Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:18 AM

37,501 posts, read 61,508,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
... Someone even said that there were people convicted over false rape claims. Excuse me? How do you know they are false? Cuz someone told you that? The judge and jury said they were not false, and they are the ones that saw all the evidence and heard all of the testimony...why and how could you know more about the situation then them?
You addressed this at me, so I will respond.

I do not think that I said anything about 'false rape claims'.

The military does not use a 'judge and jury'.

I did however explain:

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Generally in the military the odds of catching the rapist is higher.
Which I think is a good thing.

Quote:
... I was peripherally involved in 3 rape investigations.
So I do know that real rape does happen, and I commented that it does happen.

Quote:
... I am not saying that this type of rape is common. Rather that on 2 different bases, over a period of 6 years in an environment where you have 10,000 service members stationed at any one time, most on 3-year tours [so during each calendar year 1/3 of the servicemembers cycle out and are replaced with fresh bodies] this really is a very small rate-of-incidents.
I do think that as compared to an equivalent civilian population this rate-of-incidents is fairly low.

I do not wish to minimize rape in any manner.

But from what I read, in our society, a very high percentage of females are victimized in some manner.

I think that it happens less in the military.

If you looked at a college campus with 10,000 students, how many rapes would you expect to see per year on average? I think that if you only saw one rape every other year, it would be far below the average of our society.

It would be far lower than 1% of our society's females.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 07:42 PM

543 posts, read 1,000,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
not being a creep or anything but where do u live? lol
I have just been transferred to Pensacola, Florida.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:09 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,047,481 times
Default Army sergeant guilty of sex trafficking in Wash.

What a idiot. He should have know better plus the fbi & police frequent craigslist for illegal activity. http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/art...8391578&afid=1

Old 07-24-2010, 11:06 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,826,554 times
Hospedales was arrested in April, 2009 and charged with sex trafficking. It was alleged at the time that he had lured two teens, both runaway’s, into prostitution. On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 pleaded guilty Seattle’s U.S. District Court.

More info in this article, which also includes a TV video from last year:

Sterling Hospedales: Army Sgt. Pleads Guilty In Child Sex Trafficking Craigslist Case (Video) » Right Juris

Rich

Old 04-20-2011, 03:11 PM

16 posts, read 51,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I knew guys in the Navy who refused to be left alone in a room with a female sailor for fear of a "he said/she said" sexual harassment case. In such cases, the women's word is taken over the man's word.
Yeah I knew of a few cases of he said/she said so I did not date much in myGot close to marriage once but glad I held out, she was a mess - and I later met my wife and she is WONDERFUL.

I could see the military being the target of a conservative religious sermon b/c in the military I met a few people who were very promiscuous and a few that drank way too much, too often. I dealt with a few of them on our ship. We'd leave port and a few married folks would quickly begin a dating relationship with other sailors - married or single. Note this was just a few folks. Their behavior could have easily colored the reputation of us all as hard living, hard playing folks with low moral character.

In reality a military is going to NEED some hard living people who are capable of doing a very tough job. I see no reason to demand that they be too soft or too gentle.

I'm going to encourage my sons to join someday when they are old enough. I'm not certain that I'd encourage a daughter to join. Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned...

Old 04-22-2011, 04:29 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,564,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I'm male and when I drink have yet to have a female take advantage of me
After my divorce I got plastered and a fellow sailor I thought was a friend tried to take advantage of my condition. I wasn't as drunk as he thought I was.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,880 times
As a mother of a female Marine, the story from her is that the two girls she knows who have gotten raped were both hanging out with guys while drunk. Both the girls and the guys used lack of good judgement in getting drunk, particularly the girls as they were ALONE with several men while all getting drunk. I did my fair share of drinking and I know how things go when a girl gets tipsy. Whether she means to or not, the signals to the drunk males are pretty screwed up.
But the violence still belongs with the male. In my opinion, both are at fault for leading to sex, but the males are clearly at fault for raping.
To the point of this thread, however, about females being in the military, it makes no difference whatsoever now that openly homosexual men are allowed to serve.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:14 AM

78,567 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Women Don't Belong in the Military!

I usually hang out in the Religion and Philosophy forum....but I came across this page from a crazy 'Christian' web site. It implies that the number of women in the military that are raped by guys in the military is alarming....I am having a hard time believing it! If any of you know of the stats on this I'd love to know what they are!
Why do you even read crap like that?

The writer of that steaming pile is clearly pushing an agenda, if you spend any time on the internet at all this should signal huge warning bells in your head.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 AM

37,501 posts, read 61,508,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madred View Post
As a mother of a female Marine, the story from her is that the two girls she knows who have gotten raped were both hanging out with guys while drunk. Both the girls and the guys used lack of good judgement in getting drunk, particularly the girls as they were ALONE with several men while all getting drunk. I did my fair share of drinking and I know how things go when a girl gets tipsy. Whether she means to or not, the signals to the drunk males are pretty screwed up.
But the violence still belongs with the male. In my opinion, both are at fault for leading to sex, but the males are clearly at fault for raping.
To the point of this thread, however, about females being in the military, it makes no difference whatsoever now that openly homosexual men are allowed to serve.
A good rule of thumb is for females to only go out partying in groups. When some decide to leave a bar or party, they must all leave. One lone female left at a party with ten guys buying her drinks will commonly lead to, ....

Just a fact of life.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:15 AM

572 posts, read 1,300,619 times
Former female in the military. I haven't seen reported rapes, nor have any of the women I worked with or for reported rapes. The only thing I have seen as far as sexual misconduct is more along the lines of sexual discrimination/harassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues