNs and take the NCLEX-PN? (I assume LPN because to work as an active duty RN you need a BS and a commission).Could you elaborate/point me to info online? I only ever interacted with either commissioned RNs (or higher like NPs, MSN-RNs) or corpsmen but our hospital was pretty small.

It's not new at all, when I was stationed at a navy hospital in 92 they had a full program I think in Pensacola, they are commisioned officers as nurses.

Nurses: Health Care: Careers & Jobs: Navy

Old 01-12-2010, 11:37 AM

I think the op is talking about enlisting though, not doing NROTC or Navy Nurse Candidate. She'd have to get her BSN.

If a recruiter is looking to sign her up as a "nurse" (or linguist) my money is the recruiter means HM and an enlistment, not getting her BSN then a commission.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:07 PM

39 posts, read 313,201 times
I am all for the Navy. I have family and friends that have been in for years and love it, but the Air Force may offer you different options. I know that you're over the age limit, but if you're qualified in everything else you may be able to get a waiver. Just look into all your options and talk to a recruiter from each branch before you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues