Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:10 AM

522 posts, read 1,856,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
You mention that you're considering the USNR and USCG reserve... I believe you have to be prior service to join these branches. The Navy Reserve does have a few loopholes for certain skilled trades to join the SeaBee's without prior service and boot camp and EMT's to become Corpsman though.
I also heard this too, AF maybe a good choice. Reservists usually get a guaranteed job prior to recruit training versus activey duty folks which gets them in a particular field (ie Infantry, engineering, administration, logistics) then a particular MOS while at recruit training.

I know the Marine Corps has this thing called the 96 day reservist which is a program that allows Marines to attend school. For example, a 96 day reservist will go to bootcamp, instead of going on their 10day leave then their follow on schooling (MCT and MOS training) they will go home and go to school. The following summer they will attend MCT/MOS training (depending on MOS training length); if both schools are more than 96 days long then you'll probably do MCT this year, then MOS training the following year.

AF is the way to go, they take good care of you and you can live any where and drill at any AF base (AFB). They have this thing called a Reserve Shuttle which the AFB will fly a route that spans several states on a friday to pick up the reservists then fly that same route on Sunday to drop them off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,284 times
Default Joining the AF Reserves and Have a Few ?s

So I plan on joining the air force reserves after I study alittle bit more for the ASVAB (got a horrible score on practice test). I have a few questions regarding BMT, pay of course and the Air Force paying for education. First is regarding BMT, can anyone kind of shed light on what it's like now? If you have completed BMT within the last two years your opinions on it would be greatly appreciated. Also what kind of things do we take with us to Lackland? How often do you get to make phone calls or write home? Now regarding pay with me going reserves will I get base pay while in BMT like active duty would or do I get the 200 a month that I would after BMT while I'm drilling? I'm not sure how my pay would work out during BMT. Also I noticed that the Reserves are offering sign on bonuses for certain jobs but active duty is not, what's your opinion on that? Lastly I am wondering about the GI Bill and Tuition Assistance. I read that you can only use one or the other is that true? Thanks I kind of want to be well prepared when I go sit with the recruiter so I can go ahead and get in there so any other thoughts or opinions would be helpful

Old 09-14-2009, 06:29 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,542,984 times
Futureafreserves, I retired from active duty 13 years ago, so I'm going to leave the details about BMTS to the "youngins" that have been through most recently. I can help you with your bonus question, though. The USAF (and the other services) are no different than any other employer in that they must compete for the best workers with private employers. Since all basic pay is the same for each grade, the way the services can stay competitive is through bonuses.

If the USAF can get plenty of folks to enlist as cooks, SP and transportation, why offer bonuses to them? On the other hand, the hard-to-man specialties that take lots of training and are much harder to entice people to enlist (or reenlist) in are the ones that offer the bonuses.

Since bonuses are based on the needs of the USAF (or the Reserve or ANG unit) they are very flexible. That means they can come and go without much notice. The multiplier can be raised or lowered, too. You have to decide what the "deal breaker" is for you. And, yes, sometimes it can be a gamble. You may see an AFSC that offers a reenlistment bonus at the end of your first term but it may not be there when you go to reenlist.

Anyway, hope this helps and best of luck in your career!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:56 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,704,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureafreserves View Post
Lastly I am wondering about the GI Bill and Tuition Assistance. I read that you can only use one or the other is that true?
Not true...There is a debt repayment plan where if you accept it, you do not get the gi bill during that enlistment period. But if you enist for a second term then you can get the GI Bill

Old 09-14-2009, 01:41 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,908,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureafreserves View Post
Lastly I am wondering about the GI Bill and Tuition Assistance.
Do you mean for courses you will be taking while you are in the AF?

At least on the AD side, you use your TA, and you can top up with the GI Bill (unless that has changed with the new GI Bill). I do not know how top up works though.

Many schools (the private ones that cater to military students) offer a "scholarship" where they cover the portion your TA does not, for another option.
So, if you are not picky about where you go to college, this might be worth checking into.

edit - found more info on top up and it looks like it is only for AD and only for the MGIB. Sorry. http://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/tatu.htm

Old 10-08-2009, 12:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,306 times
Default Want To Join Air Force Reserves

Iam very interested in joining the air force reserves,but I have a few questions.first is there a sign on bonus for most positions?I have no previous military experience.second,Is the pay enough to live off of,and if not,should I consider active duty?third,In active duty how much is the pay?Lastly I heard that a lot of people in the military get married,because it is highly suggested,if this is true why is that?

I would greatly appreciate any advice,or questions in helping me understand how the airforce works

thanks,erica

Old 10-08-2009, 12:55 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,609,994 times
Erica,

Interesting first post, but here is goes.

Have you spoken with a recruiter? [S]He will be able to answer questions about sign on bonuses. Have you attended college? Do you have any college credit? The military works off a fixed pay scale, which varies by rank. This is easily obtainable online. Sounds like you need to have some questions answered before you seek out this career ........

Old 10-09-2009, 10:17 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deykallmie View Post
Iam very interested in joining the air force reserves,but I have a few questions.first is there a sign on bonus for most positions?
I do not think so, however I could be mistaken. You need to discuss this with a recruiter.

Quote:
... I have no previous military experience.second,Is the pay enough to live off of,
Within the part-time military there are many variants.

I have known many reservists who serve 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks each summer. They are paid for each day they serve. Working 2 days a month, even though on a per-day basis you get the same that Active Duty gets paid, your not getting paid for 30 days a month. So no they do not get enough to live on.

I have a renter who is a reservist with the National Guard, his unit trains the 1 weekend each month. However he signs up and volunteers as a base gate-guard, and works a regular daily duty shift in that capacity. So for him, he is working 30 days each month, and he receives the 'full' pay that AD gets.

When a unit is called up, they begin working everyday, so during that finite period of time they do get paid like AD are paid.

When AD 'deploy' and when they are home training, they are paid on a 30-day month.

When part-timers are deployed they are paid like AD. When they return home their pay stops.

Quote:
... and if not,should I consider active duty?third,In active duty how much is the pay?
I was paid okay. Most of my career I was an E6. I got roughly $60k/year tax-free.

Every 4 years when I re-enlisted I got my SRB check usually for around $65k.

It does vary a lot according to branch of service and your pay grade.

Quote:
... Lastly I heard that a lot of people in the military get married,because it is highly suggested,if this is true why is that?
Married folks, well anyone who had 'dependants' will receive extra pays to cover for providing housing for those dependents.

I will also include that if you are thinking of a possible career, remember that a reservist will 'retire' after they have collected enough points. But they will not receive a pension until they are older. I do not recall the age limit, 62? 65?.

Whereas if you served on AD, when you retire you get your pension right away.

For example, I served for 20 years and retired at 42, my pension started immediately.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,202,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I do not think so, however I could be mistaken. You need to discuss this with a recruiter.

Within the part-time military there are many variants.

I have known many reservists who serve 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks each summer. They are paid for each day they serve. Working 2 days a month, even though on a per-day basis you get the same that Active Duty gets paid, your not getting paid for 30 days a month. So no they do not get enough to live on.

I have a renter who is a reservist with the National Guard, his unit trains the 1 weekend each month. However he signs up and volunteers as a base gate-guard, and works a regular daily duty shift in that capacity. So for him, he is working 30 days each month, and he receives the 'full' pay that AD gets.

When a unit is called up, they begin working everyday, so during that finite period of time they do get paid like AD are paid.

When AD 'deploy' and when they are home training, they are paid on a 30-day month.

When part-timers are deployed they are paid like AD. When they return home their pay stops.

I was paid okay. Most of my career I was an E6. I got roughly $60k/year tax-free.

Every 4 years when I re-enlisted I got my SRB check usually for around $65k.

It does vary a lot according to branch of service and your pay grade.

Married folks, well anyone who had 'dependants' will receive extra pays to cover for providing housing for those dependents.

I will also include that if you are thinking of a possible career, remember that a reservist will 'retire' after they have collected enough points. But they will not receive a pension until they are older. I do not recall the age limit, 62? 65?.

Whereas if you served on AD, when you retire you get your pension right away.

For example, I served for 20 years and retired at 42, my pension started immediately.

My son retired from the military ( Navy also) 20 years E-6 ( also) and I can assure you he did not recieve------"65k"-- every four years when he re-enlisted.

That sounds so " out of whack" I have a hard time believing it.

In fact, most re-enlistments that paid a good bonus wanted a ---6 year --re-enlistment and I have never heard of a sailor getting ---"$65k--- every four years when they re-enlisted.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:07 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
My son retired from the military ( Navy also) 20 years E-6 ( also) and I can assure you he did not recieve------"65k"-- every four years when he re-enlisted.

That sounds so " out of whack" I have a hard time believing it.

In fact, most re-enlistments that paid a good bonus wanted a ---6 year --re-enlistment and I have never heard of a sailor getting ---"$65k--- every four years when they re-enlisted.
In 2001 they raised the SRB cap to $90k.

So it is not $65k anymore.

It all depends on what rate a sailor is; how hard it is to get into that rate; and how much civilian head-hunters are offering for the sailors to get out [thus if they are under-manned].

Also with the tax-free bit, I have seen servicemembers who were never tax-free, and I have seen folks like in my community where we were all tax-free for nearly our entire careers. Personally I only had 18 years tax-free during my 20 year AD career. It depends a lot on a servicemember's job, and the community he serves in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues