Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 AM

43,702 posts, read 44,455,186 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how American military and veterans view foreign veterans (from friendly countries to the USA) when they encounter them in the USA. Does that change one's perception of the person and what is that perception?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 10:48 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,793,757 times
I am a retired U.S. Army Soldier. I was involved with NATO troops overseas. I was stationed overseas and encountered military personnel from other countries. When I was stationed in Germany I use to occasionally eat lunch in the German Army "Cantina" on Flak Casern, Augsburg...

Why would it change my perception? I usually get along with most people. There are a few exceptions...

Old 01-15-2013, 12:09 PM

467 posts, read 1,523,020 times
I think it depends on the country. Military veterans of our close allies are generally well thought of.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:43 PM

43,702 posts, read 44,455,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Why would it change my perception? I usually get along with most people. There are a few exceptions...
Would it make you respect the person more if you found out that they were a foreign military vet?

Old 01-15-2013, 04:48 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,793,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Would it make you respect the person more if you found out that they were a foreign military vet?
What part of "I am a retired U.S. Army Soldier. I was involved with NATO troops overseas.", " encountered military personnel from other countries.", ''Why would it change my perception? I usually get along with most people. There are a few exceptions..." do you not understand? There might be exceptions. It depends on the circumstances. It might depend on my mood that day. I might react differently on how the individual behaves.

Exactly what are you really looking for?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 PM

10 posts, read 16,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I would expect to joke around and relate or maybe talk about our different experience being from a different country and all. I don't see why we wouldn't have any respect towards each other, unless if they happen to be British. For whatever reason, those guys had a pretentious attitude about being around us. Their Royal Marines though, I have respect for them. They're some pretty cool dudes.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,155,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoLoco View Post
I would expect to joke around and relate or maybe talk about our different experience being from a different country and all. I don't see why we wouldn't have any respect towards each other, unless if they happen to be British. For whatever reason, those guys had a pretentious attitude about being around us. Their Royal Marines though, I have respect for them. They're some pretty cool dudes.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:13 PM

499 posts, read 2,157,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoLoco View Post
You and I have had polar opposite experiences. I've had nothing but great experiences with the British military-- whether in the states or in Afghanistan. I'm glad they are our best ally.

To answer the OPs question-- I think military members, regardless of nationality, share similar bonds. As such, I think there's mutual respect.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 PM

10 posts, read 16,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
You and I have had polar opposite experiences. I've had nothing but great experiences with the British military-- whether in the states or in Afghanistan. I'm glad they are our best ally.

To answer the OPs question-- I think military members, regardless of nationality, share similar bonds. As such, I think there's mutual respect.
I'm basing my experience just meeting the one's around Camp Leatherneck/Bastion in the Helmand Province. Maybe I just ran into their pogues and they don't know any better. Every other International force seemed happy to talk to me and my guys when we were around. That's just one guys story any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues