Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:22 AM

7 posts, read 16,347 times

Advertisements

When I was in basic OSUT army infantry sand hill fort benning GA.

One night 3 soldiers got caught sneaking back from the vending machine down at the px. They had been sneaking out coming back with loads of candy and cigarettes. Then reselling making good money off of it actually.

While this time they got caught. Teh next morning the whole company was put in formation and the first sergeant had the culprits in front leaning rest and was yelling at everyone. Then he took the bag full of candy and threw it on the ground candy flying everywhere.

First SGT was a pacific islander with a very amusing accent I might add. As we all stood there at attention first SGT started yelling asking if anyone wanted some candy. Then he said if you want some candy go ahead get it and eat it. EAT ALL YOU TAKE RIGHT NOW. No one moved. He repeated it again so I stepped forward and picked up a milky way and a bag of M+Ms , as I started eating them the 1st SGT remained quiet for a few seconds watching me.

Seeing as I wasn't getting into any trouble 8 other solders from 2cnd and 3rd platoon stepped forward to grab some candy. The 1st Sgt went off on them. "did I tell you you could have some candy." Do push ups. yada yada yada.

Then while the guilty ones and the other 8 were doing push ups he then allowed the rest of the company to eat candy as well. OFC after we returned to our individual platoons we got "smoked" to work off the candy we had eaten.

LOL Best damn candy bar I ever ate though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,191 times
does any one know what this means..... A35 BT Platoon 4 FT Dix NJ my dad was in the navy or something i dont know his name was Dennis D. Lewis im his daughter i was just wanting to know some information on my dad please email me and let me know something. [email]roseandemma2010@yahoo.com[/email]

thanks christa lewis

Old 10-11-2010, 08:07 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,876,326 times
Fond memories of boot camp

The fondest was getting on to the buses with the rest of my company and heading out to Camp Geiger and getting off of Parris Island!!

Old 07-28-2011, 05:12 PM

15 posts, read 32,358 times
Anyone out there take basic at fort dix new jersey? D-6-2 1970..sgt whitehead drill instructor!!!..please reply.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:48 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,636,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Fond memories of boot camp

The fondest was getting on to the buses with the rest of my company and heading out to Camp Geiger and getting off of Parris Island!!
Y'all went straight there? We could take 10 days leave if we wanted.

One of our DIs had to march around the MRP guys because their DI was not around. He just ran behind them yelling "One crutch, two crutch...You're not crutching in time" and so forth. It was pretty damned funny.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:20 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,401,203 times
I can't remember any fond memories of boot camp. When I went through MCRD back in 1970, fond memories was not a priority. Memories yes, fond no.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:49 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,876,326 times
A statistic, not a surprising statistic though, a fair percent of people in other branches of the military take their families and show them where they went thru Boot Camp. Parris Island gets the fewest number of people going back for a visit of all the Boot Camps of all the military branches. An old retired Gunny gave me that piece of information.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:42 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,977,784 times
I didn't do boot camp but I have fond () memories of his DI. My husband did his basic training at Ft Bragg, NC. Week two I received a call from my husband telling me to put some money in a plain white envelope and drive to Ft Bragg Friday afternoon. He gave me directions to the 'day room' and asked to see Sgt XXXX. Give him the envelope and he will give you further instructions. He said he was going to get out for the weekend.

I asked hubby how much money to put in the envelope. He said at least $40.00, this was 1969 and that was lots of money! I followed the instructions and got to Sgt. XXXX's office and gave him the envelope. He gave me directions to drive down this road turn left and I could pick up my package there. He then said you must stay in this area (Fayetteville) and return the package to the same location before lights out Sunday night. If the package is not returned it will be AWOL. Do you understand. I said yes Sir.

I left to go get my package. There was my husband waiting on me. Every weekend I went through the same routine and had to increase the contents of the envelope to $50.00.

They did work his rear off Monday thru Friday ... he went in at 205 lbs and graduated from boot camp at 169 and was in Vietnam within six months.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:47 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,636,266 times
Quote:
A statistic, not a surprising statistic though, a fair percent of people in other branches of the military take their families and show them where they went thru Boot Camp. Parris Island gets the fewest number of people going back for a visit of all the Boot Camps of all the military branches. An old retired Gunny gave me that piece of information.
Doesn't surprise me. "Hey, here's where I had to drink water til I puked.", etc. PI is probably one of the few places dedicated to training as well so it is probably less interesting.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:29 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times
Quote:
Verifiable statistic? I have only been to two graduations at Parris Island...

How about:

Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island ~ We Make Marines
Quote:
Parris Island is one of the most visited military facilities in the world, hosting more than 120,000 visitors a year. This translates into a significant economic impact for surrounding communities.

Most visitors come to attend the recruit Graduation Ceremony.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues