Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,531,511 times

Advertisements

The Wall Street Journal had an opinion piece in the Thursday, FEB 14th edition entitled: "From SEAL Team Six to Retiring Without Health Insurance". Authors USMC Lt. Col John Barnett and Mr. Michael O'Hanlon of the Brookings Institute suggest, among other things, that stateside commissaries and exchanges could be eliminated to help cut the Defense budget. Your thoughts, please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 09:59 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
I thought that stateside commissaries and exchanges were self sustaining. That's what that surcharge (instead of tax) was about.

Overseas commissaries and exchanges were to have gold flow back to the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Your thoughts, please...
My thoughts would be rude and a violation of the Terms of Service to this site. Plus it was just an "Opinion page"

Old 02-18-2013, 10:46 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,086,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I thought that stateside commissaries and exchanges were self sustaining. That's what that surcharge (instead of tax) was about.

Overseas commissaries and exchanges were to have gold flow back to the U.S.

My thoughts would be rude and a violation of the Terms of Service to this site. Plus it was just an "Opinion page"

You are correct that is why we pay surcharge. The Base Exchanges and Commissaries are self sustaining. Some items sold at the base cost more than on the economy (ie Walmart). Some items cost less.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
The Wall Street Journal had an opinion piece in the Thursday, FEB 14th edition entitled: "From SEAL Team Six to Retiring Without Health Insurance". Authors USMC Lt. Col John Barnett and Mr. Michael O'Hanlon of the Brookings Institute suggest, among other things, that stateside commissaries and exchanges could be eliminated to help cut the Defense budget. Your thoughts, please...
I do not agree with them. One of the "perks" for retiring from military is being able to shop at the commissary and PX, getting things MUCH lower price than out there in the civilian world. It would be a slap in the face to those who put in their time for this country.

There are other ways to cut spending, taking away from those who are serving or have retired, is not one that should be considered.

Not to mention the many people those places employ...stupid idea.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:12 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,076 times
In CONUS locations with plenty of off-base retail availability, it may be reasonable to close the BX/PX and commissary. However, if these are indeed self-sustaining, it may be pointless to do so - other than reducing competition for the off-base establishments.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:20 PM

Years ago, in the 80's maybe, Congress passed legislation to prevent CONUS Exchanges and Commissaries from competing with the local economy, which also prohibited 'major appliances' from being sold.

Perhaps "Lt. Col John Barnett and Mr. Michael O'Hanlon of the Brookings Institute" never really lived the life of a Soldier, Sailor, Airmen, Marine or 'Coast Guardsman'...

Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,532 times
Poncho~
What is meant by 'major appliances'? I only ask because I have purchased washers, dryers, stoves, refrigerators and A/Cs- all since the 80s.

It is incredible that they are thinking of closing the PX & Comms; after all we now have to pay to have health care Tricare (which was promised upon completion of 20 years Service).

The VA provides us with free care that involves service connected issues but charge for basic care. Soon a Retiree may receive a "don't let the door hit you in your azz" and nothing else for 20 years of Service (or worse medical Retirement).

Old 02-18-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Poncho~
What is meant by 'major appliances'? I only ask because I have purchased washers, dryers, stoves, refrigerators and A/Cs- all since the 80s.
You have purchased in the states? Well, "washers, dryers, stoves, refrigerators" use to be 'major appliances' when we returned from Europe in 1980... I do not doubt it has changed.

Quote:
It is incredible that they are thinking of closing the PX & Comms; after all we now have to pay to have health care Tricare (which was promised upon completion of 20 years Service).
Who is that? I guess "Lt. Col John Barnett and Mr. Michael O'Hanlon of the Brookings Institute" which I don't know what influence they have on anything... I have not researched that.

Quote:
The VA provides us with free care that involves service connected issues but charge for basic care. Soon a Retiree may receive a "don't let the door hit you in your azz" and nothing else for 20 years of Service (or worse medical Retirement).
Growl I have been hearing that type of talk for over 45 years... I have been trying to stay positive for many years. I have taken up arms in real issues. Some people in one of my units use to laugh because I kept blank IG Complaint forms in my desk and had the Waste Fraud and Abuse Toll Free Hotline memorized.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-28-2013 at 06:55 AM..

Old 02-18-2013, 04:09 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,086,342 times
Quote:
You have purchased in the states? Well, "washers, dryers, stoves, refrigerators" use to be 'major appliances' when we returned from Europe in 1980... I do not doubt it has changed.

Who is they? I guess "Lt. Col John Barnett and Mr. Michael O'Hanlon of the Brookings Institute" which I don't know what influence they have on anything... I have not researched that.

Growl I have been hearing that type of talk for over 45 years... I have been trying to stay positive for many years. I have taken up arms in real issues. Some people in one of my units use to laugh because I kept blank IG Complaint forms in my desk and had the Waste Fraud and Abuse Toll Free Hotline memorized.

That last part on the VA stuff is why I plan on getting involved with it once I retire. It may be only local to the area I move to but I will be an advocate for anyone looking for assistance from the VA.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,718 times
Quote:
I thought the commissary surcharge was to support construction of new commissary facilities. Commissary employees are civil servants, paid for by the government, whereas BX/PX employees work for AAFES, which gets only 2% or so of its budget from the government (for utilities and salaries of the relatively few uniformed people assigned to AAFES).

There have been proposals to abolish commissaries and let AAFES take over the role. I would imagine that prices would be comparable to Walmart, but the tax savings could be significant, depending on the state that you live in...

Last edited by jsherman9901; 02-18-2013 at 07:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues