Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 10:23 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,440 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know this will have limited interest, but just wondering for those who have shopped at both how does the 32nd St Exchange compare to, what I consider one of the best exchanges in the Navy, Pearl Harbor Exchange. When living there, I did 90% of my shopping at both the Navy Exchange and Commissary. Just wondering what others thought, since we will be moving to San Diego next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 06:24 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
There are a few places [like Pearl] where the local price of goods is high, so the Commissary prices are very favorable. AAFES is a private corporation so I am not as familiar with their price setting policies.

Southern California on the other hand has much lower price food. So I suspect that your experience will not be as favorable there.

We have shopped at Pearl, though we have not shopped in San Diego.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:00 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
I've cruised through Pearl when I was in Oahu on vacation - but not doing any serious shopping. It seemed like the exchange in Japan - great prices compared to the local prices...

The 32nd Street Exchange (I shop the Commissary there now) is pretty nice.

Recent purchases that were alot cheaper after shopping around include : Britax Car Seat, Bose headphones, Entertainment Center, and Lancome make-up.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:23 AM

Mahalo! I'm retired, so my concern is where to shop. My annuity is generous, but still we'll have limited funds and I want to shop wisely. It's good to hear that the food prices in San Diego are reasonable. We're in Texas now and the food prices are reasonable as well, but there is no State Income Tax here, whereas, I'll have less disposable cash in SD due to the high amount of taxes. Again Thanks!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
San Diego is definitely one of the areas, along with Hawaii and Japan (among others), where the exchange benefit is actually a benefit more than just tax savings.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:02 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
There are a few places [like Pearl] where the local price of goods is high, so the Commissary prices are very favorable. AAFES is a private corporation so I am not as familiar with their price setting policies.

Southern California on the other hand has much lower price food. So I suspect that your experience will not be as favorable there.

We have shopped at Pearl, though we have not shopped in San Diego.
Yeah, the difference in some places -- especially Hawaii (and Alaska) -- for food makes a world of difference ... but I will say that the commissary prices everywhere are a noticeable savings for anyone ... up in Washington, where food is not particularly high, I can save close to 30% on many if not most items ... and when I am in Calif. I find it about the same. Exchange / PX prices are nothing special compared to most low-budget retailers anyplace (Target, WalMart, etc) -- except where there are high local sales taxes.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Yeah, the difference in some places -- especially Hawaii (and Alaska) -- for food makes a world of difference ... but I will say that the commissary prices everywhere are a noticeable savings for anyone ... up in Washington, where food is not particularly high, I can save close to 30% on many if not most items ... and when I am in Calif. I find it about the same. Exchange / PX prices are nothing special compared to most low-budget retailers anyplace (Target, WalMart, etc) -- except where there are high local sales taxes.
You're so right, when we purchase meat here it's at least 30% more expensive than if I bought at the commissary. Unfortunately, the closest commissary for us is over an hour away here in Plano. Having that benefit nearby in San Diego will be very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues