Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:34 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,210,460 times

Advertisements

--------" how much civilian head hunters are offering"---

I believe my son was the same rate as you.

I know they were not offering $65k re-enlisting bonuses every 4 years.

I'll ask him the next time we are in contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 11:48 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--------" how much civilian head hunters are offering"---

I believe my son was the same rate as you. ...
Wow, what subs was he on?

I was on:
USS George C Marshall SSBN 654 (b),
USS Simon Lake AS-33,
USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 (g),
USS Alaska SSBN 732 (b).

Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 PM

6,457 posts, read 9,832,766 times
I doubt the 65k every 4 years as well. When I was in the navy the only ones that got high bonuses had to sign for 6, not 4. Even an IDC corpsman only got 60k and that was for 6 years, never even heard of 65k before lol

As far as tax free, I thought that was only in war zones, I didn't realize we were at war for 18 years lol

Old 10-09-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
... I know they were not offering $65k re-enlisting bonuses every 4 years.

I'll ask him the next time we are in contact.
Ask him.

A 6-year contract; is a 4-year enlistment with a 2-year obligation to re-enlist. They are common for long schools, like nuc and advanced rates.

You go through a 2-year school and then hit the fleet. At your 4-year point, you have to re-up, since the next 2 years are on an 'obligation' and are not on an enlistment. During that re-enlistment it is very common to be offered a one pay-grade advancement, or an SRB; if you re-enlist for 4 years rather than your obligated 2.

If you take the advancement, then the SRB will be slightly reduced.

This takes the sailor out to year 8, at that re-enlistment he will be offered his full SRB value for another 4 years.

And again at year 12.

Depending upon manning levels at year 16 there may be a reduction. But when I came through manning was low, so SRB stayed high.

When I retired in 2001, they raised the SRB caps to $90k to keep up with inflation and starting salaries that guys were being offered if they got out.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:09 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,911,063 times
For the OP - Air Force Selective Reenlistment bonus table

Air Force Reenlistment Bonuses

This changes often.

My husband's SRB changes a lot. Currently it is one of the highest but he is just out of the zone for getting one since he will reenlist again at 15 yrs. Otherwise, he'd be getting 90K (and a lot of people try to reenlist while in a combat zone for the tax exclusion). Last time he did reenlist he got the max available then.

As you can see by the chart, many of the SRBs are a lot smaller than a multiplier of 6 or 7, and some of the high ones are fields restricted to men only - but there are plenty on there if you are interested.

I don't know about sign on bonuses. There was a time when certain fields and certain enlistment lengths got a bonus. But I don't know - a recruiter would know. If I were you, before you talk to one, go to about.com and look at all the AFSC (jobs) listings that describe the various positions. This way you have an idea of what you would like versus someone selling you on something and making it sound really cool. (that is how a friend of mine ended up a radioman in the Navy and spent her 12 hour rotating shifts in the message center, bored - she was able to cross-rate to a different job later on, fortunately, and is still in the Navy today).

As far as pay goes - lower enlisted pay is tight, but you can live on it if you don't have high expectations for a big house or nice car or 72 inch plasma tvs, etc...You hang in there when it is low and be prudent and later on as you advance in rank, it gets a lot better and easier and you have great saving habits ingrained in you so that when you CAN afford all of that, you are smarter about spending it.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:25 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,486,560 times
Beekeeper is right. My uncle has been in the AF for over 22yrs. because he has been offered crazy amounts of $ the past decade (and my aunt loves living overseas).

Most jobs don't get this kind of bonus of course. Pilots, intel, etc. Hard to man (not enough smart people around) MOS's where experience is key.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I doubt the 65k every 4 years as well. When I was in the navy the only ones that got high bonuses had to sign for 6, not 4. Even an IDC corpsman only got 60k and that was for 6 years, never even heard of 65k before lol

As far as tax free, I thought that was only in war zones, I didn't realize we were at war for 18 years lol
LOL

It is not exclusively about combat zones.

As to the OP; Deykallmie [erica] are we providing answers that help you?

I should think that reading this you may have more questions.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,072 times
Default Thinking of joining AF reserves, looking for peoples experiences

Like the title says, I'm looking for peoples experiences in the AF reserves, Good, bad, ugly let me hear them all. Really interested in deployment issues and frequency. Thanks in advance for the information.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:44 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,219,178 times
There really is no short or all-inclusive answer regarding AFRES generally. Some will tell you they love it, some tolerated it, some hated it. And all are valid...depends on how much you like the unit you're in, the job you get or select, etc. Generally, the downside is that every month (for most) you have a weekend dedicated to going to your unit and a 2 week stint each year. This can mess up plans and be a general hassle. And deployments, aside, the military, organized/administratively speaking isn't always exactly the most have-it-all-together group in the whole wide world, and can "put the screws" to you in various ways (eg say they're going to give you a given assignment or job then change their mind at the last second, etc). Sometimes I'm amazed they can function at all, frankly. Upside? Well you get paid for it And you're building towards a retirement check and full retirement benefits as well (assuming you're interested in that). Also you are gaining experience, hopefully in a career field you're interested in generally, but even the experience overall can be a plus in a variety of ways in terms of having that job, learning to work with others in a professional environment, etc etc - along with the specific skills for your job that you learn.

Also most employers look favorably - sometimes very favorably - on someone with a military background, esp younger job candidates w/little experience otherwise, as it not only gives you experience at your job, but proves you are reliable and responsible.

Re deployment, the short answer is it varies, according largely to what kind of job (career field) you're in, but it's nothing like the Army - generally less frequent and for less time (6 mos max) although I think that has shifted in recent times (longer tours). And keep in mind "deploying" doesn't automatically mean you will be on the front lines. In fact, odds are against it.

Alternatively, you might instead get assignments stateside to backfill for active duty people who have deployed overseas, ie "hold down the fort" while they're gone, and/or you might engage in exercises ("war games").

Anyway just some off the cuff thoughts.

Last edited by joey2000; 02-23-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 11-27-2012, 12:40 AM

65 posts, read 437,451 times
Default Planning to join Air Force Reserves

Hi there! I'm planning to join Air Force Reserves but I currently don't have a job. It's hard to get a job nowadays. Its also hard to get seasonal job as well not that I really want jobs like working at mall or something but I feel its hard to get a job at Best Buy or something. I also am not getting calls or interviews frequently even if I keep sending my applications or resume. Job interview appoints happen once a week.

However, does it matter whether im still unemployed to join Air Force Reserves? I also want to gain skills from military. At the same time I am job searching but it seems I'm more focused on researching about joining AIr Force Reserves. Should I still both job search and join Air Force Reserve?

Also I'm wondering, what if I do get job but still want to consider Air Force? or LOL! Should I focus on the Asvab and AIR Force Reserve enlistment stuff first and then find a job or get interviews?

What if I get a job if I'm enrolled in DEP? I Just need to prepare or know what happens if I do both. Get interviews and if I get an offer and same time being interested in joining AF Reserve.

I also cannot join Air Force Active duty because i already passed the age gap which is still 27.. I'm 29 turning 30 and I researched about Air Force Reserves which the age gap is up to 34.

I still need to talk to Recruiter to schedule ASVAB. I'm still studying for actual Asvab but I did take a mini practice one and I got a 42 but recruiter said I should go for 50 so that I get a job that I want.

Anyone here joining AF Reserves? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks,
webgirl01
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues