Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:14 PM

468 posts, read 1,544,660 times

Advertisements

A co-worker, and I, are veterans of the U.S. Air Force. We were both honorably discharged. Neither of us are disabled, and we didn't retire from the service.

This past Veteran's Day we had a discussion concerning military ID cards for veteran's who are not disabled, or who did not retire. If ever asked for "proof", for whatever reason, we have always produced our DD214's.

Upon further research I found that their is currently a bill to create the U.S. Veteran's ID Card Act (H.R. 2985). If passed this bill will allow the Veteran's Administration to issue photo ID cards for all veterans who were honorably discharged. Currently the VA only issues ID cards for those who are disabled or have retired from the service.

I think this is a bill that is way overdue. So, please call the U.S. Representative, for your state, and ask them to support H.R. 2985.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-17-2011 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 09:37 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,403,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
A co-worker, and I, are veterans of the U.S. Air Force. We were both honorably discharged. Neither of us are disabled, and we didn't retire from the service.

This past Veteran's Day we had a discussion concerning military ID cards for veteran's who are not disabled, or who did not retire. If ever asked for "proof", for whatever reason, we have always produced our DD214's.

Upon further research I found that their is currently a bill to create the U.S. Veteran's ID Card Act (H.R. 2985). If passed this bill will allow the Veteran's Administration to issue photo ID cards for all veterans who were honorably discharged. Currently the VA only issues ID cards for those who are disabled or have retired from the service.

I think this is a bill that is way overdue. So, please call the U.S. Representative, for your state, and ask them to support H.R. 2985.
That would be really cool.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:15 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,249,064 times
Quote:

Or you could simply enroll in the VA healthcare network. The photo ID is one of the first things you get after completing your basic eligibility paperwork.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:33 AM

782 posts, read 1,110,097 times
It is not necessary to issue veterans an ID card simply for being a vet...this is redundant and not cost effective...more bloat from the government. As stated all you need to do is sign up with the VA and a Dept. of Veterans Affairs ID card will be issued. You do not need to be disabled and you will find that later in life it could prove to be a cost effective way to cut medical expenses. If you sign up with the VA when you ETS or retire you will not have to go back later and possibly have to find lost important documents. This is what the Dept. Veterans Affairs is for...Please do not support this bill.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:24 AM

26,009 posts, read 22,203,791 times
If you use the CBOC (Community Based Outpatient Clinic), you are not issued an ID. I think issuing an ID is a good idea. And, one of the things that people don't realize is that although this costs money to do, it creates a demand for product and creates a job or two. Nearly every industry in the US is financially dependent on the government in some way. Maybe we could have a designation put on our driver's license or state issued ID for those that don't drive that verifies (take in a 214) we are veteran? It would be nice because carrying the DD214 is rather bulky and I don't keep it with me all the time. Both myself and my husband are veterans. People tend to eye a female veteran rather oddly anyway - "You mean your husband is a veteran?"

Old 11-18-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
It is not necessary to issue veterans an ID card simply for being a vet...this is redundant and not cost effective...more bloat from the government. As stated all you need to do is sign up with the VA and a Dept. of Veterans Affairs ID card will be issued. You do not need to be disabled and you will find that later in life it could prove to be a cost effective way to cut medical expenses. If you sign up with the VA when you ETS or retire you will not have to go back later and possibly have to find lost important documents. This is what the Dept. Veterans Affairs is for...Please do not support this bill.

This bill allows the VA to do this for veterans who are not receiving medical care or who have not retired from the service. If the VA already does this then the bill isn't necessary.

I contacted the VA about this, before I posted this message, and this is their reply:

"The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides Veterans Identification Card (VIC) for your use at VA medical facilities. You can contact the enrollment office at your local VA Medical Center to obtain your card. The VIC will only be issued to veterans who are eligible for VA medical benefits and for the purpose of identification and check-in for your VA appointment. This is the only ID card offered for veterans by VA."

So, as you can see, the VA does NOT issue ID cards for all veterans only for ones seeking medical treatment.

I'm sorry that you feel this is "bloat". But, there are many of us who would like to have an ID that shows we served honorably in the U.S. Military.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
If you use the CBOC (Community Based Outpatient Clinic), you are not issued an ID. I think issuing an ID is a good idea. And, one of the things that people don't realize is that although this costs money to do, it creates a demand for product and creates a job or two. Nearly every industry in the US is financially dependent on the government in some way. Maybe we could have a designation put on our driver's license or state issued ID for those that don't drive that verifies (take in a 214) we are veteran? It would be nice because carrying the DD214 is rather bulky and I don't keep it with me all the time. Both myself and my husband are veterans. People tend to eye a female veteran rather oddly anyway - "You mean your husband is a veteran?"

I would like to see my State do that for our driver's licenses. That is a great idea.

The bill that is currently being reviewed allows the VA to charge X amount of money for the ID card. They won't be out a single dime in their budget. They will figure out how much it will cost to issue the card, and then charge a fair amount to cover the cost of the ID.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:06 AM

782 posts, read 1,110,097 times
Quote:
This bill allows the VA to do this for veterans who are not receiving medical care or who have not retired from the service. If the VA already does this then the bill isn't necessary.

I contacted the VA about this, before I posted this message, and this is their reply:

"The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides Veterans Identification Card (VIC) for your use at VA medical facilities. You can contact the enrollment office at your local VA Medical Center to obtain your card. The VIC will only be issued to veterans who are eligible for VA medical benefits and for the purpose of identification and check-in for your VA appointment. This is the only ID card offered for veterans by VA."

So, as you can see, the VA does NOT issue ID cards for all veterans only for ones seeking medical treatment.

I'm sorry that you feel this is "bloat". But, there are many of us who would like to have an ID that shows we served honorably in the U.S. Military.
Enrolling in the VA Healthcare System IS seeking medical treatment. So go get a phyiscal. You can't be denied. You might have a priority that is less then desireable but if you are a veteran they cannot deny you the opportunity to enroll. And I know alot of vets that use the VA when they retire but didn''t need to until then. More then once I have heard a vet say "I enrolled when I got out but never thought I would need it. Now I am glad I did." I have never heard of NOT being issued an ID card because you use the community based clinics..thats news to me.
Having Veteran status designated on drivers licenses is an excellant idea and I would fully support that. Who knows it might get you out of a ticket once or twice.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:13 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,728,742 times
Quote:

I'd have to agree with those who say you should just enroll in the VA and get an ID even if you make no claim for benefits. IDs are a problem for the military and the new ones are going to contain a lot of coded information. Making the military go through that just so you can get a free mini meal at Applebees seems to be an uneccessary expense.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I'd have to agree with those who say you should just enroll in the VA and get an ID even if you make no claim for benefits. IDs are a problem for the military and the new ones are going to contain a lot of coded information. Making the military go through that just so you can get a free mini meal at Applebees seems to be an uneccessary expense.

Getting a free meal is the last thing on my mind. I have never asked for a freel meal from anyplace. Not even on Veteran's Day. So, your accusation is out of line.

It's your right not to support the bill.

But, it's also my right to support it. Which I will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues