Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:09 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,798,780 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what kind of pay that I can accept as being in the Air Force Reserves? They say 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year... does that include benefits? I am trying to find out info for a friend who is thinking of joining up. Pros/Cons to doing it as a single mom? Do you get housing assistance or anything like "grant" money per month? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 04:09 PM

24 posts, read 122,141 times
Default The Air Force Reserves

Hey everyone.

I am thinking of joining the AF Reserves (possibly USCG or Navy Reserves as well). I have already talked to an AF Reserves recruit. The recruiters were nice and entertained my questions. But seems like they were hesitant to disclose when one can go to boot camp or more importantly how long technical school is for various jobs.

My big issue is that I want to go to graduate school in the Fall of 2010 so timing for boot camp and technical school is important. As we know tech school can be from 6weeks to maybe about 2yrs. What is the process for getting into the reserves? Is it possible to find out what job/technical school you will do BEFORE you sign a contract to join the Reserves? At what point in the process do you sign a contract? Thanks.

And if anyone was or is in the AF Reserves and want to shed some light on your experiences or certain kinds of jobs do share! Thanks again.

Edit: One more thing. The recruiter made it sound like it is so easy to relocate to a new base if need be. I was worried because what if your job is not available in that location if you need to move there? He said they will somehow get you into working at the base you need to be relocated at. Anyone know if its really that easy?

Last edited by Live&Learn; 07-19-2009 at 04:17 PM..

Old 07-19-2009, 04:23 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,708,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live&Learn View Post
Hey everyone.

I am thinking of joining the AF Reserves (possibly USCG or Navy Reserves as well). I have already talked to an AF Reserves recruit. The recruiters were nice and entertained my questions. But seems like they were hesitant to disclose when one can go to boot camp or more importantly how long technical school is for various jobs.

My big issue is that I want to go to graduate school in the Fall of 2010 so timing for boot camp and technical school is important. As we know tech school can be from 6weeks to maybe about 2yrs. What is the process for getting into the reserves? Is it possible to find out what job/technical school you will do BEFORE you sign a contract to join the Reserves? At what point in the process do you sign a contract? Thanks.

And if anyone was or is in the AF Reserves and want to shed some light on your experiences or certain kinds of jobs do share! Thanks again.
Specific basic date isn't going to happen...All thing that's pretty definite is that plan on it taking months or even a year. With the reserve you get a specific job when you sign the contract unlike an active duty person when generally goes into boot having no clue what job they'll get, until the end. It's based on the specific reserve bases mission. Only other thing I can tell you, things vary widely. This is because state laws, local policies, manning vs workload and management styles vary widely. Point being things are probably going to be vastly different between bases that seem similar.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:27 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,913,600 times
I would have to say it depends on the job. If you do something fairly generic like personnel, finance, services, security police or med tech, those are at pretty much every base.

The more specialized you get, the less likely it will be. Not every aircraft is at every base, and if you are a crew chief for a specific type, or work on the avionics systems of pavehawks, for example, you'd need to be where those are.

For my husband's job, let's see, there are 3(?) reserve units in the entire country, a couple more NG, and I think 5 active duty units. He obviously would have to go where there would be an open slot.

I hope someone else can answer the rest of your questions.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:56 AM

303 posts, read 1,562,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live&Learn View Post

Is it possible to find out what job/technical school you will do BEFORE you sign a contract to join the Reserves? At what point in the process do you sign a contract? Thanks.
You sign the contract a couple of days after you have come back from military entrance processing stations (MEPS). MEPS is where you can take the ASVAB and get your physical done--you don't have to take the asvab at MEPS though.

You'll also have a general idea of what jobs you would qualify for via your recruiter, so that when you get to MEPS, all you have to do is verbally agree to take the job. Always remember, that if they don't have the job that you want then you have no obligation to take any job that they offer you.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:34 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,221,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Specific basic date isn't going to happen...
Unless things have changed in recent years, this is not true. You should be able to get and know a specific date when your boot camp ("basic training") begins and ends. You might (repeat might) also be able to get a "guaranteed job" which means you are guaranteed to go to tech school for a that job type - and if your recruiter can't tell you how long any given school is for a given job, he or she is incomptent and you should try to find someone else - and frankly I'm getting that impression anyway based on your "they are hesitant" remarks. If you pose direct questions you should expect and get direct answers.

Typically schools last a few months give or take, but yes, it varies widely.

What I'm less sure about is if you can know what unit/base you will be assigned to ahead of time. This is important since if it's long dist you'll be required to pay your travel fare each month to that location.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,708,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Unless things have changed in recent years, this is not true. You should be able to get and know a specific date when your boot camp ("basic training") begins and ends. You might (repeat might) also be able to get a "guaranteed job" which means you are guaranteed to go to tech school for a that job type - and if your recruiter can't tell you how long any given school is for a given job, he or she is incomptent and you should try to find someone else - and frankly I'm getting that impression anyway based on your "they are hesitant" remarks. If you pose direct questions you should expect and get direct answers.

Typically schools last a few months give or take, but yes, it varies widely.

What I'm less sure about is if you can know what unit/base you will be assigned to ahead of time. This is important since if it's long dist you'll be required to pay your travel fare each month to that location.
I hacked up my statement; I meant the OP was seemingly requesting to pick a window (fall of '10) to attend basic training. I was saying that they are unable to have any say in when he wants to go.
The OP is wanting reserve which is much different than active duty. He will already have a unit and job before he leaves for basic. I'm pretty sure that he will also return to his unit after basic and will attend tech school at a later time.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:35 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,221,191 times
Got it, thx for clarification.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:08 AM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,668,304 times
I do know as a retrainee in a reserve unit it typically takes about 1 year or so to go to a tech school. Less if you are willing to go on short notice when there is a cancelation, etc. Not sure how it works going straight in to basic. But I do know there have been some young airmen that went to Basic, then came back to their reserve units and waited up to several months to attend their tech school.

With that said, at this point you might be able to swing basic and tech school before Feb 010 but I doubt it. I do know if you pick a job with lots of slots for schools that makes it easier. As there will be more classes and openings, smaller career fields will have less classes and slots so you might have to wait months before being slotted for a tech school. Reserve slots are a low priority and there are usually only a hand full per class and they fill up pretty quick.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:36 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,266,341 times
You mention that you're considering the USNR and USCG reserve... I believe you have to be prior service to join these branches. The Navy Reserve does have a few loopholes for certain skilled trades to join the SeaBee's without prior service and boot camp and EMT's to become Corpsman though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues