Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 PM

15 posts, read 32,358 times

Advertisements

Hey..e-mail me at this e-mail..musicman53@comcast.net...thanx.randy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 05:46 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,549,153 times
Ah, the memories!

Day 1, BCT at Ft. Polk, La in 1969. Since I had been held over as a barracks leader, I'd spent more than a week in the relaxed environment of the Reception Station and had decided this Army business wasn't so bad after all.

But, when the open-top cattle trucks pulled up in front of C/2/2, the first thing I saw was a head with a round brown hat appear over the tailgate: "GET OFF MY GD TRUCK!" I knew right then that things had changed.

We spent the next hour or so standing in formation practicing sitting our duffle bags down in unison and being tormented. We also got our first introduction to the "low crawl"...on a gravel parking lot. After they finally dismissed us to the barracks, the Drill's spent quite some time picking up change, cigarette lighters and whatever else had been in our ripped open pockets. We didn't get it back.

PX runs: Every now and then, somebody would take on the challenge of a night time run to the PX with orders from the rest of the platoon for candy and snacks. We weren't allowed to have any.

One night, a Drill caught the runner coming back with his pockets stuffed. He made him eat every bit of it under his watchful eye. Then, he ran him around the parade field out back until he puked it up. Naturally, the barracks then got torn apart and they found everything we had hidden.

So...we came up with an ingenious plan: We buried a foot locker underneath the barracks to hide our stash. The night some guys crawled under and buried it, I was on "guard," looking for the approach of anybody and can remember the clouds of Louisiana dust in the light from the windows. That foot locker served us well through the whole cycle and we were SOOOO proud of our ingenuity!

But, on the day of our graduation, the Senior Drill came up to us and said, "Did y'all get that foot locker out from underneath the barracks?"

The rifle range: Louisiana winters can get colder than you think. One morning, it was drizzling freezing rain all day and our gloved fingers froze to the triggers on the rifle range. The base was shut down...except for our company. The Battalion Commander got word that we were out in it and slid his way to the range where he ate the Commander's azz out right in front of us all. Boy, was he pizzed! I've never heard such a good butt chewin'!

That made the CO and all the Drills mad, so they took it out on us during the march back in. They went berserk. We came to call it, The Bataan Death March. Ever tried marching in formation on half an inch of ice? Anybody who slipped up or fell down got beaten and kicked. One poor fellow slipped and a Drill knocked him into an ice covered ditch, face down, then stood on top of him holding under the freezing water. By the time we got back to the company area, the aid truck was overflowing with casualties.

Marching: One morning, a car sped past our marching troops too fast and one of our least favorite Drills yelled out in his best Drill Sergeant voice: "SLOW THAT MF DOWN!" The car slid to halt and a full-bird Colonel lept out and locked his heels right there in the middle of the road. We loved it!

Sometimes, we'd march past the stockade and the inmate would hang on the fence yelling insults at us. The cadence call would change:

Look to my left and what do I see,
A bunch of s--tbirds lookin' at me.

Finally, graduation was near and they got all we draftees into a classroom where we received our orders for AIT. The sergeant read off a long list of names, noting which Army post they were going to for what training. Then, he finished with, "Anyone whose name I did not call are going to North Fort for Infantry AIT." My name had not been called!

There must be some mistake. I was promised transportation by the guy who filled out my dream sheet. So, I asked the SGT to double check. He did. My name still wasn't there.

I went back to the barracks and cried. Eight more weeks of the same crap and I was STILL at Ft. Polk!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:42 PM

hey..drop me a line!..musicman53@comcast.net

Old 03-09-2012, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,626 times
Yes I do. Will never forget this guy. I was in D-6-2 in April of 72 . 40 years ago next month.
Drill Sgt Whitehead was the scariest guy I had seen in real life up to that point.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnusnret View Post
Musicman53 I was also in D-6-2 (1970-1971) and am looking for a graduation book. Have you had any luck? If I do, I'll post the information. I remember SFC Whitehead well as well as SSG Gunter (?). Can't remember the East European corporal's name though.
could you please e-mail me at this address...musicman53@comcast.net...thanx,randy

Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 AM

are you still logged in here??

Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman53 View Post
are you still logged in here??
You can try DM'ing him, go here, https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...et-510974.html click on "Contact Info"

That was his last and only post and activity, 02-05-2009,

Old 11-25-2012, 10:23 PM

22,672 posts, read 24,642,745 times
YES.....the night I got there....my 17th birthday. OOOPS, Marine Corps boot camp became reality and I knew I f***** up. 4 years of that and I was very glad to get out. Never been around so many doped up/drunk morons ever again.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:08 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,039,788 times
I have to agree that the fondest memory of boot camp was the day I left Parris Island over that long bridge back to civilization..

Old 11-27-2012, 01:53 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,559,984 times
I laughed several minutes after reading this one! If you don't mind, I'd like to post it on my Facebook page, but I will not take credit for it. My brother-in-law was Army so he'd get a kick out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
I was known for being the "Joker". Great "Mistakes" in the winter of '89 and one week into boot camp, we were in front of our racks at parade rest for locker inspection. The C.C. walked by me while inspecting the two "bugs" across from my rack and looked down at my foot position of my parade rest.

"CUCAMONGA!!!" the C.C. yells (he could never say my last name, to difficult, and so he improvised). "Your feet are not at the right distance for parade rest! It needs to be shoulder length or 12 inches!"

Then he proceeds to tap my boondockers with his shoe to seperate my feet further.

He continues, "Do I need to whip out my D@#K and place it on the ground so you would know what your feet would look like 12 inches apart!?!?"

I respond quickly and loudly, "Sir, if you did that, I would be back at attention,SIR!"

For 5-7 seconds, all you heard was loud snickering and clearing of throats in the barracks. The first class P.O. turned red and his head looked like it was gone to explode b/c it was shaking so hard. I could see the other C.C. from the corner of my view turn around and began to shake from laughter.

He yells,"JUST DROP!". So I begin the push up position! "And keep going until I come back!"

Both walk out of the squad bay. They return after 5 mins and call for me.

My punishment: Singing the chorus from The Joker from the Steve Miller Band while doing jumping jacks and push-ups in the court yard. Singing, "I'm the Joker, I'm the Joker, I'm a midnight Joker. I'm a bug that's on the run"

Everytime I hear that song, I develope a big GRIN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues