Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:26 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,676,596 times

Advertisements

Hi ya folks:
I have a soft spot for Navy. My dad was on the USS Putnum back in the 50's. I never get tired of his stories. LOL his ship was in the movie with Mickey Rooney, ??? The Bridges over Toko Rei ??? I think it was. We watched that every year it came on. Dad used to point to a section and say "see there I am" Like as if we could see the faces of the guys. We fell for it every time.
Love you Navy Folks : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 10:27 AM

5,478 posts, read 12,256,990 times
Navy has LOTS of tradition and ritual as well. I think that connection helps with the whole feeling of brotherhood and comradary whereas the Air Force is still a relatively young service and trying to define itself and its own traditions.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:51 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,357,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Tell her to consider the Coast Guard as well, you still get to be on cutters, part of homeland security, if she has good enough grades she can attend the Coast Guard Academy, which unlike other military institutions does not require a congressional nomination at this point.
I agree completely, but maybe I am biased. LOL There is such a variety of jobs, besides Homeland Security, a person can do search and research (USCG rescued more people after Katrina than all other other agencies combined), aid to navigation (including lighthouses), environmental/pollution issues, law enforcement, and drug interdiction. My son has done all except drug interdiction, althought he has boarded foreign ships looking for contraband.

Coasties do serve aboard some Navy vessels. Only Coasties are recognized internationally to board foreign ships, it can be considered an act of war to do so by other service branches. Coast Guard is a small and close knit service branch who consider themselves one extended family.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:42 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,788,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
USAF: Let's buy a jet fighter (F-15) with a really cosmic engine-starting system that, when it breaks, the aircraft can't be started.

USN/USMC: Let's buy a jet fighter (F/A-18) that, when the cosmic engine-starting sytem is broken, we can start it with external power.
Makes sense. As long as the ENEMY thinks it will start, it doesn't matter!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:24 AM

24,774 posts, read 28,558,890 times
I did carrier duty. Mediterranean ~ North Atlantic chasing Russian Subs and 15 months Gulf of Tonkin Yankee ~ Dixie Station. TDA working on the flight deck loading ordinance, If I was going to do it again I would say Coast Guard lots of advantages....... Old Navy Tinman

Old 07-15-2008, 06:54 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,413,882 times
I was Navy for 20 years (started as a PH and retired as a CTI). During my CT days I was able to ride on all sorts of boats, from 688's to carriers and even a CG Cutter. I wouldn't really say the CG has many advantages and I personally was glad I was Navy and only a Rider.. The crew was smaller, so it was more like a family, but those guys and gals put in some Serious sea time.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:10 AM

5,478 posts, read 12,256,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I was Navy for 20 years (started as a PH and retired as a CTI). During my CT days I was able to ride on all sorts of boats, from 688's to carriers and even a CG Cutter. I wouldn't really say the CG has many advantages and I personally was glad I was Navy and only a Rider.. The crew was smaller, so it was more like a family, but those guys and gals put in some Serious sea time.
Yeah...I think CG is for those who don't care to put in the seatime. It's rather chill. But you wanna talk sea time, try a USNS. Those things are NEVER in port except to drop and load. But...you get your own state room, the chow is awesome, and it's slack duty....you can save ALOT of dinero because you're always underway!!

Old 07-16-2008, 11:24 AM

24,774 posts, read 28,558,890 times
If I was 18 again!!! It would be Coast Guard. I know about sea time. When I was in Viet Nam in 69 we would pull 45-60 days on line 24/7 flight operations doing support on the main trail from the North...... But look what you would have if you went CG.... Still "Boats" "Planes" and "Guns"...

Old 07-16-2008, 11:41 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,954,427 times
I just retired from the Navy about 4 years ago. Nothing in the military changes that fast. If there's any questions, feel free to fire them my way, or have her do it, Kev.

Also, I work on an Air Force base since I retired. If she has any questions there, I'm sure I can get the answer from those I work with.

If she joins, Kev, please tell her "thank you" from me!!

Rath

Old 07-17-2008, 06:17 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I think they started changing that after I got out. Or maybe it's STILL that way.

EDIT:**the way it USED to be, at least...**

NO women on combat mission vessels...including carriers. Enterprise might have been an exception, training carrier of out ....Mayport? The only carrier I knew of permitting women was down in Florida, anyhow.

More likely to get a shore station or tender duty. Auxiliary ships...AE, AO, AFS, AD, AS...seeing a pattern here?

Oh NO! I am ex navy and work DOD on carriers. There are thousands of women on them. There are also women pilots with the airwings! All ships are now co-ed, except of course the submarine forces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues