Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 11:06 AM

17 posts, read 43,289 times

Advertisements

I know this is minor but boy did this get under my skin(I am a child of WW2 vet) and I have to ask other's opinion.

Air force Academy drop out (only went 2 years). Never enlisted, never deployed, never served

Gets a free lunch for Veteran Day and now he thinks he is a Veteran

Is he a Veteran?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 11:47 AM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
Doesn’t sound like it. Here you’re usually required to show proof of service. Driver’s license showing veteran status or DD 214.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:36 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Doesn't seem to be stolen valor.

The term “veteran” means "a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released therefrom under conditions other than dishonorable."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/38/101

The term “active military, naval, or air service” includes— "(A) active duty; (B) any period of active duty for training during which the individual concerned was disabled or died from a disease or injury incurred or aggravated in line of duty; and (C) any period of inactive duty training during which the individual concerned was disabled or died— (i) from an injury incurred or aggravated in line of duty; or (ii) from an acute myocardial infarction, a cardiac arrest, or a cerebrovascular accident occurring during such training."

38 USC § 101(24)

The term “active duty” means—

"(A)full-time duty in the Armed Forces, other than active duty for training;

(B)full-time duty (other than for training purposes) as a commissioned officer of the Regular or Reserve Corps of the Public Health Service;

(C)full-time duty as a commissioned officer of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; and

(D)full-time duty as a cadet or midshipman at the United States Military Academy, United States Naval Academy, United States Air Force Academy, or the United States Coast Guard Academy."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/s...5----000-.html

Unlike OCS or ROTC officer candidates/cadets, service academy cadets and midshipmen are considered full active duty as opposed to active duty for training.

Thus, unless I missed another section of U.S. code that would further delineate things, the guy seems to be a veteran.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:00 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
A better description might be “con man” despite the description above.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:31 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
A better description might be “con man” despite the description above.
I'm torn on the issue.

Part of me feels that the person is a con to claim veteran status for the reason posited in the OP.

Another part of me feel that, notwithstanding that the person didn't complete the full four year tour at the Academy, the law says the person is a veteran, so who am I to judge?

Yet another part of me can argue for giving this person the full respect and credit of a veteran, even outside of the technical definition. Indeed, this person spent two years undertaking an important mission/tour (that of developing officers to lead the military). The fact that the person didn't finish the mission/tour (and not every service member will finish every mission/tour they are sent to complete, but that still doesn't mean that they didn't serve) does not take away from this.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:03 PM

Nicely said.

I know that two years in the academy are a pretty tough two years but I’d be curious to know what happened to him. I thought that if you didn’t complete one of the academies, there were various payback clauses?

Old 11-12-2019, 08:47 PM

363 posts, read 350,163 times
iirc, when you show up to start the third year, you then have a five-year service commitment.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:24 AM

17 posts, read 43,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Nicely said.

I know that two years in the academy are a pretty tough two years but I’d be curious to know what happened to him. I thought that if you didn’t complete one of the academies, there were various payback clauses?

His excuse was - Airforce changed their pilot program so he decided not to go any further. Truth be told I am not sure he even finished 2nd year. I kind of call BS myself to that excuse
But he always says "Well when I was in the Airforce Academy" never ever tells people he didn't graduate.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8Cali View Post
His excuse was - Airforce changed their pilot program so he decided not to go any further. Truth be told I am not sure he even finished 2nd year. I kind of call BS myself to that excuse
But he always says "Well when I was in the Airforce Academy" never ever tells people he didn't graduate.
Most kids seem to work so hard to get into any of the academies that unless there’s a major issues such as health limitations, I just don’t see someone leaving at the drop of a hat. Plus, I suspect that no one gets promised a pilot’s slot until late in the Academy program. Sure, there are airmanship programs to fly small aircraft but my guess is that there are no guarantees beyond that.

We’ll likely never know and, it’s probably none of our business anyway. Kind of interesting to speculate on the ole interwebs though!

Ona side note, the only academy graduate I’m associated with today is a young man who rides with us on our Saturday morning cycling rides when he and his girlfriend are in town visiting her family. At 61, I can still drop everyone in our club simply because I ride a fast recumbent which is much more aero than any diamond frame bike. On the flats, 29-30 is their top end....and I can squeeze out 31-32 for a short distance.

Not this young man. He sticks to my wheel like glue and then comes around as I run outta steam. Kid is very well-built and squared away. If the rest of the grads are like this guy, the USAF is in damn good hands.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:26 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8Cali View Post
I know this is minor but boy did this get under my skin(I am a child of WW2 vet) and I have to ask other's opinion.

Air force Academy drop out (only went 2 years). Never enlisted, never deployed, never served

Gets a free lunch for Veteran Day and now he thinks he is a Veteran

Is he a Veteran?
Don't worry about it. If everyone showing up for their free Veteran's Day meal had to provide proof beyond wearing some cap they bought off Amazon, the place may very well be empty. At least this person actually set foot in a military environment; many fake the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues